Locker / Gear setup...

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I did a little experiment last night*, I went out to a little road constructed by the local power company to aid in stringing high voltage lines across a wide valley. Its a short road up the shoulder of a mountain, and its steepest part I would estimate at about a 30 degree angle.

My jeep is pretty much stock, the NP231 with 2.72 low range and 3.55 gearing in the axles and an AW4 transmission rolling on 235/75 tires. Coming down that steepest part, which is fairly smooth and not much for rocks or dips or anything, I put my transfer case in low range and transmission in 1st. I never touched the brake or the gas (just coasted), my RPMs barely got to 1000 and I never got moving fast enough for the speedo needle to move. I watched my tach and listened to the engine the whole time and it never went into 2nd, just not enough speed. So totally stock, it does pretty well. This is kind of relevant to the thread I guess, but I'm not sure how you could translate it to 33s with a different rear ratio.

*On my way into this hill I rounded a corner on the road and about 50 or 60 yards ahead of me there was a cow moose and her baby standing in the road. I stopped and watched them for a minute or so, and then the momma casually turned around and went up the hill into the trees. I couldn't see them when I drove by but I could hear them walking. Then coming back out the road borders tight against a creek and the same cow and young one were in the creek hanging out. I watched them for a couple minutes there, then went on my way. I got home and told my wife what I saw and she wanted to see them so we hurried back out there and sure enough they were still there about 20 minutes later, we sat for about 10 minutes and they just stayed there eating and every once in a while one would glance up at us. Moose are pretty cool animals, they don't have a care in the world.:elkgrin: (except that is an elk smiley)

Nikson

Explorer
I did a little experiment last night*, I went out to a little road constructed by the local power company to aid in stringing high voltage lines across a wide valley. Its a short road up the shoulder of a mountain, and its steepest part I would estimate at about a 30 degree angle.

My jeep is pretty much stock, the NP231 with 2.72 low range and 3.55 gearing in the axles and an AW4 transmission rolling on 235/75 tires. Coming down that steepest part, which is fairly smooth and not much for rocks or dips or anything, I put my transfer case in low range and transmission in 1st. I never touched the brake or the gas (just coasted), my RPMs barely got to 1000 and I never got moving fast enough for the speedo needle to move. I watched my tach and listened to the engine the whole time and it never went into 2nd, just not enough speed. So totally stock, it does pretty well. This is kind of relevant to the thread I guess, but I'm not sure how you could translate it to 33s with a different rear ratio.

*On my way into this hill I rounded a corner on the road and about 50 or 60 yards ahead of me there was a cow moose and her baby standing in the road. I stopped and watched them for a minute or so, and then the momma casually turned around and went up the hill into the trees. I couldn't see them when I drove by but I could hear them walking. Then coming back out the road borders tight against a creek and the same cow and young one were in the creek hanging out. I watched them for a couple minutes there, then went on my way. I got home and told my wife what I saw and she wanted to see them so we hurried back out there and sure enough they were still there about 20 minutes later, we sat for about 10 minutes and they just stayed there eating and every once in a while one would glance up at us. Moose are pretty cool animals, they don't have a care in the world.:elkgrin: (except that is an elk smiley)

Sweet NIGHT I guess... I love watching wild life... - relaxing...

P.s. So, could you note where your RPMs are at 65/70 MPH (assuming that you have OD on the tranny, seems like same set up as me, only I run 33s now)...

I wonder how XJ carries itself fully stock, vs mine on 33s...

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Totally bone stock I run just a little below 2000 rpms at 60 mph. I really don't go much faster than that because its a little more comfortable ride and I notice a pretty big drop of gas mileage from 60 to 70. At 70 though it is usually above 2500 if I remember correctly.

Correction: I jest went out for lunch and got up to 70 and my tach was just a tad above the 2250 line, which still isn't that high either.

Last edited:

Nikson

Explorer
Totally bone stock I run just a little below 2000 rpms at 60 mph. I really don't go much faster than that because its a little more comfortable ride and I notice a pretty big drop of gas mileage from 60 to 70. At 70 though it is usually above 2500 if I remember correctly.

Correction: I jest went out for lunch and got up to 70 and my tach was just a tad above the 2250 line, which still isn't that high either.

So, it would be safe to say that 2500-2600 RPMs at 70 w/33s is a reasonable range...

Thanks for doing this...

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Novak calculations are showing that with 33 inch tires and 4.56 gears in overdrive you'll be cruising just under 2500, and with 4.88 just over 2600. Your XJ has the 8.25 rear axle right? I remember reading somewhere that 4.56 is the lowest ratio available for that axle so it looks like that is going to have to be the one you go with.

Nikson

Explorer
Novak calculations are showing that with 33 inch tires and 4.56 gears in overdrive you'll be cruising just under 2500, and with 4.88 just over 2600. Your XJ has the 8.25 rear axle right? I remember reading somewhere that 4.56 is the lowest ratio available for that axle so it looks like that is going to have to be the one you go with.

Yeah, I guess I forgot to consider that option... Well, from what I hear a lot of "other" guys run 4.56s with 35's, so 33's should be right about alright... :)

DrMoab

Explorer
Im going out on the desert for some desert spring driving time and some photos.

I'll give you a break down at 5 MPH increments from 55 to 70 when I get home.

Running 33s and 4:56 gears.

DrMoab

Explorer
OK. Here is what I came up with.

2001 XJ
Half worn 285-70-17 BFG KM2's
4:56 gearing

All readings in overdrive with the torque converter locked up.

50 MPH 1850 RPM
55 MPH 2050 RPM
60 MPH 2250 RPM
65 MPH 2350 RPM
70 MPH 2525 RPM

Hope that helps.

Nikson

Explorer
OK. Here is what I came up with.

2001 XJ
Half worn 285-70-17 BFG KM2's
4:56 gearing

All readings in overdrive with the torque converter locked up.

50 MPH 1850 RPM
55 MPH 2050 RPM
60 MPH 2250 RPM
65 MPH 2350 RPM
70 MPH 2525 RPM

Hope that helps.

Cool, this is some great teamwork fellas... I really appreciate all the feedback.

I guess with 4.88s, I would be looking at 200RPM on top of your readings, correct?
( i am assuming your tires pretty close to 33s?)

DrMoab

Explorer
( i am assuming your tires pretty close to 33s?)

I had a buddy with a set of brand new KM2s. His were 33-12.50-15 and you could put a level across the top of them, they were exactly the same. Of course mine were half wore down so they could be a little bigger new but close enough for this.

Nikson

Explorer
I had a buddy with a set of brand new KM2s. His were 33-12.50-15 and you could put a level across the top of them, they were exactly the same. Of course mine were half wore down so they could be a little bigger new but close enough for this.

Now I guess the decision is needed to be made... between 4.56 & 4.88 gears...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3