Lucky8’s Project Discovery 3

zelatore

Explorer
Can we return to the topic at hand please?

Yes please. It's been over 24 hours and no new info on these aluminum sliders/skids/bumpers/etc.

Entirely too long! I need a regular fix or my attention (and wallet) waivers. I've got 2 wheeled toys and floating toys that are all trying to compete with the Rover. Must. Stay. Focused.
Squirrel!

jerdog53

Explorer
Yes please. It's been over 24 hours and no new info on these aluminum sliders/skids/bumpers/etc.

Entirely too long! I need a regular fix or my attention (and wallet) waivers. I've got 2 wheeled toys and floating toys that are all trying to compete with the Rover. Must. Stay. Focused.
Squirrel!

Gawd no kidding, you shound like me but I have no floteing toys mine all sink like rocks....*pout*

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
My question to L8 was in regards to a true coil over suspension that could potentially yeild MORE travel than either system.

To L8, If coil swaps are not in the L8 build plan that is cool with me. Just asking. Lets end the coil/EAS debate end here so as to not turn your thread into a 100 page monster with us all arguing.

The coil over idea is not a bad one. But I think it will be cost prohibitive. Let's say for the sake of argument.

A cheep coil over is around $400 each $1200
Then some sort of adapter brackets to make it work. $450. "Using the RTE D1 shock conversion kit for a price guess"

And then we still need a computer override harness. Lets go with $500.

That brings us to $2150.

And all of those prices are probably way too low.

The next issue I see with the coil over system is the CV joint angles. With more flex your going to have harsher angles plus you run the risk of pulling the shaft right out of the CV.

To do it right I think we are lacking a few pieces in the coil over puzzle. First would be extended upper and lower control arms to accommodate the increased lift / articulation. For the new arms to work properly we would more than likely need increased length CV halfshafts.

The reason I went through all this is so you know we did not just pooh-pooh the idea of switching over to springs/ coil overs. The way we looked at it was these trucks are getting close to 9 years old and most of the air systems are working flawlessly. Combine that with the very effective terrain response system it is hard to justify abandoning the air system

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
No, but I can take some in the spring after the snow melts. You'd need a snowmobile to do it right now. Unfortunately, I don't have any of my 3 before the swap. Perhaps I can find a club member with a EAS equipped 3 and we could run the track at the same time?

That sounds like fun!

That would be fantastic

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Can we return to the topic at hand please?

Squirrel!

Gawd no kidding, you shound like me but I have no floteing toys mine all sink like rocks....*pout*

I'm working on the next update,but here is a quick pic to get you guys by.

Attachments

• photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 139

zelatore

Explorer
I'm wishing the info on the 17" wheels/tires was about a week ago.

Then again, my 18s STILL haven't arrived and I've got a trip planned in less than 2 weeks...:Wow1:

Mack73

Adventurer
Sweet steelies. It will be interesting to see if they can hold up to the weight off road.

Regarding articulation - if you want more, you will absolutely need longer top/bottom control arms and CV halfshafts. We have established that when the bump stop degrades in a strut or if it becomes bent the upper control arm contacts the airbag and can rupture it.

roverandom

Adventurer
Thanks for looking into the coil overs. Those were my thoughts in regarding modification as well. I had a Ford Raptor in the shop the other week and control arms and front axle shafts + CV's were all much longer than a regular F150. I was hoping the costs would be lower, but your probably low if anything.

I like the look of those wheels. Will they be available in black or dark grey?

Any more thoughts on a body lift? I know you said the bumpers would not match but everything except the inner bumper brace is attached to the body. And the brace is only bolted on so could be moved? Given how difficult it is to find room for larger tyres, and this issue of what to do in an emergency if the EAS system should fail when you have larger tyres fitted, this could be a possible solution to both problems?

brickpaul65

Adventurer
So...sorry if I am missing something...but are those 17" wheels installed without needing brake modifications? If so you just sold at least 5 :)

Viggen

Just here...
That is the goal. I think the P38 is more then ready for it this year, maybe the LR3 will be in line for 2015

That is impressive. Some seriously nasty stuff.

It is still a goal of mine to make it to one. Just need to find the right RRC to start with.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
I like the look of those wheels. Will they be available in black or dark grey?

Yes black. I was playing with the sliver look on the green truck. I think I'm going to do a dark gray.

Any more thoughts on a body lift?

No. There is a ton of things that need to come off when you pull the body on an lr3. We have done this in the shop and I don't think it is a DIY job for some one looking to put a body lift on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman

Members online