Lucky8’s Project Discovery 3

Coils vs. EAS

Roverandom

Respectfully, the religious zeal you have for coils is not really shared by a lot of us who are extremely happy with EAS. This comes up with you a lot in these threads. Nathan Woods has driven a coiler extensively before, and others have said too, the ride quality and versatility suffer with coils.

Speaking up for EAS to offset the clamor for coilers

Paul

(And back to a much awaited and well received LR3 build)

Mack73

Adventurer
Roverandom

Respectfully, the religious zeal you have for coils is not really shared by a lot of us who are extremely happy with EAS. This comes up with you a lot in these threads. Nathan Woods has driven a coiler extensively before, and others have said too, the ride quality and versatility suffer with coils.

Speaking up for EAS to offset the clamor for coilers

Paul

(And back to a much awaited and well received LR3 build)

I agree, I don't think there is any way IFS with coils will allow as much articulation as this:
IMG_6304_zps7e4cbcce.jpg

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I find it hilarious that fsu disco and guy below him can't handle an objective opinion from an owner. Hahhahaa!

Mack73

Adventurer
I hate to burst your bubble Mack but any SUV could do that.

Haha welcome to the LR forum....

You are missing the point of that photo - but that's ok.

The general consensus is, the LR3 with coils does not have the same articulation as the EAS airbags.

A.J.M

Explorer
In the Uk, we have a coil model as standard. It is called the Base seat 5. It has a 6 speed manual, high and low range but no terrain response.

Many of the coil owners have had to fit lift kits to use them off road properly. There is a thread on Disco3.co.uk about a guy asking what kit's are good.
Purely because he drove a mild off road trail and the bottom was catching on the ground, while those with "Air" didn't.
I have driven the trail myself and it's actually a very easy one. My group did it in the dark as well..
He is talking about going for either a 30mm or 50mm lift.
But also regrets not getting a model with "Air" in the first place.
I have also found a thread started by Nwoods, who had one of the 25 coil models in the US. He was asking back in 2006 for a lift kit.
He said that the articulation difference was 13 inches for air, and 7-8 inches for coil in standard spec.

Personally, i don't see a need to revert back. The only benefit is being able to run above 30mph in off road height without the warning bong going off.
If you need more space, stick the rods in or buy and plug in a IID tool to lift the car up, then lower it back down when you have finished off roading.

I would be more concerned about protecting the underside with plates etc.

A mate had his D3 bottom out on some rocks, which damaged the TC, which landed him a £1000 bill to buy a new one. He fitted it himself on the drive.
We are now designing our own sliders and plates because of that.

You do have more companies offering protection in the US, in the UK, we have the Devon D44 range, which is £1344 to buy all the plates but comes with "Britpart" Sliders, which are rubbish. Or the Prospeed plates and sliders, but they are over £2000 for the lot.
Which is big money to ask for plates. So will be seeing how your's look in relation to the ones i'm drawing up. I've looked the the Prospeed, the D44 range, Rasta, Tactile rover's and a few others and have made up a design from looking at the strengths and weaknesses of theirs.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
roverandom you're incorrect concerning the solid axle feature. This is only possible with the computer controlling the air bags. The computer inflates/deflates the bags in unison to act as a solid axle, therefore keeping as many tires on the ground as possible. The trucks computer obviously cannot do this with coils. Perhaps the terrain you've encountered hasn't allowed you to see the drawbacks of not having this. In cross-axled situations the advantage of this feature would be apparent

Well said thank you.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Ok, so your not competitors?

I came to my conclusion about the coil spring retrofit by driving the standard EAS system for years on/off road, then replacing it with the AB OME coils and driving my LR3 lots more with it fitted. Lots of on road and with plenty off road miles on both systems.

I don't want to mess with your thread so for more detailed info on my impressions of the AB kit you can take a look at my thread.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/120976-LR3-Air-to-Coil-conversion-one-year-later

But in short, it works just like it says on the tin.

Thank you for the explanation and Im glad it is working for you.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
I have an area on my property that I have made into an off road course. It has steep hills, ditches, cross axle traps and logs. You can make most obsticles in the dry with a well chosen line with a stock LR3, but it gives the suspension and traction control a really good work out. Other lines are more difficult and are designed to stop/test my RRC off roader with lockers and 33" MT tyres. Certain obsticles were designed specifically to trap an LR3, and they work. My LR3 can't make the RRC lines. Never has with EAS and still can't with coils.
I tested the air and the coil springs as close to back to back as possible and found that (other than the ride was less jarring on coil springs) traction, control and progress were all very similar between the two.

In the interest of science, do you happen to have any pictures of the 2 suspensions on your off road course.

roverandom

Adventurer
I really don't want to get into this on L8's thread. I have my own tread for comments on coils. But I'm going to respond to the coil detractors once (and only once) so misconceptions about my particular EAS-Coil swap can be veiwed in context.

This is to all the experts on the Atlantic British OME EAS-Coil swap on my 06 LR3.

I do find it quite amusing to be critiqued for my choice of using coils by folks that have not tried it and folks that either not read or have not understood my other threads. Please remember. I have used both systems. I know the difference. More importantly, I understand the difference. Im a Journyman mechanic.

Just because you have "read" about it on the interweb or have a mate's girlfriend's dog once knew a guy that owned a tractor. Please don't act like you know all there is to know.

I have the 2"lift and a terrain response. UK and limited import US etc base model coilers had standard road height only and no TR so they are not the same as mine. I originally had EAS.

If you had bothered to read links to my other threads before spouting off about how much better EAS is you would have seen I had identified that the rear travel is a little less than the EAS, even with my NON STANDARD +2" OME springs. Suspension travel on ANY LR3 is pretty lame when compared to earlier coil models so indeed this is a issue that could be improved.

Honestly though, I haven't noticed much difference having slightly less travel when off road. Serious ground soon finds the limits of both suspension systems. Nobody will be takling KOH with either. In most situations off road I have found the stock LR3's colossal weight and ****ty tyre choice to be the two biggest limiting factors. EAS best feature is to allow dual purpose of a on road car and an off road car. If you lift it permanently with rods etc to fit big tyres then you have compromised it's most important function. Cross linked airbags are small potatoes. Yes, I realize by removing the EAS I've done the same thing.

I know how the cross linked suspension works, thankyou. I said it does not happen fast enough thus limiting speed to a crawl. It is a similar argument as the age old debate over dislocation cones and standard springs with an open diff. No correct answer for all situations.

I'm not religious and have no desire to persuade anyone to remove their EAS. I swapped mine for my own reasons and I shared my findings. I like to think my threads are unbiased. But I don't expect anyone to copy me. Just wanted contribute to available information and perhaps shed some light on a few preconceptions based on firsthand experience.

My question to L8 was in regards to a true coil over suspension that could potentially yeild MORE travel than either system.

To L8, If coil swaps are not in the L8 build plan that is cool with me. Just asking. Lets end the coil/EAS debate end here so as to not turn your thread into a 100 page monster with us all arguing.

To anyone else that wants to talk coils? Post on my other thread or start a new one please.

Last edited:

roverandom

Adventurer
In the interest of science, do you happen to have any pictures of the 2 suspensions on your off road course.
No, but I can take some in the spring after the snow melts. You'd need a snowmobile to do it right now. Unfortunately, I don't have any of my 3 before the swap. Perhaps I can find a club member with a EAS equipped 3 and we could run the track at the same time?

That sounds like fun!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman