Mark's '95 fzj80...

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Robb is right, the Kaymar is a great and proven bumper. I never meant it was crap for a bumper, it just wasn't for me. Personal preference, that's all. The kaymar is stout, I've seen it take hits just fine. David Zartman (publisher of 4wdtoyotaowner) took his kaymar equiped 80 across the rubicon and his bumper didn't take any major damage, IIRC. There's a thread on mud about it somewhere. I just think the labs is the next level of 'stoutness.'

If you plan on adding a 44gal aux tank, the kaymar has the best contour lines to fit and protect the tank. On the other hand my bumper would leave the tank exposed.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I've ran two Kaymar bumpers.. one on my rockcrawler XJ and one on our Landcruiser. Both faired fine. I ran the XJ one through the hammer trails in Johnson valley and dented it on the underside in a few spots when i landed on it. What i usually tell everyone... is , if they're going to use the rig for hardcore rockcrawling or plan on landing on it at all.. stay away. Go with HANNA, SLEE or something thats more stout. The Kaymar bumper is made for Touring, Overlanding and Expedition type use. It's not made for rocks.

Sorry for the hijack Mark.

Mlachica

brake replacement

Before one of my trips this summer my rear brakes started squealing for attention. I didn't have time to order stuff to do it up right. I knew I wanted to upgrade the rear rotors/pads so I opted to temporarily bandaid my brake problem by just grabbing some raybestos pads until I returned from my trip.

I was in for a surprise. When I removed the rear wheel I found that one of the previous owners ground down the caliper and caliper mounting template. I'm guessing so they could run a specific rim. It didn't look too pretty.

After my trip I made a few phone calls and lightened up my wallet a bit. Here's what I ordered...

- 4000 series DBA slotted rotors
- Axxis Ult Ceramic Pads
- OEM calipers
- OEM caliper mounting template
- And a bunch of little OEM pieces to make it complete

I installed it all this morning, along with flushing the brake fluid. On to the pics...

Old setup
IMG_2213.jpg

Old caliper, see the grinding.
IMG_2215.jpg

New Caliper, notice the difference?
IMG_2220.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

Last edited:

Mlachica

I've only done the bedding in process so I can't really say how they feel yet. The pedal is more firm. I'd imagine it'll get even better when I change all the brake lines to SS. :sombrero:

I can't wait to do the front. I did a front axle rebuild about a year and a half ago which included new pads/rotors. Only a month later the brakes were shuddering again. I'm guessing the pistons in the calipers are gummy and not retracting all the way all the time. It might have been because I was unaware of the bedding in process as well. I need check out my front calipers before I go forking out any cash. I also need to replace an inner axle seal - it's leaking. And Slee just came out with a nice looking installation tool, I think I'll have to add that to the tool arsenal.

clarkrw3

Observer
Nice build up!! Love to see an 80 built. I love the water tank, just don't know where I would put it (we always have two labs in the back on the drawer system). What size is your tent? We are similar situations with kids I have a almost 3yo and 1 1/2yo so it has slowed the exploration and wheeling a bit.

looking good!!

Unbelievable that they would grind that much off the calipers, doesn't look safe at all. Wonder if the owner even knew or if the shop that sold the wheels just did it.

Last edited:

Mlachica

I had some time last weekend to complete my brake job. I also took the time to rebuild the driver's side knuckle. The inner seal was leaking badly so I replaced it as well as the hub seal (both oem). All the bearings soaked in gasoline and were repacked with mobil 1 synthetic grease. The birfield also soaked in gasoline and was packed with valvoline 3% moly grease along with the knuckle.

To top off the brake upgrades I replaced the front calipers with rebuilt oem calipers. And to match the rear I used DBA 4000 series slotted rotors along with Axxis Ultimate Ceramic pads. When I replaced the rear calipers I noticed the brake lines were showing signs of cracking so to improve pedal feel and increase reliability I replaced all 7 brake lines with Slee's stainless steel braided lines. Is it possible that the old rubber brake lines were breaking down and making the brake fluid dark?

IMG_0167.jpg

I finished the job by doing the bedding in process 3 times.

Having the peace of mind of a great braking 6000lb+ suv is great. The braking has improved remarkably. So far I'm very, very happy with the setup and condition of my braking system. The pedal feel is awesome and the stopping power makes me smile everytime I use the brakes.

I ended the weekend with a trip to Big Bear. I ran Deep Creek aka Dishpan Springs with a few friends. I've never done that trail, it was a lot of fun. The 80 never ceases to amaze me.

IMG_2592.jpg

Mlachica

pskhaat said:
What was wrong with the old ones?

The passenger side caliper had a sticky piston. I bought the OEM caliper rebuild kit as well. I just couldn't afford the down time to rebuild the knuckle, change the brakes and rebuild my calipers so I got some from Mr. T. I saved my old calipers to rebuild them for some hands on experience.

I also figured since most of my braking system was new why skimp out on the front calipers to save something in the range of 160 bucks.

Now I have great peace of mind having my family in the 80 while decending steep Sierra grades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online