Lucinda Build

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Any wandering is probably just you getting used to driving a big 4x4 vs. a car (or other stock vehicle), as long as the front end is tight that is. The tires will try to follow the grooves in the road, and when your track width has been increased (offset wheels) and riding on big wide tires, it's riding on the "ridges" of the grooves. You'll get used to how it handles and it won't bother you. Shake the front end down and look for loose tie rod ends or ball joints just to make sure though...

I remember getting my exploder on the road for the first time, after driving only hot rod trucks and cars my whole life. It felt like I was driving a moon rover! lol After I drove it for a little bit, I got comfortable with it and could cruise it 85mph down the interstate with one hand.

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
I wish I was a newbie at driving a rig with big tires and that was actually giving me the "wandering". I have only had one car and the rest trucks or SUV's, and every single one of those has been lifted and had big tires. I have "wasted" a ton of money on tires for sure, but I guess that's something I've always been in to. I have been checking the steering parts and the more I adjust the steering box, the better it is getting, which wasn't that bad and got alot better with the steering stabilizers. And yes, sitting in front of the front tire is definitely funky, but you get used to it, like driving a VW bus. It is addictingly fun to drive.
20160528_093144_resized.jpg
My current daily driver, 99 4runner Highlander Edition, 3" lift, 285 75 16's, E- locker, custom armor, 88' Coleman pop up with 2" lift
IMAG0606_resized.jpg
My old 82 Hilux, ARB locker front, Toyota E- locker rear, 5:29's, 35" x 12.50" Mickey T's, EFI 22rE, Dual t-cases with twin sticks, HY-steer, tons of custom fab, winch, etc.,etc.,. Sure do miss that truck, had to sell due to new edition to the family 4 years ago.

Lunchbox2

Explorer
I wish I was a newbie at driving a rig with big tires and that was actually giving me the "wandering". I have only had one car and the rest trucks or SUV's, and every single one of those has been lifted and had big tires. I have "wasted" a ton of money on tires for sure, but I guess that's something I've always been in to. I have been checking the steering parts and the more I adjust the steering box, the better it is getting, which wasn't that bad and got alot better with the steering stabilizers. And yes, sitting in front of the front tire is definitely funky, but you get used to it, like driving a VW bus. It is addictingly fun to drive.
View attachment 348332
My current daily driver, 99 4runner Highlander Edition, 3" lift, 285 75 16's, E- locker, custom armor, 88' Coleman pop up with 2" lift
View attachment 348334
My old 82 Hilux, ARB locker front, Toyota E- locker rear, 5:29's, 35" x 12.50" Mickey T's, EFI 22rE, Dual t-cases with twin sticks, HY-steer, tons of custom fab, winch, etc.,etc.,. Sure do miss that truck, had to sell due to new edition to the family 4 years ago.

I guess it's silly to think that you live in Colorado and haven't owned at least ONE off-road rig....lol I'm also drooling over the Hilux, I love the old yotas... Once you get that box dialed in, and are sure all front end parts are tight, go put it on an alignment rack and see where everything's at. It might be something silly like a simple caster or toe adjustment

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
20160606_185927_resized.jpg20160606_185937_resized.jpg20160606_185948_resized.jpg
Made the brackets to attach the awning to my rack and got them tacked on. The weather was really windy and about to get all crazy, so I didn't set the awning up. Seems like a quality product for the price so far. I also put the light bar on while I was at it, and I think it looks super cool, too. Now I just need to make the rear basket and maybe a small one for up front, then finish weld and decide whether I will paint the rack or have it powder coated.

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
20160529_152516_resized.jpg20160529_152533_resized.jpg
I installed 1 layer of Reflectix everywhere I could in the van, but I have enough to do another layer and plenty more. Once I fill some holes in the roof where the old rack and some snaps were, I'll do the ceiling as well. But that's going to be a couple of projects in one when I get to that, because I want to paint the roof white, and I figure I'll paint the rack while it's off, and paint the roof after I fill the holes, because I'll have to paint where I welded and grind down the welds, then put the Reflectix up.
Costco had some interlocking rubber mat for $13 for 32 sq ft, so I 4 packs and started covering the floor with it. After adding both of these types of insulation, she is much more pleasant to drive. It no longer sounds like your'e in a metal can full of metal cans driving down the road.
I think I want to glue the rubber mat to some thin plywood, and cover with carpet to finish of the floor, that's the plan so far.

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
20160618_173435_resized (1).jpg
Finally got to get her on some dirt for father's day weekend. Just took her out for some light wheeling on BLM trails right by my house with the family.20160618_173716_resized (1).jpg
I towed my pop up to this really sweet camping spot 4 miles from my house, which is also the where one mountain bike trail comes up and is the trailhead for 2 downhill mountain bike trails. After securing my campsite, I rode down to my house, which is at the bottom of one of the trails, and loaded up the van with gear, family, dog, and etc., and headed back up for some camping with friends for Father's day. The van did awesome except for the pop top being a little squeaky, and running a little hot, but I still haven't gotten the shroud on the radiator done yet, so I expected that because it was 92* out and the wind wind was blowing from behind the van while climbing( worst case scenario). My little sweetie and my junk in the pic.
20160618_204253_resized (1).jpg
Strawberry moon rising over the New York Mountain range, Eagle, CO

Last edited:

chiliVANilli

Adventurer
20160620_192718_resized.jpg20160620_192656_resized.jpg20160620_192749_resized.jpg20160620_193348_resized.jpg
Had a little bit of time to work on the rack and got most of the rear basket tacked in. Just have to add a couple more pieces to the cross bars. I decided the front basket would be too small, so I'm just going to build cross bars. Then I can pull it off and finish weld it, and get some paint on it.

Lunchbox2

Explorer
What size tubing did you use for your roof rack? I've got a 7/8" and a 1" die at my disposal (JD2 bender), so I'm hoping one of those two will work....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven