Lucky8’s Project Discovery 3

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I mean, just look at how big those nerfs are...

Ummmm... I feel like I just walked into the middle of a discussion. What are you talking about? All I see is rectangular slide rails.

How are they mounted? How do they resist twist and leverage forces? Hard to tell from that photo, but do they tie back to the frame?

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
haha...yes it is the middle of a LONG convo.

They're sill mounted sliders, they don't tie into the frame.

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
7. Hill Decent works....maybe too well. I hardly ever used it, but know this: It works in reverse (handy!)
This! Steep, very muddy hill with lots of trees. Failed climb. HDC lowers the pulse by a factor of 10.

I don't really get the nerfs comment either... Nice pic, tho.

Daddymow

Was behind Justin and the Lucky8 LR3 this past weekend in Virginia and it was amazing on a long, steep descent with lose shale and loamy soil I'm in lo range, 1st gear and standing on the brakes and his brake lights almost never come on. A couple of pics from this weekend on a steep uphill mud run.

Attachments

• Lucky8-3.jpg
    Lucky8-3.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 65
  • Lucky8-2.jpg
    Lucky8-2.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 63

brickpaul65

Adventurer
Justin,

Any updates on how you are liking the LR3 after driving it a little more? Also, I second the thought "Who makes that front skid plate?".

I have a few questions about the wheels too. Is there an update on pricing and availability? Will they have the same bead retaining ability as stock Land Rover wheels? I don't know the specifics but I have seen it mentioned several times that LR wheels have a feature that helps retain the tire bead - granted it was usually in references to older OEM wheels so may not apply.

Final question, not to avoid purchasing these wheels but I have seen a few 17" sets from the v6's pop up and I was wondering if they would fit with a spacer. Similar to how the 18" wheels go onto the LR4's.

Ray_G

Explorer
Like Raub I had the opportunity to wheel with Justin and the L8 D3 over the past weekend at Wintergreen, VA. The truck did very well and is nicely setup from what I observed. Some pics of it in action during a couple of our runs:
L8_D3_wintergreen_1.jpg

Sliders functioning as intended:
L8_D3_wintergreen_2.jpg

The L8 D3 acting as the tail anchor as both it and a D90 help a no-brakes stricken Disco off a long, slippery, steep downhill:
L8_D3_wintergreen_3.jpg

For context, almost immediately after clearing that this LR4 got sideways and very, very tippy (photo doesn't do it justice-my daughter and I were right behind Steve as he teetered). The rocks were rather loose and what I will say is that the D3/D4 has some amazing capabilities when it has traction (Justin's tires went a long way in that regard I think) but when it doesn't...those things are HEAVY.
D4_tippy.jpg

A final picture, and an unabashed plug. The L8 D3 helping another LR3 owner who suffered a massive sidewall tear.
L8_D3_wintergreen_4.jpg
Admittedly I count Justin as a friend but think his actions speak for themselves, not only does he support the community a great deal through sponsorship and provision of parts but he wheels at many of the events we all go to. More than that, at every event I've been to with him I've seen him helping other people without hesitation. Sometimes that takes the form of drinking beer beside my truck with my then girlfriend (now wife) as I replace the motor mount she broke...(MAR 09) :) or other times it is setting up a de facto workshop in the driving rain to replace 3rd members on a teammates Dii during VOT. It matters not, he's there leading, lending tools, providing parts and helping.
r-
Ray

spikemd

Explorer
And he is happy to answer questions on the phone about his products. Hence the reason I try to buy my parts from Lucky8 and support him.

Keep up the good work Justin. Looks like the LR3 is working for you. Any new advancements or parts?

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Sorry for the long delay.
Lucky8's Project Discovery 3 Update : Testing 1,2,3…..4

After having all the issues in the sugar snow, I was thankful that SCARR in Texas was the next event on the docket.

SCARR is a fantastic event held by Texas Rovers at Barnwell Mountain. Barnwell has over 1800 acres of trails and we thought this would be a perfect venue to challenge our Disco 3. In fact we were so excited that we hit the trails as soon as we arrived.

To make things more interesting, we arranged to have a D1, D2 and D4 tackle the trails along side the L8 Disco 3. The goal was to see what truck was best if any at all.

To make sure nobody cheated, we enlisted the services of Staff sargent Army Rover.

After doing a little bit of reading courtesy of Nathan Woods, I was armed with button-pressing knowledge and ready to prove that the D3 was the best of the Discos.

The conditions in Texas were mostly dry, hard-packed clay with some rocks thrown in for good measure. In my opinion this is some of the most ideal conditions for the Disco 3 and thankfully the farthest thing from snow.

The Disco 3 danced around every obstacle it encountered. For the first time I was truly happy with the truck.

I think the Disco felt my content and decided to seek revenge for all the bad things I had said in the past. First, there was a little starter issue. It was my turn to tackle one of the obstacles so I turned the key to fire up the truck and………… nothing. I hit the key a few more times and luckily the starter jumped to life. Not wanting to test fate I pledged to never shut the truck off again.

The Disco 3 is a smart truck, maybe a little too smart. I think the computer did not like the off-road abuse it was getting so it shut the starter off. Since that did not work the next most logical step was to kill the alternator.

We were in big trouble now. Thank god we had a Gap Diagnostics tool and could monitor the voltage.

In the interest of science we continued to push the truck to see were it would die. Around 10.8v is where we started to lose systems. Unfortunately, traction control was one of the first to go.

By 9v the truck was on life support. I'm guessing only the engine ECU was getting the remaining power from the battery.

At 8.8v the Smell R Three had given up the ghost.

On the bright side, here is a quick "How-to" on swapping the starter in a field.

You will need to get under the truck. I used an open deck trailer but in theory you could find a little ravine to work in. What ever you do, make sure it is safe.

Just for reference this is what the starter looks like. You can guess the old vs. new

Step 1: Disconnect the battery.

Step 2: From under the truck, undo the easier of the 2 starter bolts just so you can feel good about yourself. Unfortunately that good feeling will be over soon.

Step 3: Remove the passengers side front tire and pull off the heat shield by removing these little nuts.

Oh yeah, don't forget this extra bolt on the side.

Step 4: With the heat shield out of the way, think of every bad word you have used in your life. You"re going to need all of them. Stick a box wrench in between the control arm and slowly undo the top starter bolt. Without removing the arm there is no room to do any thing fast. You get a 1/64th of a turn on the bolt at a time. If you're lucky, when the bolt is loose, you can undo it with your fingers. Good luck and I'll talk to you in 2 hrs.

Step 5: With the starter free, undo the solenoid input wire quick disconnect.

Step 6: Undo the main starter wire.

Step 7: Reinstall and smile.

And finally, the poser pic that cost us the starter and alternator.

Mack73

Adventurer
That little puddle took out the starter and alternator?

I've had water over the hood a couple times without a problem

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
That little puddle took out the starter and alternator?

I've had water over the hood a couple times without a problem

Crazy Right!???

We were doing the splish splash for the video and next thing I know is the starter and alt are DOA.

Ovrland

Adventurer
yze5a9ys.jpg

LOL...sign in the background says "Keep Off" 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A.J.M

Explorer
Lost a starter on mine doing similar last year. Also out to prove that the D3 could hold its own.

Good battery, alternator and starter will keep them happy.

Glad you read up on how to get more from them, with some knowledge they really are surpringly good off road, very capable package from the box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman