Lucky8’s Project Discovery 3

Eniam17

Adventurer
So Justin ; how did the rear window break? Also how was the 3 relative to other rovers in that slick mud and on that hill, sounds like tough conditions for everyone.

jhawk

Adventurer
IMG_0739.JPG

Jim
this will solve one problem but start another. There is no coil kit out there that is equal in height to an airbag suspension rod modification.

I'm running 265/70/18 with the AB 2in conversion, wheel spacers and a bit of trimming in front of the front tires. I have had the conversion done for 6 months or so, and there has not been one instance in which I missed the air suspension.

Jim

Last edited:

onemanarmy

Explorer
I can't believe that Land Rover still use air suspension. So much more complex to build/design...which adds cost and things to break, which is expensive, which in turn adds to the already perceived low dependability of Land Rovers. 99% of Land Rovers will never see even a dirt road, so why would they not offer a version that doesn't have all these 'terrain settings' and nanny contols for situations that will never be encountered?

4wd, a locker, good tires, and a level headed driver has been working for 80 years.

Seems silly not to switch to coils on day one. It obviously can be done.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
What you're saying makes no sense. Have you ever owned one of these things or even seen one on the trail first hand?

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
View attachment 255242

I'm running 265/70/18 with the AB 2in conversion, wheel spacers and a bit of trimming in front of the front tires. I have had the conversion done for 6 months or so, and there has not been one instance in which I missed the air suspension.

Jim
Jim that is a good looking truck.

What you have lost in the converion is the cross link support from the air suspention and the shocks have less travel then the air truck. I really don't know how the train response is working because that is also programmed into the air system.

I would like to see what that truck sits like with 400b of gear in the back and roof rack bumpers sliders etc,, I think you know what I'm talking about. We had a truck that was on a coil kit and it need to be switched back to air because the springs could not handle the extra weight.

Everything is a compromise.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
I can't believe that Land Rover still use air suspension. So much more complex to build/design...which adds cost and things to break, which is expensive, which in turn adds to the already perceived low dependability of Land Rovers. 99% of Land Rovers will never see even a dirt road, so why would they not offer a version that doesn't have all these 'terrain settings' and nanny contols for situations that will never be encountered?

4wd, a locker, good tires, and a level headed driver has been working for 80 years.

Thank you for that,,,

Eniam17

Adventurer

I was going to respond to this and then saw the vehicles in your signature And realized it wasn't worth wasting my time.

onemanarmy

Explorer
What I said was incorrect?

How do you know I don't have a Land Rover or am in the market for one? (currently am)

Not just related to LR, but in my quest to buy and keep old vehicles, its quickly coming to the point where vehicles are not going to last due to the overly complex, totally unecessary electronic 'aides' along with the crazy intertwined electronics that are in the interior of the vehicle.

Seems like a waste of time to fight so hard against these systems that don't help in real off road situations, add cost and complexity, and can be worked around......just to do it. Which is what this thread has showcased.

you guys are Land Rover fanboys....so why does LR feel that adding systems that can't handle abuse or stand the test of time is a good thing?

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
you guys are Land Rover fanboys....so why does LR feel that adding systems that can't handle abuse or stand the test of time is a good thing?

Please tell me what is not standing the test of time? This project truck is a 100k mile truck. Read through the full thread and let me know what part failed me that is not a normal maintenance part ?

LR Max

Local Oaf

Wat. You crazy.

I was in the same old-man grouchy boat. Then I rode in a V8 LR3 and then I thought differently. Then I saw one walk up Daniel using about .0000005% of the effort it took to get my 109 with bigger tires, more armor, and more John Wayne to do the same.

Then I thought, huh. Maybe there is something to this "new car" business. Overall, they are all that and a bag of potato chips. Really awesome trucks. When you push them, you get sensor faults but that is like saying when you push a TJ, you blow axle shafts, kill unit bearings, suspension links, and sometimes the driveshaft falls out of the back of the transfer case (unless you got an SYE). It happens and be prepared to deal with it.

As for expense, unless you take it to the dealership (which is true even if you own a Honda Fit), they really aren't all that much more expensive than any other luxury SUV out there. Probably less. Definitely less than having out of warranty work done on a 1 ton diesel. The new air suspensions are pretty stout. Sure after 10 years and 100k they will need replacing. You can say that for just about any suspension really.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Some people have a different tolerance level for complex design than others. No reason to crap on Land Rover... just don't buy one. Pretty simple really.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
I was in the same old-man grouchy boat. Then I rode in a V8 LR3 and then I thought differently. Then I saw one walk up Daniel using about .0000005% of the effort it took to get my 109 with bigger tires, more armor, and more John Wayne to do the same.

Thats how i started this thread. I was on the D2 was the last REAL Land Rover in the states. Now the Lr3 has become the #1 shop truck. Erik just did a 1300 mile round trip in it where 75mph was the norm. The Lr3 is a hard to beat combo and one of the best Overland vehicles made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven