Land Rover ownership–A special illness?

oldcase

Observer
It must be spreading around the country. I have an appointment to go look at a 95 Discovery this afternoon. Only has about 80 K miles and it is a 5 speed.

Should I take a couple of aspirins before I go to keep the "fever" down?

Wish me luck.

:smiley_drive:

TeriAnn

Explorer
I am sure its an illness. My wife won't drive anything else other then a Rover.

I disagree. It is not an illness, it is a state of reality that differs from those who have different realities. An illness implies that you are sick. I believe that it is more a state of being.

My reality is that I bought a broken down worn out 18 year old Land Rover 30 years ago that suits me just fine. She is an extension to my personalty. I mostly treat her right and she mostly treats me right. Sometimes we let each other down but all and all she enables me to do things and go places that I otherwise would not do or go. She also taught me how to work on cars. She is a game little truck that has always got me home. It has never been a matter of if we will get home, but sometimes it has been a matter of when we would limp home.

Me and my Land Rover just are and I deny being sick.

iveco4x4

I've just sold my Landrover 101 Tiggurr and although it was the right thing to do and i love my new iveco 4x4 i'm still pining for a landrover already

A diesel 88 inch ragtop pre '73 will do just fine

The garage has already started filling up with iveco parts so the rover mentality obviously follows you...........

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Me and my Land Rover just are and I deny being sick.
Denial ain't just a river. ;)
stuartSmalley.jpg

thecriscokid

Explorer
I had a few day test drive with a Lady that I was trying to buy from a buddy and came down with a slight fever from that...
Just keep up on those vitamins guys!

James86004

Expedition Leader
It is not an illness. More like a way of life. To some it is almost a religion.

If you care about the pattern of the crystals when you get your parts back from the galvanizer, you understand.

Wander

Expedition Leader
I'm sure I've got it and I don't even have one yet- which makes it even worse. If I could find a way to scrape up the $$ to buy the series II I spyed I would. I have also convinced myself that I will not be able to find one like this when I can afford it.

The prospect of having to travel a long way and attempy to drive it home, slowly actually is a high point for me.

ShearPin

Adventurer
The first time my wife saw my Series III we jumped off a plane from Toronto, Canada and picked "Eore" up from the San Diego storage unit he was parked in. We headed for two weeks down Baja. On the way home we received an unfriendly remark from fellow gringo's at a gas station - something about clogging up the road. I smiled and waived and kept my reply for later. She laughed and remarked that I was a "smug" traveler. "Smug" because we were just barely making it home.

For me the Land Rover illness is the sense of achievement I get from the intimate knowledge of the whine whirs bangs and pops, a field repair, even limping home with no idea what went wrong. Getting their and getting back. I've read it a 100 times - Land Rovers are for Romantics....

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
A friend of mine and I (both Roverphiles) have this discussion at least two times a week (he is Rover Trader). There is some attachment to the trucks that defies logic.
I drive a NAS 110 daily, own a 1995 Rangie Classic, and a 2006 Rangie HSE.
The NAS is big, slow, tricked, hot, but always draws a crowd and is fun.
It makes no sense to own it and drive it (other than it is the only truck I have ever owned that is holding ... if not gaining in value).

I have now officially owned 14 rovers over the last 10 years.

My wife says she would get a lot more attention from me if she had a green oval tattooed to her booty!

Just sayin'

Dendy

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
TriAnn has attained that special status where the bell curve has no application to normal :)
Terminal?? Well, perhaps, but if it is, it unfortunately kills very slowly....

Me, totally normal- by Rover standards. Had to buy a '97 XD because it was rusting away, and was our Yanks first chance at a Special Vehicles in the US. Traded a spare tranny for a donor body/frame from a like minded lepper, and now doing the dreaded swap dance.... Not to worry though. I was considerring selling the 130Tdi and 110 Tdi to get the Earthroamer available, but fear it is too, well, normal.....

And not to mention, how, well......cheeky the LRs are as a whole. Maybe it's just the lingo??
Cheers!!

Oh, and Ron- how can you have friends other than Rover folks when they can't communicate- hoods, bonnett, etc.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Admitting you have an illness is the first step on the road to recovery.

Me...? What illness?:smiley_drive: I've got my wife convinced she needs to sell her Benz and buy an '04 DII.:snorkel:

The thought of not owning a rover is unthinkable. But it makes no sense. Poor gas mileage, poor aerodynamics, expensive parts, Lucas, waving at everything with a green or black oval, spending your spare time helping another roverphile (whom you've never met before) fix his truck... Scott is right, love what you drive.:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy