M416 trailer build my brother and I

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Here is a few pictures of the trailer 2 weeks ago at the Bank of America 500.
BOA1.jpgBOA2.jpg
BOA3.jpgBOA4.jpg
BOA7.jpgBOA10.jpg
Several people came up to us and asked if it was a cooker. No it's just the ultimate tailgating vehicle.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I see where Powertank now makes a 10 lb propane bottle holder but I carry 2-5lb bottles and never seem to run out and the 10 lb may be too tall for my M416.

Yeah weight is always an issue. I am about to completely empty my trailer and go thru each item, assess the "real need" and eliminate some weight.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
The 5 lb fit just right on the trailer, I used it for the race and then took it out last weekend to URE 10 (Uwharrie Rover Expedition 10) and cooked with it the whole time. I carry a spare 1 lb bottle just in case but no issues so far. As far as the weight goes, I'm going to have to replace the springs in it, currently the origanals are on it. The springs are about level now so during Thanksgiving weekend we are going to but 3500 lb springs on it.

profdlp

Adventurer
I see where Powertank now makes a 10 lb propane bottle holder but I carry 2-5lb bottles and never seem to run out...

I like that idea. Another good thing is that it might be better to exchange a 5 lb tank while knowing you had plenty left in the other one, rather than wait until a 10 lb tank was nearly empty and then HAVING to get more propane or be clear out.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
The bumper is bolted on the rear and goes on the hitch. You would never know it was bolted on though it's solid. Here's a few more pictures of it.
IMG_20131025_163208_136.jpg
Sorry this one is a little blury.
IMG_20131025_163220_542.jpg
IMG_20131025_163236_042.jpg

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Well we weighted the trailer today, the original weight was 850 lbs before we started and now we are up to 1450 lbs. So the issue is the springs were an issue, they were flat and bottomed out after going on a rough road. We placed the springs on it today. Here's some before and after pictures.
How low the trailer rode as it was.
IMG_20131126_131008_399.jpg
Here was the new parts from Northern Tool.
IMG_20131126_131045_174.jpg
Old and new springs.
IMG_20131127_092508_483.jpg
IMG_20131127_092448_247.jpg
IMG_20131127_092508_483.jpgIMG_20131127_114343_480.jpg

Last edited:

jah310

Adventurer
Good read, great trailer! Where did you purchase the 5lb propane tank and bracket? It looks like the ones AT sells but not sure. Awesome work!

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Good read, great trailer! Where did you purchase the 5lb propane tank and bracket? It looks like the ones AT sells but not sure. Awesome work!

Thanks, it's a continuously evolving project. The propane tank was from amazon and the bracket was home make, my brother looked at the one from AT and made one similar to it.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Trailer looks great Wayne!! Are you and Scott documenting the other build?

Chick says hi!!

Thomas
Hey Thomas, the trailer has changed a lot since you had seen it last summer, we took care of the struts pushing the tub out of square. We also added a lot of other things to it, as I take it out or see something posted on here we make the changes. As far as documenting the other build we are not. I'll post some pictures of the progress on here though. It's almost finished at least as far as Scott is concerned. The person who it is being built for is going to Ft Knox I believe so you may see it out there attached to a Tacoma.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
So here are some pictures of the second build, this was built from scratch. The more my brother works on them the better he gets. This is his second build, the third build will be his.
This is the frame being built.
Dave 1.jpg
The front of the trailer had to be able to carry a generator. The box on the front is to hold a winch to pull the generator onto the trailer. Also the tire set next to the trailer with a fender to see how it would look.
Dave 2.jpg
Test fit of the generator.
Dave 3.jpg
Sitting next to my trailer, the frame is done. Now for the tub.
Dave 4.jpg
This was made similar to the 416 trailers. It's a little bigger though.
Dave 5.jpg
I'll post some more photos later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven