MG Metalworks Radius Arm/Coil Spring Axle Conversion for E-series Vans

Ranchero

Wanderer
Discount Tire has a pretty good sale going on today and tomorrow for Labor Day. I'm off to place my order for 5 315/70-17 Wrangler Duratracs on 5 MB 352 wheels. Woo hoo! Money out the door!

Thanks for that tip! I just ordered a set of Cooper Discoverer M&S 275/70R18 (about 33s) and some Method wheels. Would love to have 35s, but snow tires are more important in the short term for me. Duratracs are a great tire! Had them on my 80 for awhile.

djbonsu

Adventurer
Maybe $4500 if you're paying someone, but that still seems excessive.
There's an lkq I use that has clean axles for decent prices. I've seen 05'+ axles on eBay for 2-300 not looking too evil.
I paid $450 for a rather nice 99-04 axle in 2014. Sold it here for same price after I bought a TTB for $75.00

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed! After a total rebuild of my axle ('03 Dana 60) minus the pinion bearing and re-gearing I was into my f axle for ~ $2300 if that. I didn't have to regear as I found the 4.10 ratio that I wanted w/ only 93k on the axle for $450 and that was inclusive of what I had into the axle. Deals on parts can be had if you are patient and do your homework. Rockauto.com and premium parts from my local parts store at a discount saved me a lot of money as well. So yea, $2100 for a complete and recent superduty axle is a pretty good deal.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Maybe $4500 if you're paying someone, but that still seems excessive.

I wouldn't say its excessive, the parts list adds up quick when you're replacing everything that wears. Add a L/S, gears, cleaning, quality parts, the list is extensive. Deals can be found on axles, the cheapest I've paid is $250 but an average core price is more like 700-1000. If someone finds a 500 axle I consider that a good price.

If you want to see excessive ck out Dynatrac! Get what you pay for but they're big $.

philos

Explorer
It's excessive for a basic rebuild. Your stage one axles are $3995 ready to go.
Yeah, lockers etc bring prices up, but apples to apples, $4500 for a basic rebuild is too much.
I'm certain I'm sounding like that internet troll who can get everything better and cheaper, but it's not my intent.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
It's excessive for a basic rebuild. Your stage one axles are $3995 ready to go.
Yeah, lockers etc bring prices up, but apples to apples, $4500 for a basic rebuild is too much.
I'm certain I'm sounding like that internet troll who can get everything better and cheaper, but it's not my intent.

Ha, troll! :) Its not a basic rebuild, every wearing part gets replaced. A true trac is $650, 4.10 or 4.56 gear set is $385, master bearing kit is $301. All prices from RRP. Thats $1336 plus labor (average 3-4 hrs for a re gear and inner axle seals) so $1696 for the jump from Stage 1 to Stage 2. And I charge $1000. Hmm, maybe I'm actually loosing $ and need to raise the Stage 2 price!

philos

Explorer
Ha, troll! :) Its not a basic rebuild, every wearing part gets replaced. A true trac is $650, 4.10 or 4.56 gear set is $385, master bearing kit is $301. All prices from RRP. Thats $1336 plus labor (average 3-4 hrs for a re gear and inner axle seals) so $1696 for the jump from Stage 1 to Stage 2. And I charge $1000. Hmm, maybe I'm actually loosing $ and need to raise the Stage 2 price!

We may be making the same/similar point.

Any case, hijack over? An axle thread might be nice...

Jsweezy

Explorer
10 weeks seems to be about the average wait time on springs from Ujoint these days. I'm excited to see what you think!

GNTY

Adventurer
Why start when the springs get there?

Because when you quickly get done pre-spring stuff and then have an immobile van sitting on the hoist for two months with no progress waiting for springs you start to loose sleep. Trust me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven