M416 trailer build my brother and I

speed2005

Observer
That's awesome! Are you tracking the cost of building something like this? Wondering what a diy like this costs.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
So the tongue box that he had on it was scrapped and he went another way with the box. The sheet metal had one bend put into it and the rest had to be welded together.
Dave 6.jpg
So here is the new box shape, the same as the trailer tub. No Harbor Freight tongue box here, it's all home made.
Dave 7.jpg
The tongue box is an extension of the tub.
Dave 8.jpg
Dave 9.jpg
Dave 11.jpg
The start of the tailgate.
Dave 10.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Would you guys be willing to adopt another brother?

Love the first build.....and the second one is way cool too!

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
So a few more pictures. The fenders were purchased at Northern Tool, they were not wide enough for the tires so the fenders were cut in half and extended a few inches to accommodate the tires.
Dave 11a.jpg
Here's the fender on the trailer. You can see where it was extended on these pictures. You will not be able to notice it on the finished product.
Dave 11b.jpg
Here's the lid / top that was fabricated, it was opposite of the bottom. Unlike when we worked on my lid the tub is square on this one. It makes it much easier.
Dave 11c.jpg
The finished product of the lid. This trailer is going to weigh a lot more then my trailer.
Dave 12.jpg
The axel and springs are 3500 pound and the lug pattern is for a Toyota Tacoma.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Here's a few more pictures that I just found. This is the tongue jack from my trailer that was changed out. This trailer is a little taller so we will be able to cut the foot plate off and replace it with a wheel.
Dave 12b.jpg
Here are some shots of the tub being built. At the metal shop you can get them to place a bend in the metal. So the first angle was bent and the other was welded on.
Dave 12c.jpg
Dave 12d.jpg
The top welds completed and to front of the tub welded.
Dave 12e.jpg
Dave 12f.jpg

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Why would you not have them bend it twice and save all that weld time?
Good question, the bend has to be at least 9 inches apart to fit on the machine, so there's the issue, I think the second bend is 6 or 7 inches from the first. If they would put the second one in there it would save a lot of time.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Here's a few more pictures of the progress.
Dave 13.jpg
The main box open and the start of the roof rack.
Dave 13a.jpg
Roof rack with the adjusters on it for the RTT.
Dave 13b.jpg
Both boxes open.
Dave 13c.jpg
If you look at the center of the tongue box you will see the winch for the generator.
Dave 14.jpg
Next it's going to be painted and then all the small finishing touches.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Here's a few of the finishing touches. Mounted the vin tag on the tongue and had the sheriff come by and inspect it. The tags will be next.
Dave 22.jpg
Of course you have to have the bottle opener.
Dave 20.jpg
Wood inlay in the tailgate.
Dave 24.jpg
The wiring for the battery box. I know it's hard to see but it's a six switch marine switch to operate the lights.
Dave 25.jpg
Dave 26.jpg
It has not been weighed yet but it's going to be heavy. It's well built and bullet proof almost like this.
1358737318355.jpg

The floor in the garage was repainted, the black trailer sucked all the light out of the room. My brother needed to brighten it up, he said it was too depressing in there.

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
Some final pictures of the trailer as it is finished up.
On board air.
Dave 27.jpg
Another picture of the air hose and bottle opener (some of you my recognize the insignia on the opener), a little special touch.
Dave 28.jpg
A few more pictures from the inside of the front box with and without the shelf.
Dave 29.jpg
Dave 30.jpg
The winch controller and scissor jack handle.
Dave 31.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven