Mercedes 309 D

kerry

Expedition Leader
One additional relevant fact for the US is that top speed is typically around 55mph.

Esmi

Explorer
That one is the queen of all 0-309-Ds.

It was on eBay for a long long time with a reserve in that same neighborhood. There was also a caveat from the seller that he would not sell to someone who was going to camperize it. It looks like a dealer listing now, so that has likely changed.

They are neat. I had one for awhile (mine was a POS), and it is only marginally longer than a Sprinter. Much better clearance, way slower. My mechanic still owns "my" 309, and reports fuel economy in the neighborhood of 19 mpg. (I believe my mechanic is playing loosely with the truth in this regard.)

Last edited:

kerry

Expedition Leader
There was a pristine blue and while example on Ebay about 7 or 8 yrs ago in CA. It sold for around $24k IIRC. The buyer was in the SouthEast. Within a few weeks it reappeared on Ebay in the SouthEast. I figured that one long drive across the US at a max of 55mph wide open and considerably slower on hills was enough for the purchaser.
I've owned a 307d and a 409d, both of which were on the shorter/smaller chassis than this 309d (the bus number '309d' is out of sequence with MB's typically van numbering system) and 19mpg is not totally out of the question. My 307d was a 21' Class motorhome with the 616 4 cylinder engine with a 5 spd. It returned 21 or 22 mpg on a imperial gallon.

ctp13

309D's

I have owned three 309's two with the OM314 both autos and one newer with the 617 found in the 300d series cars.

The 314's got about 14mpg going cross country foot on the floor wide open at 2800 RPM

The 314 4 cyl is an industrial motor built to run wide open -forever.

I sold my blue one to a guy in OR who was replacing his that had over 2 million miles on it Yes 2 MIllion! it was a mobile shop and he drove it every day all day from job to job - and it drove away when he sold it.

They are limited in Germany to 55 ( or what ever the KM's are equal to ) and are geared for that.

Here in the US they were specced out with Allison 4 speed autos - not the best choice but robust.

I have driven a 5 speed stick with an overdrive ( not on the freeway however) and it seemed better the "splitter" was not working so it was just a stick but offered a better choice of gears.

With it functioning I believe one could manage 60+

Also the rear axel is just an axel which could be swapped for a domestic one with better gears OR add in a remote Transfercase for a real adventure rig with 4WD !

They did make some with the 6 cyl OM352 that are used in Unimogs and I know a guy that says he can run 80 easy with his. That same engine was avalable in the MBZ trucks 13xx series with turbo .

But it should be remembered that MBZ built these to run in third world environs with little to no maintenance and do so for a very long time.

Parts are available here through a guy in OR

But they are loud that engine is in the bus with you .

Chuck

luddite

Anyone need a project?
Hi, I have a 1974 309d camper that i need to compact. I will either part this out or sell it to someone that wants a project. I already have a 309 bus that runs and I use as a short trip camper (we love it) .I picked up this extra bus for parts but it seemed to nice to cut up so it just sits.
The engine had the head taken off and completely rebuilt. It needs to be reassembled.
The transmission an Allison auto I was told is good.
The body is in good shape except at the rear window where there is rust/rot.
If I decide to part this out it has all the glass, lights a great original Mercedes drivers seat, complete drive train less engine assembly and much more.
Bus is located in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Please let me know if anyone is interested or where a good place to post this would be.
Contact me at dragonara (at) gmail.com
Danny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__

Members online