LR3 rock crawling carnage

zelatore

Explorer
I finally got around to installing my new replacement Arnott strut and I think I know why they took so long to get them in stock - the new one is totally different than the first one. Of particular note, the lower mounting eye is much beefier, and the strut is flat on the top instead of having a large center nut sticking up which will make wrestling the airline and inner-most mounting nut easier.

zelatore

Explorer
The bottom picture is a close-up of both the old and new lower eyes. The old one is on the bottom and yes, the weld on the new one is much better. Given the origin of this thread, when I snapped that part off on a less than year old Arnott, I wonder how many others have experienced the same thing and may have influenced the re-design.

I have an original '07 front strut as well and they are obviously different when side by side. The new Arnott is stamped as being engineered and assembled in the US, and the bag at least appears to be by Continental. While the old strut used a Bilstien shock, I didn't see any markings on the new one.

zelatore

Explorer

Although I didn't take any good pics, one major difference between the OEM and the Arnott is at the top. The Arnott is flat other than the 3 mounting studs and the air fitting which also stands proud. In the above pic of the OEM, you can see the large center nut - that really gets in the way when you're trying to secure the air line and the inner-most of the 3 mounting nuts. While I doubt they designed it with that in mind specifically, it certainly is appreciated.

zelatore

Explorer
The poly bushes certainly contributed to the failure of the upper arm. Much stiffer bushing = less shock absorbtion = more fatigue in the metal instead of in the bush. Especially on washboard road.

So, reviving an old thread.

Just completed what I think is the first crossing of the Rubicon with the LR3 (I know others have done parts but not gone all the way through that I'm aware of).

Along the way, I broke the OTHER rear upper control arm in EXACTLY THE SAME WAY as the one I brought up here earlier. Initially I considered it a fluke, but now I'm going to have to say the Poly bushings may indeed be the root cause.

I've got a used part installed for the time being but tomorrow I'll be calling around to see if I can find a local dealer with a new one in stock. I think I'll be looking for RRS parts if I can find them - it seems from comments above that they should interchange and be firmer w/o the possible poly bush issues.

zelatore

Explorer
I'll do a separate thread when I get the chance; maybe not until this weekend. Right now I've got to deal with all the work related issues that exploded while I was out of cell range for a few days.

Here are my pics - mostly shots of the other guys in D2s of course since I was driving my own rig instead of taking pics of it! Hopefully they'll upload their pics in the next few days. Hopefully their also better with a camera than I am.

https://goo.gl/photos/jWHxnecygy65o4ZV8

perkj

Explorer
I'll do a separate thread when I get the chance; maybe not until this weekend. Right now I've got to deal with all the work related issues that exploded while I was out of cell range for a few days.

Here are my pics - mostly shots of the other guys in D2s of course since I was driving my own rig instead of taking pics of it! Hopefully they'll upload their pics in the next few days. Hopefully their also better with a camera than I am.

https://goo.gl/photos/jWHxnecygy65o4ZV8

How bad did the body panels on the LR3 get beat up? Or were you successful in avoiding body damage?

zelatore

Explorer
Zero body damage! It was incredibly tight in places but was able to squeak through with the help of the nerfs on the sliders and bumper. Though both D2s took some light hits just below the taillights.

I did find a cracked driver's taillight today when washing the truck. And I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to put my skid plates back on the next time I remove them as they're pretty hammered.

That's the thing - if it takes a 7000lb+ truck landing on them to bend them in the first place, it's not like I can just take a hammer and beat them back flat.

perkj

Explorer
Zero body damage! It was incredibly tight in places but was able to squeak through with the help of the nerfs on the sliders and bumper. Though both D2s took some light hits just below the taillights.

I did find a cracked driver's taillight today when washing the truck. And I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to put my skid plates back on the next time I remove them as they're pretty hammered.

That's the thing - if it takes a 7000lb+ truck landing on them to bend them in the first place, it's not like I can just take a hammer and beat them back flat.

Impressive that you were able to avoid panel damage on a rig as large as the LR3! Pat yourself on the back for some good driving skills :)

A.J.M

Explorer
If you got such a fat tank of a car round that trail without body damage.

You Sir, deserve a few pints bought.

Just leave the stuff on if they are that bent. That's how I deal with things.

zelatore

Explorer
Impressive that you were able to avoid panel damage on a rig as large as the LR3! Pat yourself on the back for some good driving skills :)

Good spotting by my buddies is probably more to account than my driving skill. Both of the guys I was running with have multiple Rubicon runs under their belts.

It was also interesting to notice how the D2s moved/bounced around on their suspension (both on 3" lifts and 33s I believe) much more than the LR3 on 2.5" johnson rods. They were less stable on the side slopes and had to take more care not to sway into a rock when in a tight spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven