Lucky8’s Project Discovery 3

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Lucky8’s Project Discovery 3 Update : Ugly shoes

Ok so everyone and their stepmother hated the silver rims. I get it! Please stop with the hate mail.
Really
Please stop.

I was hoping the silver and green would look good. Unfortunately for me this was wrong but I have made amends. Here is the rim in black.

Full of chest pounding confidents in my new black rims we headed off to the winter romp.

The best way to describe the conditions at this years winter romp is sugar. This powder sugar type snow made movement almost impossible and if you got off the beaten path , well as they say in the big city forget about it.

After battling most of the nigh through mounds of sugar snow I had no love left for the LR3. I’ll throw this question out there. Why the hell did the engineer responsible for traction control turn off power to the motor when it is needed most?

I had enough of traction control, terrain response and kinetic straps for one night. It was time for bed.

Early the next morning I went out to scowl at the Lr3. Believe me when I tell you this, I wanted it to be good. But every time I need it the truck it would let me down. I finished my tiny breakfast at Big Gs and went back out to give it another go.

Photo by Zack Griswold

The trail conditions changed a little over night for the better giving the Nittos some solid ground to bite. If you listen closely to this video clip you will hear how hard I had to work the truck to get it through what seems like an easy snow-covered trail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRyIKaTSTgU&list=UUUnCLXtAqip_9qd-T1NenbA&feature=c4-overview

I was able to enjoy the truck a little more the second day, and to be honest everything was getting stuck out there.

Photo by Zack Griswold

There is no poser pic today but I do have two videos and a question.

Video one is a well equipped Disco3 on a 2in lift running snow chains. This truck was in rock mode as it tried to cross a sugar patch. Although both lockers were engaged the computer would not let the truck pick up the speed needed to get across.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWW2ys-9BjM&feature=c4-overview&list=UUUnCLXtAqip_9qd-T1NenbA

Video two is the L8 Disco 3 in sand mode. I had to flog it all the way through the sugar patch. By keeping the REV’s up and all the wheels spinning about the same speed my new nemesis, the computer did not shut down the engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y6ZNYoUP3M&feature=c4-overview&list=UUUnCLXtAqip_9qd-T1NenbA

Now the question.
What setting in terrain response is your favorite and why?

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Maybe
Why ?

Dynamic Stability Control will sense wheel spin and steering angle, attempting to keep the vehicle "stable" with braking and reduced engine torque. That means when the LR3 started spinning its wheels in the snow, and you attempted to correct direction, TC applied brakes and reduced torque. Works well on flat snow and ice, not so well in deep snow. The Land Rover demo of DSC shows the vehicle traveling around a snow covered virtual race track and how it keeps the vehicle headed in the direction the driver steers and "stable". Combined braking and reduced throttle work well for that situation.

Also, consider the TC modes to be "suggestions". Try Sand mode with DSC off, which keeps you in lower gears longer and further desensitizes DSC (not sure it can be completely disabled) and also allows more wheel spin and torque.

Experiment with TC until you figure out the right settings for the conditions. Remember ................ suggestions.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Dude, you seriously need to read about your truck. As I have said hundreds of times, the Modern Rover is completely different than old school stuff. LEARN IT. Embrace it, master it, revel in it.

Kill DSC as soon as you leave pavement. It applies the brakes and kills the throttle, and it is NOT traction control.

Second, don't use sand mode in deep snow and then try to drive like a throttle jockey. Sand mode retards the throttle on take off specifically to prevent wheel spin and breaking through the crust. Handy sometimes, but not how you are driving it. It does allow free rev's though once you are in motion.

Go here: http://lr3tips.wordpress.com/owners-manuals/

Start with the last document in the list, "Terrain_Response, An Innovative Integrated Traction System for the Land Rover Vehicles” – white paper on the theory behind the Terrain Response design and programing (792kb PDF)

Then applogize to those engineers who take the time to write stuff for you to learn. It's a modern rover. It's different. Figure that out.

Last edited:

zelatore

Explorer
Having played with mine in icy snow and in deep thick mud, I found turning off the DSC was really helpful otherwise it was just like you said - the electronic nannies really shut the truck down. With it off they the computers still have their say, but now you get to have some input too.
In both situations I was in 'grass/sand/snow' mode.
frankly I was surprised how well the computers worked.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Hmm interesting comments about the computer system. I just picked up an 08 RRS so ill be interested to see if it acts similarly. I learned on the first run off road however that i hate the descent control.

frank84

Observer
Justin's terrain response issues in the deep snow sounds identical to what I've seen. Sand mode tended to work best overall but an "off" button to completely disable it and a simple "lock" for the diffs would be the best solution. But that is just my opinion.

zelatore

Explorer
an "off" button to completely disable it and a simple "lock" for the diffs would be the best solution. But that is just my opinion.

Seriously, why can't they do this? Why not give the driver an option for manual control? I get that they are really proud of the computers, and they actually work quite well, but there are times you simply want full manual control. Just like you can disable the ABS on dual-sport bikes.

Hello, aftermarket? Anything you can do here? GAP - are you listening?

I suppose their is an answer in the form of three letters. ARB.

iowalr4

Adventurer
Using sand mode in deep snow is new to me. I actually haven't had much issue using just snow mode or maybe mud/ruts if I dont want the throttle cut down as much. In mud/ruts it will change when it locks up a little, but works well.

DSC off for sure. That would definitely ruin your day.

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
Seriously, why can't they do this? Why not give the driver an option for manual control? I get that they are really proud of the computers, and they actually work quite well, but there are times you simply want full manual control. Just like you can disable the ABS on dual-sport bikes.

Hello, aftermarket? Anything you can do here? GAP - are you listening?
Yes http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...Rover-Discovery-4-(LR4)?p=1529015#post1529015
Been in planning for a while - just need the time to get to it.

spikemd

Explorer
I am picking up an LR3 very similar to yours, Justin. Its a 2006 Tonga Green with 83k miles. It was Sasqatch Offroad's truck and comes equipped with an ARB front bumper, Superwinch EP9, roof rack and of course his adjustable height rods. I will be picking it up Sunday.

It is a very different beast from my P38 and sounds like I have some reading in store for me to figure out the terrain response system and best conditions for each setting.

I am not getting rid of my P38.

Eniam17

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure the LR3 got stuck on that snowy hill on Friday night because because you have rear mud flaps on :)

After you guys left that hill where the 3 was buried off to the right of the trail and the P38 was winching it out, the only vehicles that made it up were ones that stayed high and to the left. Everyone that sunk down toward the right where you were stuck got buried. Locked series trucks on 34's, locked D1's on 35's, everyone was stuck there FWIW.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
I'm pretty sure the LR3 got stuck on that snowy hill on Friday night because because you have rear mud flaps on :)

After you guys left that hill where the 3 was buried off to the right of the trail and the P38 was winching it out, the only vehicles that made it up were ones that stayed high and to the left. Everyone that sunk down toward the right where you were stuck got buried. Locked series trucks on 34's, locked D1's on 35's, everyone was stuck there FWIW.

I started up that trail after Justin had just been winched out. I was trying to stay high and to the left, center locked and rear locked in my D2.

Couldn't for the life of me make any progress. Realized my buddy in the car had unlocked my center diff to move my truck out of the way earlier, was driving with 1 front tire :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk