Locker / Gear setup...

Nikson

Explorer
FishPoet,

Please do not take this the wrong way, but as someone who has almost nothing to do with Naxja you are entirely unqualified to state that nothing was done about the BSC situation.

Do you know why that group called themselves the 'Black Sheep Crew'? It was because they had already been informed that behavoir and attitude was unwelcome within Naxja, so they took their ball and went home.

That thread was handled poorly, and eventually a moderator lost his powers and was replaced over it - but the situation was addressed by the club, out of the general publics eyes, where such business belongs. (Naxja is after all a club that has a forum, and not just a website like so many other 'clubs' are).

For a couple of years now you have been slandering Naxja offline and online, over a single event (or perhaps 2-3 in a short time frame) by a group of people who went out of their way to affiliate themselves *NOT* with Naxja, and over a brief period of poor moderation in one out of 30 or so subforums.

When I joined Naxja in 2004, I found a tight family of Cherokee owners who enjoyed camping and wheeling together. Some years later the club started to lose that, and following sound advice I was given as a child:

"If you don't like how something works, fix it.".

I am now in my second term as a club director and the SoCal Vice President.

I don't expect you to run out, join the club and start running for offices, but if you aren't prepared to at minimum start by submitting something the chapter or national board of directors for Naxja, please stop crying to the rest of the world.

As for others comments that Naxja has a lot of younger and more mouthy members in tech these days, I'll have to concede that is true.. and as long as no one sticks around to set a good example, that is what people are likely to see, too. :/

-Cal

ps: EP guys, please forgive me for intruding on your forum here, this just really needed to be addressed some time and some place, it ended up being here.

:coffee: I've always sort of considered NAXJA to be different from EXPO, thus my questions here about the lockers and not on NAXJA's site...

Seems like people with same "goals" are here and there... thus I am more of an explorer type driver rather then "trailer your rig" type... although some day that might be a case as well.

Thanks for some clarification...

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
You need to define better. What is the end goal.

NV242 has an AWD mode.

NV231 is slightly stronger.

NV231 has more aftermarket support (SYE, 4:1 gearing).

NV242 can be made brutally strong by using parts from a NV242AMG (from Hummer H1).

I like the NV242. Others like the NV231.

Nikson

Explorer
Cal,

You call me a slanderer and then collaborate what I posted?

You say something was done out of the general publics eyes yet it was me who was attacked and not only did you failed to inform me that you had taken action, but you left the post. It is still there today some 5 months later and the BSC continue to post.

Feel free to call me anytime (562) 691-3321 if you want to discuss this further.

Back to the regularly scheduled topic.

This might not be funny, but sort of cracks me up...

Locker / Gear setup post GONE CRAZY... :) :) :) :victory:

Nikson

Explorer
You need to define better. What is the end goal.

NV242 has an AWD mode.

NV231 is slightly stronger.

NV231 has more aftermarket support (SYE, 4:1 gearing).

NV242 can be made brutally strong by using parts from a NV242AMG (from Hummer H1).

I like the NV242. Others like the NV231.

Well, I've got the 231 right now... and havent been able to tell much difference between the 242 / 231 when wheeling...

I guess this is getting more into the technical side of the story...

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I run the NV242 for the "fire and forget" all weather traction. Admittedly, my Jeep is a winter time garage queen now (rust belt).

Off-road the transfer cases are pretty much identical. They are both locked in 4Low and they both have 2.72:1 low range.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
You have a differential between your 2 front tires.

You have a differential between your 2 rear tires.

Full time 4wd (All wheel drive) adds a differential type device between your front tires and your rear tires. Some full time transfer cases, ie the 242, allow you to lock the front and rear tires together (lock out the differential device) for use on dirt, snow, ice, etc.

Part time 4wd locks your front tires and your rear tires together. It should not be engaged on dry pavement.

I'm still having a hard time visualizing it, I think I'll just have to scrounge the internet for some sort of an animation or something. I understand the difference between full time and part time, but I'm having difficulty seeing how this transfer case differential thing works, like how it functions and stuff.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Correct me if I'm wrong - There's a chain in the transfer case. This chain drives the front driveshaft at the same speed the rear driveshaft is turning because they are connected. This means that neither shaft can spin different speeds, thus being "locked" together. Does that make sense?

DrMoab

Explorer
Correct me if I'm wrong - There's a chain in the transfer case. This chain drives the front driveshaft at the same speed the rear driveshaft is turning because they are connected. This means that neither shaft can spin different speeds, thus being "locked" together. Does that make sense?

Not totally,

First you have to break this down into the two transfer cases in jeep world. The 231 and the 242. There is also others but lets stick to the XJ set up for now.

The 231...

When you are in 2wd, the input shaft goes straight through the case and to the rear output shaft. In a super duper simplified manor, this shaft goes through the cogs that are hooked to the chain that spins the front shaft. In Two wheel drive, it isn't connected at all to the chain, the chain is freewheeling in the case. When you put it into 4hi those cogs connect to the chain sending power to the front axle. Right in front of those cogs is a planetary gear set. When you pull it into 4lo, the power runs through that planetary set which reduces the gearing.

A 242 works the same way in 4hi lock and 4 low however in 4 full time, the cogs that run to the chain that runs the front axle are run through basically a differential. It works just like an open diff in the rear of your jeep. It splits the power 50/50 if all things are equal and there is equal traction going to each wheel. However, if one wheel set or axle is running faster than the other the "center diff" will allow movement so nothing binds up.

If you were to take the front or rear shaft out of a jeep running a 242 and you put the transfer case into full time, the jeep would just sit there. All of the power would go to what ever shaft you had disconnected just exactly like it would if you had an open diff and one tire off the ground. All the power would go to that one tire.

You could think of it as if you had an axle going lengthwise in your jeep...front to rear with the diff being in the tcase and the driveshafts acting as the axle shafts. It works exactly the same way. When you put it into 4 lock...either low or high range, then the transfer case acts as a "locker"

Clear as mud, I know.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
You could think of it as if you had an axle going lengthwise in your jeep...front to rear with the diff being in the tcase and the driveshafts acting as the axle shafts. It works exactly the same way. When you put it into 4 lock...either low or high range, then the transfer case acts as a "locker"

Clear as mud, I know.

Clear as Evian water actually!

Nikson

Explorer
Not totally,

First you have to break this down into the two transfer cases in jeep world. The 231 and the 242. There is also others but lets stick to the XJ set up for now.

The 231...

When you are in 2wd, the input shaft goes straight through the case and to the rear output shaft. In a super duper simplified manor, this shaft goes through the cogs that are hooked to the chain that spins the front shaft. In Two wheel drive, it isn't connected at all to the chain, the chain is freewheeling in the case. When you put it into 4hi those cogs connect to the chain sending power to the front axle. Right in front of those cogs is a planetary gear set. When you pull it into 4lo, the power runs through that planetary set which reduces the gearing.

A 242 works the same way in 4hi lock and 4 low however in 4 full time, the cogs that run to the chain that runs the front axle are run through basically a differential. It works just like an open diff in the rear of your jeep. It splits the power 50/50 if all things are equal and there is equal traction going to each wheel. However, if one wheel set or axle is running faster than the other the "center diff" will allow movement so nothing binds up.

If you were to take the front or rear shaft out of a jeep running a 242 and you put the transfer case into full time, the jeep would just sit there. All of the power would go to what ever shaft you had disconnected just exactly like it would if you had an open diff and one tire off the ground. All the power would go to that one tire.

Clear as mud, I know.

Thats why I am going to do the SYE when I do my gears / lockers, this way I can crack the transfer case open and actually realize whats going on in there.

I guess it might be a good idea to throw that 4:1 kit into it as well, ha?

FishPOET

Adventurer
nv242Newer.jpg

DSC00509.jpg

Pics are from mallcrawlin

DrMoab

Explorer
I guess it might be a good idea to throw that 4:1 kit into it as well, ha?

Personally, I would run far far away from a 4 to 1 unless you plan on using this jeep to crawl over rocks exclusively. a 4 to 1 gear set is much much too low to use for most normal stuff you would use low range for. Add to that the fact that if its a Tera kit they won't run over 3000 RPM without melting down and it leaves you with a pretty much worthless transfer case.

Ask most of the guys with Rubicons and they will tell you that on normal dirt roads with the occasional hard obstical you will constantly be running out of gears and switching to 4hi. With a normal 2.72 to 1 ratio it is plently low enough for even harder rock crawling (I never ran anything lower than that, even on my dedicated rock rigs) yet it will still allow you a top speed in high gear of around 40 mph. Top speed with a 4 to 1 is around 25 if I remember right. Lower if you go with Tera because they burn up at higher RPM's.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Personally, I would run far far away from a 4 to 1 unless you plan on using this jeep to crawl over rocks exclusively. a 4 to 1 gear set is much much too low to use for most normal stuff you would use low range for. Add to that the fact that if its a Tera kit they won't run over 3000 RPM without melting down and it leaves you with a pretty much worthless transfer case.

Personally, rather than doing the 231 with a SYE and the 4 low kit I would instead start looking for an NV241OR transfer case out of a Rubicon. Then you'd have your fixed yoke and the 4.0:1 low range. It does make sense to kill two birds with one stone by doing both upgrades to the 231 at the same time, but also I think you would be opening up a can of worms.

Somebody posted in the "Cheap Mods" thread a little thing from a company called Montana Fab that over rides the automatic shifting from 1st to 2nd in the AW4. So if you kept the stock 2.72:1 gearing in the 231 transfer case, and then flipped the switch to stay in first gear instead of shifting up at 4500 rpm, you'll keep your maximum torque for crawling. Doing that in combination with the right gearing in your diffs, you could get pretty close to the capabilities of a 4.0 low range.

Nikson

Explorer

Ask most of the guys with Rubicons and they will tell you that on normal dirt roads with the occasional hard obstical you will constantly be running out of gears and switching to 4hi. With a normal 2.72 to 1 ratio it is plently low enough for even harder rock crawling (I never ran anything lower than that, even on my dedicated rock rigs) yet it will still allow you a top speed in high gear of around 40 mph. Top speed with a 4 to 1 is around 25 if I remember right. Lower if you go with Tera because they burn up at higher RPM's.

Definitely something to consider... I have to say that the way it is now, is just about enough, but it feels like 33s and 3.55 gear ratio in axles isnt enough...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal