Looking for some Jeep advice - the pro's/con's

Desert Rancher

Looking to get a Jeep Grand Cherokee or a similar type SUV.

My basic requirements:
4WD-will see some annual snow usage.
4 door
Decent power, nice interior package, all power
Ability to do "mild off-road" day trips - I have an F250 7.3, 4x4 loaded with a Grandby pop-up and a Toy Hauler for the real trips.
Also need to trailer a small boat, PWC and ATV's. 2K max payload.

You guy's are knowledgeable.

Thank you!
Jeff

88Xj

Banned
Looking to get a Jeep Grand Cherokee or a similar type SUV.

My basic requirements:
4WD-will see some annual snow usage.
4 door
Decent power, nice interior package, all power
Ability to do "mild off-road" day trips - I have an F250 7.3, 4x4 loaded with a Grandby pop-up and a Toy Hauler for the real trips.
Also need to trailer a small boat, PWC and ATV's. 2K max payload.

You guy's are knowledgeable.

Thank you!
Jeff

Budget? v8 or inline 6?
I would say a older grand cherokee. Zj. They are 4linked, 2 different v8's...the 5.9L was the fastest SUV for some time as well. All of the motors, 4.0 (I6), 5.2L or 5.9L will tow what your after. The 5.9L is just a monster! I'm partial to anything inline6..I stray away from anything in a V formate..v6 v8..just personal preference though.
I personally would choose the Zj 93-98 over a Wj 99-04 because 99% of the Xj, Tj, Lj, Mj stuff will swap to a Zj no worries. Coils, control arms, track bars, axles! Its all there! The Wj axles are actually 3" wider so its not a plug & play swap! Both Wj & Zj's have low pinions..so upgrading to a XJ high pinion is a plus for the Zj's. Its a bolt in swap! Zj parts are alot easier & cheaper to come by vs the WJ's as well. As well as initial buying cost will be less.

They will do 31's on a budget boost..spacers basically. Or you can do a 3" lift..which can be cheap as well. Look into the front to rear swap. Front coils placed in rear, new coils up front! The 4 link is amazing offroad..I wish I got a Zj now instead of my current Xj but hey whatever. They are nice inside & out..Get a nice BIG trans cooler, keep fluids fresh & filters clean & the trans will be ok. Some tend to have issues but they should be fine with maitenance & care! Tcase wise you get a 242 or 249..the 249's have a viscous couple for 4wd..they wear & crap out..cost alot to replace..pretty worthless. However you can get a np242 or np231 from any XJ and swap it right on it! I would do the 242 if you drive in the snow. They use a open diff type setup for 4wd so no worries of costly repairs.

Heres a good thread to check out some Zj's.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/lifted-zj-pics-1089263/

Desert Rancher

Not on a budget. Not interested in something cheap. Want V8 power and do not need/want to mod. I have a good off-road 4x4 truck for that.

Just want something for the wife that will see mild use and last 5-7 years.

~DR

reece146

Automotive Artist
Low mileage 2003 - 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser. Bolt on metric 33s, be happy. It'll last 25 years.

88Xj

Banned
Low mileage 2003 - 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser. Bolt on metric 33s, be happy. It'll last 25 years.

My vote as well if you don't intend to mod it. Toyotas have a better overall feel inside. Dependable as all hell & it should have no issue pulling 2000lbs.

Mbogo

Observer
Not on a budget. Not interested in something cheap. Want V8 power and do not need/want to mod. I have a good off-road 4x4 truck for that.

Just want something for the wife that will see mild use and last 5-7 years.

~DR

Simple enough...let the wife choose. If Mama's happy, everyone's happy ;-)

Caoboy

Adventurer
^ mine will choose what looks prettiest to her...that's why the daily driver is a CRV.

I'd say look into any of the 4Runners/FJ's/Landcruisers if you are just looking for a comfortable fireroader..they can do a lot stock, and a lot more comfortably.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: You're in the JEEP section-

Get her a 2013 JK unlimited Rubicon-3500lb towing and capable of almost anything else-

The best "resale" value retention, of any of the jeeps-sans mods-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, I've got two toyotas and the jeep-

I wanted to try here first. Just looking for some general advice. Toy's will be looked at next!

Thank you!

I'll always standup for toyota quality-they're just about the best, but

For off-road extreme-I've gotta stay with jeep-

Good luck

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Right now I own a 96 ZJ with the Inline-6 and a 97 ZJ with the v8, the 96 is much smoother and reliable than the 97. And if 2k is all you need to ever tow that I6 will do it easily, I have borrowed a friend's flatbed that weighs that much empty and hauled a small car and other stuff with my 96. And then there was the trip to Maine and back where I flat towed our Miata behind the Jeep. If I were you I would seriously consider a ZJ or WJ with the I6 engine, more reliable and efficient than the v8, and the 4.7 v8 had more issues than any of the other engines.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
88XJ, that was an awesome post. I learned ALOT from it.

To Desert Rancher, if you aren't looking to go too cheap, consider a Land Rover LR3. Just drive one and see what you think. You can get one between 15-20k in good shape from between 😄2005-2007 or so. Unstoppable in snow. 7 airbags, nearly 15" of ground clearance stock (in Super Extended mode), worlds best traction control, phenomenal off road, amazing turning radius, incredible visibility from driver's perch, very nice interior. In comparison, Jeeps are like tractors. I love them both.

88Xj

Banned
:sombrero: Heh Heh, I've got two toyotas and the jeep-

I'll always standup for toyota quality-they're just about the best, but

For off-road extreme-I've gotta stay with jeep-

Good luck

I think this is the sum of it. Jeeps will go better offroad, Toy's do em in as a daily driver..just nicer inside! I'd say go yourself, drive a Zj & some Toy's & then decide!
I would also think on what BlackZj said. The jeep inline6's will go forever & are quite capable of towing!!! Just basic maitenance will keep them happy. I'm currently running mine, a 1988 with 343K its been hydro locked 2 times & purs like a kitten. 152-160psi on a compression test a few weeks ago! The 5.2L & 5.9L I've got no real first hand expeirence myself..a bud has a 5.2L and it goes pretty well but he does seem to be replacing/fixing it more than any of our Xj that have the inline6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad