Lexus GX470 Expedition build

boo471

Adventurer
Damn those were good night shots!

Thanks. Bretthn recommended me to start bringing an actual camera instead of mu cell phone. It kind of makes a big difference :)

Looks like you have plenty of light for a good night run. I really like the idea of lights mounted to the sides and back of the roof rack and I have thought about doing this for my 4Runner for a while now. Just need to get a good roof rack first,lol. Keep up the good work.

Yeah there is no lack of lights that's for sure. The only place I would like some ambient lightning is under the truck. So some rock lights will be mounted to. The side lights is really good. Helps a lot in tight spots or when trying to locate where to turn when its dark outside.

Well, maybe our collaboration project should be a roof rack for you. That is doable in a weekend if you have the material. I used 1" DOM tubing, 3/4" HREW, expanded metal and some small pieces of 3/16 sheet metal to make mine. Its very simple, The only hard part is to make sure its square. It is very easy to get it to warp when welding them.

Last edited:

boo471

Adventurer
the monster light bar will be good for the desert or huge open areas

That is probably where it belongs. I think it's a bit to much for tight trails in the forest but I guess there are a lot of folks that are fine with this much light.

Darklight777

Yeah, that sound like a fun and good weekend project for us to work on. I have a allot of ideas and dreams. I just need to turn them into a reality, lol. I will let you know when time comes though for sure, Christmas season is a busy time for me at work. Might be the begining of the year. You have a pipe bender right and where did you source your materials from?

boo471

Adventurer
Yeah, that sound like a fun and good weekend project for us to work on. I have a allot of ideas and dreams. I just need to turn them into a reality, lol. I will let you know when time comes though for sure, Christmas season is a busy time for me at work. Might be the begining of the year. You have a pipe bender right and where did you source your materials from?

No problem just let me know when. I get all my steel from http://www.metalsdepot.com

Yes I have a pipe bender, it sucks but it gets the job done.

boo471

Adventurer
Im trying to keep myself out of the garage for a while. I have some ideas on mods for the truck that I need to get down on paper. And I want to make sure I think them thru before I start cutting in the car.

I will try and keep you folks updated with any sketches that come out of my head. And I will try to make sketches or 3D models out of everything so I know how to move on.

As I have written in the first post of this thread I would like to put a long travel kit on the truck. Pre-built = Bought or custom/home made. Anyhow, I figured I would get the chance to use my old skills with fiberglass if I do this. So I started sketching on front fenders that are wider to cover for the new stance. And more room for travel and bigger wheels. I might even fit 35s. Should be fine putting 35s on if I will drop the diffs for lockers I might as well put in new 4.88 Nitro Gears in it.

Any thoughts on the design?

ScreenShot2013-11-10at52119PM_zps9b0403f5.png

Last edited:

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
The sketch looks great. Looks like the lights did their job. Let me know when you want to do an evening run, I'm right between you, and Uwharrie.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

DanKunz

Adventurer
You will find the limits of the GX's tie rods with larger than 285/70/17s. I keep finding it now (second tie rod in two years).

If you want to run 35s reinforce your tie rods, but not so much that you translate the force into the CV.

I am about done with IFS. SAS is on the savings budget.

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
I like the updates!

Wow on the lighting. You are not short on any of it. Great setup for wide open places. For those kinds of trails, you should lead the way or else you'd blind the poor soul in front of you. hahahaha Get those rock lights going, those will be the bee's knees. The up high side floods are definitely awesome. Just wait till you go night snow wheeling. :D

For the front suspension (I'm learning here in this section, lol) does the GX share any similarity with the FJ Cruiser? Check out my friend here at about the 2:58 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQyr6zXRazE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3