Lexus GX470 Expedition build

boo471

Adventurer
God, I love this truck. Such a great execution. That bumper turned out fantastic. I'm very impressed with your rig so far! Keep up the great work!

I was actually looking into getting one of those when I sold my Discovery. Mostly because I have a secret love affair with the same body style Prado. :)

Thanks! I really appreciate the kind words. The GX has turned out to be a great platform. I'm from Europe and over there it's just called the land cruiser 120 but looks just like the Prado and of course it has the awesome diesels instead of the thirsty V8 that I am stuck with here in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darklight777

Very nice, to bad I couldn't make it out to Uwharrie. Maybe next time. Looks like the fall leaves are changing pretty good out there. Might have to go this coming weekend if I can. I like the snorkle on your GX it looks good. No worries next water crossing,

boo471

Adventurer
Very nice, to bad I couldn't make it out to Uwharrie. Maybe next time. Looks like the fall leaves are changing pretty good out there. Might have to go this coming weekend if I can. I like the snorkle on your GX it looks good. No worries next water crossing,

The snorkel is growing on me. Starting to like it more and more.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
bumper came out great. one more thing knocked of the list. not a fan of snorkel systems but i do want one for dusty roads.

DanKunz

Adventurer
I love my snorkel, but I share your hatred of the install. I had more scratches and soreness in my hands from trying to get those damn washers and nuts on I almost lost my mind.

boo471

Adventurer
bumper came out great. one more thing knocked of the list. not a fan of snorkel systems but i do want one for dusty roads.

Yes there are diffidently some good reasons to get a snorkel

I love my snorkel, but I share your hatred of the install. I had more scratches and soreness in my hands from trying to get those damn washers and nuts on I almost lost my mind.

My knuckles are all cut up at the moment. &^#*@ snorkel!

Kole

Adventurer
When I did my snorkel install I removed all but two of the top bolts on my fender (and left them loose) and pulled the bottom bolts so I could effectively hinge my fender. I aligned the snorkel and tightened the easily accessed bolts so the snorkel wouldn't move. Then I removed the bolts from the A-Pillar mount and pivoted the fender up from the bottom. That gave me plenty of access and my knuckles thanked me.

boo471

Adventurer
Last night I decided to test out the light system and bumper for the first time. I have never really wheeled during darkness before so that was something new to me. And knowing that you are all by yourself, your alone in the car, no other trucks on the trails and barley any one else in the entire national forest except yourself and a few hunters made the trip a little more thrilling. Knowing that if somethings goes wrong you only have yourself to fall back on.

I tried to not doing anything to crazy so I never really got to smash my bumper on anything. But I did notice that I did get a lot better clearance going over boulders when there was no longer a front bumper to hit the rock before my front wheels started climbing the rocks. So the bumper did great on the clearance side. Durability test will have to come at another time when I have someone else with me or have a winch installed.

The lightning system overall worked great. I must say that I am extremely impressed with my 2x 9" HIDs mounted in the front. They are the flood light version and not the spots. The reach of the lights is similar to my HID converted high beams (they reach pretty far) but the beam pattern on does 9" HIDs is great. Not only is the reach great. Its a broad beam that will light up the forest on the side of the road so you can easily spot any wild life wanting to cross the road several hundred yards away. In speeds over 15mph these lights where in a different league compared to my LEDs. The HIDs worked great on the trail as well. But did not throw a beam wide enough to give you a great overview of your surroundings. The best set up for a trail truck would probably be to combine these 2 HIDs with 2 smaller (i.e 6") HID light bars to give you a wider beam pattern. But on a gravel road or any back country road these 2 lights is everything you will ever need. I am extremely happy with the performance.

The 42,5" LED light bar on the roof produce a scary amount of light. To much light actually. It has a very wide beam pattern and gives you a great overview of the trail in front of you. But it produce so much light that anything with in 30 yards (bushes, signs, your hood or whatever) will almost hurt your eyes because they are so bright. I would recommend you to get one or two small LED light bars instead of a beast like this. It is overkill for pretty much any application but it will work pretty good on the trails. But in any speeds over 15mph it is just pure dangerous driving with this thing turned on. That is my personal view of it. Other people might think these big light bars are perfect.

My LEDs on the side on the other hand was perfect to have for trail riding. They gave me a decent amount of light to see what I had on the side of my truck. The 2 10W LEDs mounted further back on the rack is a lot stronger and has a more concentrated beam pattern then the 2 19W LEDs mounted in the front. Mixing the 2 together actually gave a very good light set up.

All lights mounted on the truck including the HID converted lights are 6000K lights.

Here are some shaky shoots on the side lightning:
DSCF2903_zps022cf501.jpg

DSCF2901_zpsee3b56cc.jpg

Here you have my different lights turned on (Not pitch black outside yet so it wont give you a accurate view of how bright they actually are.
Low beam (HID converted)
DSCF2884_zps2d647bfb.jpg

Low beam (HID converted) + High Beam (HID Converted)
DSCF2885_zpse6711cc8.jpg

Low beam (HID converted) + High Beam (HID Converted) + 2x 9" 55W HIDs
DSCF2886_zpsc70294bc.jpg

Low beam (HID converted) + High Beam (HID Converted) + 2x 9" 55W HIDs + 42,5" 230W LED light Bar
DSCF2887_zps04e9c07f.jpg

Here you can see that the set up is a little to much when you get close to a bank or a bush. Its just WHITE and you can barley see shadows or lines of anything:
DSCF2900_zps1a53bfd1.jpg

Here are some random picture from the ride:

About to start a decent down a steeep hill
DSCF2880_zps2ed6f7fb.jpg

DSCF2882_zpsd6b88bd1.jpg

DSCF2883_zps72ab2c36.jpg

DSCF2888_zpsad93eb7d.jpg

A belly shoot!
DSCF2890_zpse3148860.jpg

Some of the trails in Uwharrie can feel a little claustrophobic when you have high walls of mud surrounding you.
DSCF2894_zpsee53cb2a.jpg

DSCF2895_zpsa614e5ab.jpg

DSCF2899_zpsf02fab4d.jpg

Airing up getting ready to head back home:
DSCF2906_zpsaa310a60.jpg

She is slow but she gets the job done:
DSCF2907_zps702bad0d.jpg

When you are alone in the dark forest it makes you behave in the most strange ways.
DSCF2909_zps14502a3f.jpg

It was a beautiful night:
DSCF2911_zps19b0e09a.jpg

Overall I am very happy with the light set up. I do wish that I would have gotten 2 smaller LED light bars instead of this monster. Its just to much light all over the place for actually being useful. At least it looks cool.

Last edited:

boo471

Adventurer
When I did my snorkel install I removed all but two of the top bolts on my fender (and left them loose) and pulled the bottom bolts so I could effectively hinge my fender. I aligned the snorkel and tightened the easily accessed bolts so the snorkel wouldn't move. Then I removed the bolts from the A-Pillar mount and pivoted the fender up from the bottom. That gave me plenty of access and my knuckles thanked me.

That would have been the smart way of doing it :)

Bretthn

Explorer
Awesome pictures! I need to try to make a night run with you to Uwharrie. I bet it is like having a completely new trail system after dark.

boo471

Adventurer
Awesome pictures! I need to try to make a night run with you to Uwharrie. I bet it is like having a completely new trail system after dark.

I was a lot of fun and yeah you sure look at the trail in a different way compared to daylight wheeling. I'm up for another evening ride.

Last edited:

Darklight777

Looks like you have plenty of light for a good night run. I really like the idea of lights mounted to the sides and back of the roof rack and I have thought about doing this for my 4Runner for a while now. Just need to get a good roof rack first,lol. Keep up the good work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3