M416 Build to go behind my CJ

DAMNJK

M101 US?

Where are you finding trailers? They are getting scarce and pricey in Texas.

Good luck with the potential purchase.

Beatty, NV. There is a guy there who sells ammo cans of all sizes and sometimes he gets trailers. I have a friend who drives a rock truck and goes to the quarries out there almost daily. He lets me know when the guy has trailers. He is suppose to be texting me some pictures in a few minutes as he has was out there already this morning. I will let you know what he has after my trip out there.

Yes M101 American. I have to find away to make more room in my JK unlimited. We are a family of four with 2 labs. We just got back from 2 days at the grand canyon and the Jeep was like a boat on the highway. I need to get the weight off the top of the JK. Hopefully this will work out. If not I will keep shopping for a used trailer.

old_blue

I was just in Beatty last week. He has 2 M416's, one with the tailgate cut, and a small dump trailer from WW2. He wants 800 and 850 for the M416s. They both have a bit of rust and peeling paint, as far as I can remember.

DAMNJK

I just got back from Beatty. Both M416s were in bad condition. One had a tailgate cut in it and a bent axle for $850 and the other was rusty and the floor was very wavy for $900. I was tempted to buy a M101a3 he had for $1500. It was in perfect condition,never used. I am afraid the 1300lbs unloaded is just to much for my Jeep JK.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Decent M416's are getting really hard to find and the prices on them are going thru the roof. Too bad these were not worth restoring or converting.

The lid for my trailer is painted and waiting to be buffed out on Monday. I will pick it up Monday afternoon. While it was gone. I took the tub off of the frame and sprayed undercoating on the entire bottom.

Undersidewiithcoatin.jpg

Put it all back together and sanded and primed the 1" angle iron that is welded around the pipe. Getting it ready for a test camping trip next weekend.

95RRC

Adventurer
Hey Don - question for you:

When you rebuilt, did you replace all the bolts/nuts/washers? If so - or even if you didn't - did you spray them the color of the frame...or leave them bright and shiny as they come from the hardware store?

DonBeasley

Adventurer
LET THE CAMPING BEGIN (FINALLY)!!!!!!!!

Well, after a long wait for the lid, another month for installing it, and finally sending it to the paint shop last week, the lid is finally on the trailer and so is the tent. We are ready for a "dry run" (it is supposed to rain this weekend) Friday and Saturday. Just a short trip to the state park to try the tent, tables, stove, shower, etc.

Here is how it looked about an hour ago.

Thule rack installed:

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

Tent installed:

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0013.jpg

Trailer loaded:

DSCF0016.jpg

And the license plate says it all:

DSCF0017.jpg

Will try and open the tent before dark and get some good daytime shots.

Overland Expo here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!

95RRC

Adventurer
CRAP! THat is one shiny trailer :) - very well done sir....I am motivated ONCE AGAIN to get out to the garage and keep working on mine!

DonBeasley

Adventurer
It will stay this way until we get back from Expo in May and then sometime this summer or fall, it is back to the paint and body shop for tub work,paint to match the jeep, and bedliner on the inside.

In the meantime I am drawing up plans for the battery/power box in the nose. I am wanting to review my designs with folks at Expo before I start buying stuff and cutting on the box.

Go build!!!!! There is great pain and satisfaction in the building part and knowing every single part on your trailer.

grimbo

Explorer
Looks great, come together very nicely. Be interested to hear how it goes and if everything works as expected.

The propane tank mounts, are they just the strap or do they have a bottom to them as well? Also are they bolted on or welded?

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Looks great, come together very nicely. Be interested to hear how it goes and if everything works as expected.

The propane tank mounts, are they just the strap or do they have a bottom to them as well? Also are they bolted on or welded?

The tank brackets come from PowerTank (the CO2 folks) and it is made especially for these 5 lb bottles. They are bolted on with 4 bolts per bracket and yes there is a bottom to them as well.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Don don't let the rear D rings scratch the bumper! get some spacers for those or take them off.
The trailer looks awesome! Can't wait to see the matching Brown paint.

Mark

95RRC

Adventurer
Don - I just noticed the square tubing on the rim...did you take off the original tub rim, that is round? Or bolt it on over the round rim? Intrigued by what you did...cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk