LR3 rock crawling carnage

jim115

I broke a pitman arm in half on the 88 side of that trail a few years back. No steering and my two friends had to hand steer my Jeep all the way out to Blue Lake from the rock climb right before the river crossing while I controlled the throttle. That was a long day. I miss that trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zelatore

Explorer
Just for snicks, here's a copy of the post I made to the NorCal Rover club site:

Deer Valley was a pretty tough run. Harder than what we had planned by far. None of us escaped without paying some form of toll.

Per the Charles Well's book CA Back Roads and 4wd Trails Deer Valley rates as difficult, between trails like Slick Rock and Signal Peak. Having run all three of them this year I would defiantly say Signal Peak was easier and this was easily a match for Slick Rick. The book describes it thus: Difficult. Serious rock obstacles. Not for stock suvs. High clearance and lockers recommended.

So of course we took a stock RRC up it.

And judging by how well Chad did in that loaded down RRC apparently we've all been doing it wrong as he killed it. Somebody tell me again why I don't have one of these?

A brief summary of the carnage. Because I know that's what you animals want to hear about. ;)

Nick, built RRC lwb.
Nick would have escaped without incident if he'd had his sliders installed. But since he hasn't quite gotten to that yet he got a front lower door creased by a rock on one of the several tight spots. Otherwise his only difficulty was where the lwb made squeezing through tight spots a challenge. And there were plenty of tight spots.

Chad, stock RRC swb.
I was really worried about Chad running the trail at first given that he is all stock plus had a full load of gear in addition to his wife and 2 kids. But he did great. We had to do a bit more stacking and carefully spotting but he got through surprisingly well. He did take a number of hits to the diffs and rockers but nothing that caused any damage. He also knocked off both rear light guards and a rear bumper end cap but those are basically pop on parts. He did lose his ABS module and maybe picked up a new PS leak as well. Then on literally the last rock coming off the trail we got tiered/lazy. It was a bit of a drop off for his driver's rear tire and he stopped before coming off it and asked if he would be OK. Both Graeme and I said 'oh yeah, no problem'. Heck, he had just cleared the gatekeeper and was within sight of the parking lot. But he came down a bit fast and the bounce dented the lower body behind the tire. Not a huge issue as it can be straightened pretty easily or it's also common to just trim that area off for exactly this reason anyway. Chad's my new hero, not the least reason of which is because he offered to set up camp and keep watch over my fully loaded truck when we had to leave it on the trail overnight.

Graeme, built D1.
Graeme's trusty old D1 handled the trail well until near the top when he took a pretty major bounce that popped a rear spring out of place. This wasn't too difficult to get re-seated, but then the truck would not restart. We tracked it down to the fuel pump not running thanks to a fuse that kept blowing. We ended up rigging a hot wire directly to the fuel pump but then found any time he would get a good bounce going on an uphill it would still blow the fuse and kill the ignition. This one will likely prove to be a pita to fully track down but the truck was fine so long as he was going downhill and didn't take any big bounces.

Don, built LR3
I was doing pretty well other than one tight spot that left a lot of wheel paint behind and the to-be-expected abuse of my armor. I did put a small bend in a slider, and on the way out on the 2nd day I got sloppy and dropped that big 'ol butt down hard on the bumper which I later realized cracked a tail light housing. You can't see it, but the outer bezel is separating from the inner housing a little and the turn signal quit (which is how I realized it was cracked in the first place)

My real fun came as we were about half way down on our way back. It was nearing dark and I was leading when I heard a new and bad metal scraping noise on a tight rocky spot. I got on the radio and asked somebody to have a look at my front passenger side fender, thinking I must have accidentally laid it into a rock but they reported it as clear. However a quick look underneath showed the problem. The bottom of the air strut had snapped off and was poking through the lower A arm by about 5". The bad noise was the strut body scraping as it pushed through. This had the special bonus of putting the truck all the way down on the tire since the bump stop is integral to the strut and therefor wasn't doing anything in this situation. We limped it down about 20' with the tire rubbing hard in the top of the wheel well to a wider flattish spot where we could get the wheel off to better assess the damage and realized there was no way to continue like that. If we'd had a welder we could have tried a field repair but lacking that, much head scratching eventually led to a very jury rigged combination of shackles and a ratchet strap that after a couple of attempts got me mobile enough to tip-toe down another 100' or so to a wide spot where I could get it off the trail. It was probably around 10 pm by now, and Chad agreed to set up camp there while Nick and Graeme and I headed down the trail and back to Nick's cabin about 30 min away where I would call Michele back home and try to talk her into bringing me a spare strut I had in the garage. Running the trail down in the dark was both fun and challenging but we made it out, aired up, and started back to the cabin. Along the way I got enough cell coverage to call Michele. As it was now nearly midnight I woke her up and explained what was going on. She then explained that she wasn't particularly interested in driving 2 hours to bring me the part. Apparently she was clear enough about this that Graeme could hear as well and in the interest of marital harmony he volunteered to just drive all the way to my place in in Walnut Grove. We made good time since the roads were largely empty that time of night and got to my place about 2am, had a few hours' sleep, then headed back up to retrieve the LR3 about 5:45 Sunday morning. With the part in hand we made quick work of swapping it out and got back on the trail headed home.

Having had enough adventure for the weekend plus wanting to get home to take care of some work and give the other front strut a look over, I headed home from the trail. Graeme too headed home as he had a longer drive than the rest of us. Nick and Chad met up with the others who were coming up for a day run, though I haven't yet heard that part of the story.

morrisdl

Adventurer
Thanks for sharing the story and pics. That even looks steep in the photos, so it must be REALLY steep in reality. great job on the field repair!

Dmarchand

Adventurer
Interested if there is a difference between the struts across models. My LR4 which is heavy, is very under dampened as well. Drives me crazy on crappy roads.

perkj

Explorer
Don,

I know over on the Proud Rhino! The SYA Off Road Extension Kit thread that you had purchased one of these kits. I'm curious, did you have it installed when this strut end snapped? If so, I'm wondering if somehow the extension kit put added stress in some way on the strut.

Also did you check the other strut ends for hair line cracks?

perkj

Explorer
ah wheels spacers where involved here? I see them now in the pictures....good eye catching that. those definitely will add to greater stress on the suspension components.

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
Don,

I know over on the Proud Rhino! The SYA Off Road Extension Kit thread that you had purchased one of these kits. I'm curious, did you have it installed when this strut end snapped? If so, I'm wondering if somehow the extension kit put added stress in some way on the strut.

Also did you check the other strut ends for hair line cracks?

I think the extension kit would have an impact on this. The design of the strut uses the flexible rubber portion at the top to account for movement. If that position is moved down the strut will see more angular changes during up and down movement of the wheel. Perhaps the limits of the flexing was reached and a bending moment was put into the strut causing the fatigue failure in the weld.Was the left front wheel off the ground much during the run? This would put additional load into the strut. The Arnott strut looks like it moves that flex point down even further. If you look at the shape of the tear out it appears to have failed in the direction that might indicate that this happening.

I do not think the spacers had an effect here. That spacer looks to be about 12mm (.50 inch). The addition of spacers should not increase the load in the strut. The strut will see the same amount of weight/load distribution as before. The spacers do increase the load in the upper a-arm, bearings, spindle and the steering rack though. Looking at the pictures the weld area looks smaller than the OEM strut. I think this strut was just a bad unit with a possible inferior design and the OEM struts are the ones to use. If you look at Arnott's website now, there front strut looks suspiciously like the OEM meaning that they do not make this one anymore.

That was an amazing trail fix on the strut by the way, you should be proud of that one.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I do not think the spacers had an effect here. That spacer looks to be about 12mm (.50 inch). The addition of spacers should not increase the load in the strut. The strut will see the same amount of weight/load distribution as before. The spacers do increase the load in the upper a-arm, bearings, spindle and the steering rack though.

At least 20mm if you compare to wheel stud diameter and brake rotor thickness.

no-pistons

Adventurer

Maybe he meant something like this?
547c2ebed4792752129a2883db72bec4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jwestpro

Explorer
Maybe he meant something like this?

Those are nice but seem basically irrelevant on an LR3/4 due to it's suspension and chassis design without going full custom with new upper and lower control arms as well as many other parts.

As soon as you rip out the EAS on an lr3, there's almost no point in using the platform without a redo of the entire suspension. Might as well start with a proper 4x4 chassis.

It would be cool but I just don't ever seeing there being a "kit".

There are reasons why you see the Toyota Land Cruiser and the Lexus LX 570 in the Baja races, customized for long suspension travel, but no LR3/4. I don't think the rest of the components are up to the task.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven