Lucky8’s Project Discovery 3

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Oh yes, I'll be keeping an eye on this! Most everything on your list is on mine as well.

Aluminum bumpers and sliders.....if you can make 'em strong and make 'em affordable, that would be pretty tough to turn away from!

I am pushing on a few companies do get this done.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Is there any chance of an "off" button for the terrain response and manual override for the lockers? I don't have extensive off road experience with the newer rovers, but I've had the terrain response both surprise me with how well it works and disappoint moments later. Having a manual mode would keep a smile going the whole time.

I hear you! And I have been chasing the same things.

STEVE!!!!!!! from GAP are you out there???????

Ray_G

Explorer
Heard anyone discussed/heard of an airbag replacement that was an adjustable coil over? Provide a manual way to go from a standard stance to the raised offroad?

I could be way off there of course...

Last edited:

spikemd

Explorer
Heard anyone discussed/heard of an airbag replacement that was an adjustable coil over? Provide a manual way to go from a standard stance to the raised offroad?

AtlanticBritish has a coil over spring conversion, but it is not adjustable. Johnson Rods give you a manual quick 2 inches of lift by tricking the computer and still allows functionality of the EAS airsprings.

We'll see what Justin has in store for the LR3...His talks with Terrafirma have produced some great new products.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor

I could be way off there of course...

This could work in theory but you will lose the solid axle feature of the air system. That is the main reason I am sticking with the air system let alone the integrated terrain response functions.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
AtlanticBritish has a coil over spring conversion, but it is not adjustable.

I'm very leery about that conversion. No disrespect meant for AB but do you think they went out of their way to make sure that all the off Road functions were operating at there best? Or did they make it work knowing that 99% of these kids would go to the daily driver mall crowd?

Ray_G

Explorer
I'm very leery about that conversion. No disrespect meant for AB but do you think they went out of their way to make sure that all the off Road functions were operating at there best? Or did they make it work knowing that 99% of these kids would go to the daily driver mall crowd?

This thread lays it out pretty well I think: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/120976-LR3-Air-to-Coil-conversion-one-year-later

If/when I ever go down the path this gives some more (which is to say a lot more) info on how it has worked out for at least one person who doesn't seem to be mall crawling with it.
r-
Ray

roverandom

Adventurer
As per my thread, I have the AB coils on my 06 and there are for sure some drawbacks but the off road performance of the terrain response and EAS 'solid axle' feature aren't on that list.

However because AB is a L8 competitor I don't really expect we'll see them wanting to fit that particular kit. But a true coilover option rather than Macpherson strut type of the AB kit would be interesting to see. The hardware modification is pretty straight forward but ultimately the main difficulty is getting the TR system to play ball without EAS on the team.

Love what L8 has been able to accomplish with their P38 project, looking forward to more of the same here.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
However because AB is a L8 competitor

That has nothing to do with my comment, nor do I think we are competitors to AB on any real level. You maybe surprised at how small the Rover world is between vendors.

for sure some drawbacks but the off road performance of the terrain response and EAS 'solid axle' feature aren't on that list.

Can you please explain how you have come to that conclusion?

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Justin we've got some things to talk about at Romp, glad you're taking on the next gen and I'm looking forward to see what you do with this build.

roverandom

Adventurer
Ok, so your not competitors?

I came to my conclusion about the coil spring retrofit by driving the standard EAS system for years on/off road, then replacing it with the AB OME coils and driving my LR3 lots more with it fitted. Lots of on road and with plenty off road miles on both systems.

I don't want to mess with your thread so for more detailed info on my impressions of the AB kit you can take a look at my thread.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/120976-LR3-Air-to-Coil-conversion-one-year-later

But in short, it works just like it says on the tin.

Last edited:

Howski

roverandom you're incorrect concerning the solid axle feature. This is only possible with the computer controlling the air bags. The computer inflates/deflates the bags in unison to act as a solid axle, therefore keeping as many tires on the ground as possible. The trucks computer obviously cannot do this with coils. Perhaps the terrain you've encountered hasn't allowed you to see the drawbacks of not having this. In cross-axled situations the advantage of this feature would be apparent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online