Looking for some Jeep advice - the pro's/con's

marcall

Observer
Looking to get a Jeep Grand Cherokee or a similar type SUV.

My basic requirements:
4WD-will see some annual snow usage.
4 door
Decent power, nice interior package, all power
Ability to do "mild off-road" day trips - I have an F250 7.3, 4x4 loaded with a Grandby pop-up and a Toy Hauler for the real trips.
Also need to trailer a small boat, PWC and ATV's. 2K max payload.

You guy's are knowledgeable.

Thank you!
Jeff

WJ 4.7 ,I'm an inline 4.0 guy but you say you aren't on a budget and it's for towing so you get a stronger transmission and a Dana 44 rear end. Wj's are so much more cushy and comfy than the ZJ. With WJ or earlier you get a solid axle front so that right there puts it leaps and bounds ahead of any IFS rig. Power is going to be a lot more than any Toyota SUV. Reliability wise they are fine. I 'm an auto mechanic in an independent shop and have been since 1993. In my experience that quality gap has become a non factor over the last decade or so. All makes and models have problems just different ones.

Perhaps look at the 4.7 H.O. Overland edition. 10 way adjustable heated seats, etc. Since you mention snow driving the Overland has the Quadra Drive all wheel drive system. The part time is more desirable for hard off road use but the Quadra-drive would excel in the snow. Comes with a full tow package.

If IFS is not a problem then the newer 2005 and up WK's are even more loaded interior wise but the older seats are so cushy.

You can find everything you need to know here http://www.wjjeeps.com/jmenu.htm and from that link is a link to the WK version as well.

marcall

Observer
oh and BTW as far as con's i can't really think of any as I'm a diehard Jeep fanboi so take the above with that in mind :smiley_drive:

reece146

Automotive Artist
You aren't budget restricted... so...

To counter the Jeep fans, go drive a Toyota Land Cruiser and then go drive a Jeep of any vintage, WJ, JK, WK2, whatever.

If you can't see the difference in the quality between the vehicles after an extended test drive in either, well, buy the Jeep I guess.

Given how you've posed your question, a Toyota Land Cruiser UZJ100 (Lexus LX470 is the same vehicle) on 33s - 35s will go anywhere you really need to go, maybe even on the stock sized tires. Your wife doesn't want to daily drive a rock crawling buggy.

Don't mind me. I'm so "done" with crappy Jeeps that I'll tell anyone that'll listen to look at other stuff.

marcall

Observer
You aren't budget restricted... so...

To counter the Jeep fans, go drive a Toyota Land Cruiser and then go drive a Jeep of any vintage, WJ, JK, WK2, whatever.

If you can't see the difference in the quality between the vehicles after an extended test drive in either, well, buy the Jeep I guess.

Given how you've posed your question, a Toyota Land Cruiser UZJ100 (Lexus LX470 is the same vehicle) on 33s - 35s will go anywhere you really need to go, maybe even on the stock sized tires. Your wife doesn't want to daily drive a rock crawling buggy.

Don't mind me. I'm so "done" with crappy Jeeps that I'll tell anyone that'll listen to look at other stuff.

define "quality"

I'll say it again I've been working for an independent shop since '93 iI see all makes and models and I've been done for some time with the broad generalization thet vehicle A is superior to vehicle B in terms of reliability. Toyota used to be far and above more reliable but that's just not the case anymore. I'd even go as far as saying the current crop of American produced motors are more reliable than the Asian makes. As far as ride goes that is subjective. Are you looking for a stiffer 'sportier ride" or a more supple cushy ride. either can be modified to some extent.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh,. ain't that the truth-

define "quality"

I'll say it again I've been working for an independent shop since '93 iI see all makes and models and I've been done for some time with the broad generalization thet vehicle A is superior to vehicle B in terms of reliability. Toyota used to be far and above more reliable but that's just not the case anymore. I'd even go as far as saying the current crop of American produced motors are more reliable than the Asian makes. As far as ride goes that is subjective. Are you looking for a stiffer 'sportier ride" or a more supple cushy ride. either can be modified to some extent.

The auto industry provides different models to try and please the MAJORITY--

My JEEP has adjustable shocks and the stiffest stock coil springs, the ride can be taylored to suit, but

This JEEP is not for my wife and it's and off-road vehicle, so as marcall says--" the ride is subjective"-

If you want a vehicle--"YOU BUYIt, WITH HER SUBJECTIVE ADICE-

If she wants a vehicle--HAVE HER BUYIT, WITH YOUR SUBJECTIVE ADVICE-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

marcall

Observer
:sombrero: Heh Heh,. ain't that the truth-

The auto industry provides different models to try and please the MAJORITY--

My JEEP has adjustable shocks and the stiffest stock coil springs, the ride can be taylored to suit, but

This JEEP is not for my wife and it's and off-road vehicle, so as marcall says--" the ride is subjective"-

If you want a vehicle--"YOU BUYIt, WITH HER SUBJECTIVE ADICE-

If she wants a vehicle--HAVE HER BUYIT, WITH YOUR SUBJECTIVE ADVICE-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Well since lady's butts are softer than us guys (I'm speaking in generalities here much like the vehicle reliability thing) I'd think the Lady would prefer a Jeep ride to a stiff Toyota ride with stiff seats.

reece146

Automotive Artist
Reliability != Quality

Let's get that out of the way up front.

My Jeeps are reliable. My Jeeps are pieces of crap. Both statements are true.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
First I agree with others. Give your advice but let her pick.

When you say mild trips, what do you mean? I can't imagine that boat of a truck rock crawling much so what would be mild for this DD? Either way, I honestly would not even consider a Wrangler. It would be a Cherokee or Grand (probably a GC for what you want). I say no to the wrangler just because of the road/wind noise, lack of security, possible leaky tops, lower tow ratings, ride quality of the stock set up, ect that makes it suck as a DD. Before anyone wants to cast stones, I have owned a 2 dr and 4 dr JK and currently own an 06 LJ and will keep it till it dies and then rebuild it, lol. But I spent my money on a cheap daily driver just for the ride and security. I could care less about gas having an 8 mile round trip commute. The wrangler is just a toy vehicle, a large side by side with doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Thats too bad, the op wants advice on a 4x-

I've given my point of view on the jeep Wrangler and a lotta gals really likem, but

I won't get in a pissing contest about their qualitiy-or reliability, thats not what this thread is for-

If anybody thinks the jeep Wrangler has pros/cons--start another thread in the JEEP forum, unless this thread op says he'd like to hear itall-

--JIMBO

marcall

Observer
Reliability != Quality

Let's get that out of the way up front.

My Jeeps are reliable. My Jeeps are pieces of crap. Both statements are true.

so what about say "quality cheese or quality Ice cream" where does "reliability" come into play in that regard?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Just an FYI, the WJ with the 4.7 v8 has had more issues than any other modern Jeep engine. And Reece, I have owned my 96 for over 13 years and it has been very reliable, the only "issues" it has had were directly related to the abuse I put it through and were usually easy fixes. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country if needed.

88Xj

Banned
Just an FYI, the WJ with the 4.7 v8 has had more issues than any other modern Jeep engine. And Reece, I have owned my 96 for over 13 years and it has been very reliable, the only "issues" it has had were directly related to the abuse I put it through and were usually easy fixes. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country if needed.

4.7's are also a pain to find parts for. Every 4.7L Wj that hits our local junkyards, the motor/trans & xfer are pulled & sold before it gets put out. Expensive, hard to get parts for em & yes they tend to be more problematic. I love Wj's but because of that reason I'd rather get a I6 Zj. No point in a WJ I6 unless you just really want one...I'd rather have the parts variaty and upgradability between 3 different vehicles & still get the same 4link, auto trans & inline6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad