MG Metalworks Radius Arm/Coil Spring Axle Conversion for E-series Vans

Because when you quickly get done pre-spring stuff and then have an immobile van sitting on the hoist for two months with no progress waiting for springs you start to loose sleep. Trust me.

This.^ My van needs to function for my business with minimal downtime this time of year. Eventually the biz will buy its own van and mine will be just mine. Plus, I am doing it in my driveway with a bit of a slope. If the back gets a 6" lift plus the big tires, it will level things out a bit while working on the front.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
My spring guy has finally kicked it up a notch, he's shipping at 6 weeks or under as of today.

I've also made some changes to avoid long lead times on springs for "regular" vans. I sent a PO for 12 sets, half to be shipped here and half to be staged on the west coast so they can ship immediately. Those springs should be ready to go in 3-4 weeks.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
This.^ My van needs to function for my business with minimal downtime this time of year. Eventually the biz will buy its own van and mine will be just mine. Plus, I am doing it in my driveway with a bit of a slope. If the back gets a 6" lift plus the big tires, it will level things out a bit while working on the front.

Oh gotcha, I didn't think you were driving it, at least the last couple time I saw ya'

Petrolburner

Explorer
My spring guy has finally kicked it up a notch, he's shipping at 6 weeks or under as of today.

I've also made some changes to avoid long lead times on springs for "regular" vans. I sent a PO for 12 sets, half to be shipped here and half to be staged on the west coast so they can ship immediately. Those springs should be ready to go in 3-4 weeks.

Good thinking.

goatherder

no trepidation
SO...the big question on my mind (and maybe a few others) is: How much for the bracketry to install the coil spring axle? Because I saw the cost estimate of the complete conversion at "less than $10,000." Which seems like damn big pile of cash to me... considering that I can get a complete front axle right out of the truck with all the trimmings for under $1000, and the transfer case and adapter for another $1000. So that leaves 8.

So I'd need these brackets, front springs, shocks, a track bar, and a new pitman arm with a larger taper cut into it, and relocate the oil filter. Even with new ball joints, u-joints, unit bearings and all the seals in the axle I'm not seein' another 8 grand.

I priced out a conversion using U-joint's parts and came up with about $3500. What am I missing here?

Jsweezy

Explorer
Where are you finding axles in Washington with all the trimmings for under 1k dollars? I'm not being sarcastic when I ask this either.

Also, why do you need to move the oil filter?

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
Where are you finding axles in Washington with all the trimmings for under 1k dollars? I'm not being sarcastic when I ask this either.

Also, why do you need to move the oil filter?

I found several new take off 2015 axles around here (TX) for $950 each!

Betarocker

Adventurer
ouoala_cad_3_2036_detail.jpg

IMGP0074_zpsrrdpvzks.jpg

These radius arms make adjusting the caster angle a breeze.
Also, they allow greater articulation than factory arms

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
A guy that converts railroad maintenance trucks told me about them. I don't know if they were simply re-using the drive assemblies from retired trucks, or if they remove the new front axles to replace with whatever mechanisms they use. I don't have any experience with RR vehicles, but I do know the $950 was at least for the complete axle assembly, not sure about springs, sway bars, etc. I'll try to get more info from him tomorrow though.

Jsweezy

Explorer
ouoala_cad_3_2036_detail.jpg

IMGP0074_zpsrrdpvzks.jpg

These radius arms make adjusting the caster angle a breeze.
Also, they allow greater articulation than factory arms

Those are pretty slick, too bad they don't come with the radius arm mounts for an E350. If they did all you would have to do is throw a newer axle under the van and be done!

Also just to clarify, this kit uses stock ford radius arms so there is no need to even have adjustable radius arms. Everything except for the radius arm mounts, spring/shock mounts and trac bar mount is a ford factory part. Quadvan doesn't even use as many ford parts as this kit does.

Last edited:

Jsweezy

Explorer
A guy that converts railroad maintenance trucks told me about them. I don't know if they were simply re-using the drive assemblies from retired trucks, or if they remove the new front axles to replace with whatever mechanisms they use. I don't have any experience with RR vehicles, but I do know the $950 was at least for the complete axle assembly, not sure about springs, sway bars, etc. I'll try to get more info from him tomorrow though.

I could understand 950 for the axle minus the brakes and everything else but if that's including everything I would start stocking up to sell them or do a couple van conversion flips.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Those are pretty slick, too bad they don't come with the radius arm mounts for an E350. If they did all you would have to do is throw a newer axle under the van and be done!

Also just to clarify, this kit uses stock ford radius arms so there is no need to even have adjustable radius arms. Everything except for the radius arm mounts, spring/shock mounts and trac bar mount is a ford factory part. Quadvan doesn't even use as many ford parts as this kit does.

Those radius arms would work in place of the stock arms if you're looking to spend more money. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven