Looking for opinions on the Ford Maverick

Jo_Duval

Observer
i have a maverick. XLT, FX4, tow package. It’s a 2022, we are currently at 100 600km. We commute to work 60km each way from rural to the city so no real bumper to bumper traffic. It averages 8L/100km.
Super comfortable. We own a farm and haul feed, hay, lumber, livestock, concrete most weeks.
I’ve hauled 1800 pounds of concrete in the bed. Brought the tractor to and from the dealer about 6000 pounds with the trailer.

Things I don’t like, tailgate when open is really close to the bumper. Vents are a pain to aim (first world problem), wiper cowl gets filled with ice and snow. Dealers around here are ********.

No abnormal repairs except sway bar end links,then tires, brakes, oil changes.

Attachments

• 8CE33D1B-414F-414A-B11C-E325BAA0A3A6.jpeg
    8CE33D1B-414F-414A-B11C-E325BAA0A3A6.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 5BB96F69-4C0E-46EF-9BC4-181E02E826BD.jpeg
    5BB96F69-4C0E-46EF-9BC4-181E02E826BD.jpeg
    849.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 9C86AF16-02A7-4BC1-87E1-380BC16D088E.jpeg
    9C86AF16-02A7-4BC1-87E1-380BC16D088E.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Jo_Duval

Observer
You towed 6k with a maverick? That almost the capacity of a ranger….
Yeah, it did fantastic and mileage was pretty good. Loading empty pallets above the cab is worst than towing 6k. Both for mileage and drivability.

… I was expecting to lose fuel mileage or it struggle going up hills, not a second. There are stories of ford testing the truck at the same loads as the ranger.

Also 1800pounds of concrete in the bed is far more than the payload. Stacked it real close to the cab and all was good.

Last edited:

STREGA

Explorer
I've had my 2023 Maverick for almost 1 year. Has 7K miles on it. I have an AWD XLT EcoBoost Gas with FX4 Off-Road, 4K Trailer Tow, Electronic Door Keypad, Factory Rubber Floor Mats in Hot Chilli Pepper Red (Optional Color). MSRP sticker was $30,500. I paid $29,500 last September 2023 when delivered.

The Hybrids have had quite a few recalls and software issues. Most buyers of Mavericks (70+%) have ordered the cheap XL Hybrid. Ford STILL does not have enough capacity to fill those orders. Most buyers of Mavericks have never owned a truck before. The Hybrid 50 MPG city fuel mileage, 4 doors and small bed has a lot of appeal to buyers.

The Maverick is nothing more than the repackaging of a FOUR DOOR CAR WITH A SMALL BED instead of a trunk-lid or hatchback. The continuing evolution from a 4 door car with a trunk-lid to a 4 door SUV with a hatchback and now a 4 door "Trucklet" with a bed.

For ME the Maverick must haves were the 250 HP Gas Engine, AWD and the 4K Tow Package Capable of towing 4000 lbs versus the standard 2000 lb tow capacity on the FWD 250 HP Eco-boost gas Maverick and the 180 HP FWD Hybrid Maverick. With the 4K Tow package you get additional oil and transmission coolers, factory brake controller and a different gearing. In 2022-2024 the 4K Tow option was only available on the gas Eco-boost AWD Maverick.

For 2025 you can now get AWD and 4K Tow when ordering an AWD Hybrid Maverick. I have a 2025 AWD, 4K Tow equipped Hybrid Maverick on order. No FX4 Off-Road package available on the AWD Hybrid in 2025. Too Bad! I may or may not take it when it shows up. We'll see!

On the surface the Tremor looks like a great package which it is HOWEVER Maverick Tremor sales are far below sales expectations given the price and what you CANNOT GET on the Tremor package. The BIG ONE being the 4K Tow package. Most folks in the Maverick community say the Eco-Boost AWD with 4K Tow and FX4 is a much better package for all but the most off-road type of buyer. I would agree!

The Tremor package has some neat stuff such as a shiftable AWD and a kinda locker that will certainly get you deeper into trouble but not that much deeper. Poor suspension travel and other issues will severely limit where you can go. Hence the opinion that the AWD Eco-Boost with FX4 and 4K Trailer tow is a much cheaper and better combination.

I originally was going to order a Tremor when it was first announced. When I decided to order a Maverick I did not order the Tremor for 2 reasons. One, which did not happen was I thought everyone would order a Tremor and it would take forever to get one. Never happened. I still waited over 1 year from order to delivery for my 2023 AWD FX4 Maverick. Two, I could not get the 4K tow package on a Tremor which was mandatory for me.

In the end as stated above the Maverick Tremor sales are FAR BELOW expectations because of the none availability of the 4K Tow package and only the standard 2000 lb tow rating being the #1 quoted reason for slow Tremor sales along with high cost of the Tremor option. Super happy I DID NOT order a Tremor!

The Maverick is a GREAT $30K vehicle. The Maverick is NOT a great $40K vehicle which is where you can easily get to with the vast option list. Most any Tremor, Lariat equipped Gas/Hybrid or optioned up XLT are NOW $35K to $40K+. No longer a good deal in my opinion.

Leave it Ford screw up a good thing with massive MSRP price increases from the original launch price of $19,999 for an no option XL FWD Hybrid.

Do I like it?

You bet I do!

My only complaint with my Maverick is every Ford XLT truck ever built had a leather wrapped steering wheel. Not the Maverick. You get the same HARD PLASTIC steering wheel like the XL. You have to order a Lariat to get the leather wrapped steering wheel! Other than that I am completely satisfied!

The "Trucklet" is everything I expected. Runs 80 MPH all day and gets 28 MPG. Tows the boat or the pair of Jet Ski's no problem. It could tow my 1957 R20 Avion camper as it only weighs about 3000 lbs loaded however I have plenty of other trucks better suited to that task. The stock seats are comfortable and the XLT has everything you could want stock. Windows, locks, tilt, cruise, radio, power mirrors and more. The AWD Eco-Boost runs and drives great with plenty of power and comfort. I have not had any problems or issues with my Maverick.

A GREAT $30,000 vehicle.

Above that price point there

I've had my 2023 Maverick for almost 1 year. Has 7K miles on it. I have an AWD XLT EcoBoost Gas with FX4 Off-Road, 4K Trailer Tow, Electronic Door Keypad, Factory Rubber Floor Mats in Hot Chilli Pepper Red (Optional Color). MSRP sticker was $30,500. I paid $29,500 last September 2023 when delivered.

The Hybrids have had quite a few recalls and software issues. Most buyers of Mavericks (70+%) have ordered the cheap XL Hybrid. Ford STILL does not have enough capacity to fill those orders. Most buyers of Mavericks have never owned a truck before. The Hybrid 50 MPG city fuel mileage, 4 doors and small bed has a lot of appeal to buyers.

The Maverick is nothing more than the repackaging of a FOUR DOOR CAR WITH A SMALL BED instead of a trunk-lid or hatchback. The continuing evolution from a 4 door car with a trunk-lid to a 4 door SUV with a hatchback and now a 4 door "Trucklet" with a bed.

For ME the Maverick must haves were the 250 HP Gas Engine, AWD and the 4K Tow Package Capable of towing 4000 lbs versus the standard 2000 lb tow capacity on the FWD 250 HP Eco-boost gas Maverick and the 180 HP FWD Hybrid Maverick. With the 4K Tow package you get additional oil and transmission coolers, factory brake controller and a different gearing. In 2022-2024 the 4K Tow option was only available on the gas Eco-boost AWD Maverick.

For 2025 you can now get AWD and 4K Tow when ordering an AWD Hybrid Maverick. I have a 2025 AWD, 4K Tow equipped Hybrid Maverick on order. No FX4 Off-Road package available on the AWD Hybrid in 2025. Too Bad! I may or may not take it when it shows up. We'll see!

On the surface the Tremor looks like a great package which it is HOWEVER Maverick Tremor sales are far below sales expectations given the price and what you CANNOT GET on the Tremor package. The BIG ONE being the 4K Tow package. Most folks in the Maverick community say the Eco-Boost AWD with 4K Tow and FX4 is a much better package for all but the most off-road type of buyer. I would agree!

The Tremor package has some neat stuff such as a shiftable AWD and a kinda locker that will certainly get you deeper into trouble but not that much deeper. Poor suspension travel and other issues will severely limit where you can go. Hence the opinion that the AWD Eco-Boost with FX4 and 4K Trailer tow is a much cheaper and better combination.

I originally was going to order a Tremor when it was first announced. When I decided to order a Maverick I did not order the Tremor for 2 reasons. One, which did not happen was I thought everyone would order a Tremor and it would take forever to get one. Never happened. I still waited over 1 year from order to delivery for my 2023 AWD FX4 Maverick. Two, I could not get the 4K tow package on a Tremor which was mandatory for me.

In the end as stated above the Maverick Tremor sales are FAR BELOW expectations because of the none availability of the 4K Tow package and only the standard 2000 lb tow rating being the #1 quoted reason for slow Tremor sales along with high cost of the Tremor option. Super happy I DID NOT order a Tremor!

The Maverick is a GREAT $30K vehicle. The Maverick is NOT a great $40K vehicle which is where you can easily get to with the vast option list. Most any Tremor, Lariat equipped Gas/Hybrid or optioned up XLT are NOW $35K to $40K+. No longer a good deal in my opinion.

Leave it Ford screw up a good thing with massive MSRP price increases from the original launch price of $19,999 for an no option XL FWD Hybrid.

Do I like it?

You bet I do!

My only complaint with my Maverick is every Ford XLT truck ever built had a leather wrapped steering wheel. Not the Maverick. You get the same HARD PLASTIC steering wheel like the XL. You have to order a Lariat to get the leather wrapped steering wheel! Other than that I am completely satisfied!

The "Trucklet" is everything I expected. Runs 80 MPH all day and gets 28 MPG. Tows the boat or the pair of Jet Ski's no problem. It could tow my 1957 R20 Avion camper as it only weighs about 3000 lbs loaded however I have plenty of other trucks better suited to that task. The stock seats are comfortable and the XLT has everything you could want stock. Windows, locks, tilt, cruise, radio, power mirrors and more. The AWD Eco-Boost runs and drives great with plenty of power and comfort. I have not had any problems or issues with my Maverick.

A GREAT $30,000 vehicle.

Above that price point there are many other great vehicles to choose from!
I have to agree it’s a great $30K Trucklet but no way would I spend $40K on one. The Tremor package is overkill for me as I don’t have any plans to take it off road, l have the Ram to do that with. I would rather have the 4K towing and better fuel economy.
We started this saga of getting a second vehicle thinking we would find something used with reasonable mileage on it and priced reasonably but quickly found out that wasn’t going to happen. May as well spend a little bit more $$ and get a new vehicle. Of course new vehicles are ridiculously overpriced but the Maverick is in today’s world somewhat more affordable than most.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel
We've got a 2022 AWD gas-turbo Maverick at our race shop. We pile five big guys into it for lunch every day. We've lowered it. We've lifted it. Futzed around with different wheel and tire packages. It's got about 50k miles on it now and has been trouble-free. Lots of fun, more utility than you'd think, and easy to drive.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel
Here it is towing a BRZ to the track.
IMG_0875-L.jpg

And a few weeks later with a different wheel-tire and suspension on it.
IMG_7348-L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online