MG Metalworks Van Build

teehee

Adventurer
I think you either missed or found your calling! Ford would be smart to have a guy like you in R&D. Awesome work, can't wait to see more! Will the truck coils fit in the van buckets or do you have something different in mind?

Darkrider

Adventurer
Thanks for following along with the madness!!! :)

Madness it is! Cummins swap, mods to the 4wd system...if i remember right doing a pop top.....madness indeed....I wish i could do even half of that to my Chevy project but alas...about the only thing i could consider is the cummins idea...4wd is a no go thanks to insurance regulations up here...poptop...well i dont need that simply because i am working on a van that already has a fiberglass raised roof.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Well there I go assuming wrong again...that's good to know. I was "assuming" that I should be looking for truck coils to fit my axle.

Let me rephrase a little... For me it works better to use van coils. I've moved the axle forward a bit and changed the spring mounting location. Easier for me to package a van coil this way than the taller truck coils.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
To give you an idea of how things are going together...

One thing I notice right away is that the shock body may be a little too long. Oh well... back to the catalogs...

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
To give you an idea of how things are going together...

One thing I notice right away is that the shock body may be a little too long. Oh well... back to the catalogs...

Very interested to see how the suspension cycles once it is all together.

Do the coil vans have a better turning radius than than the leaf sprung u joint or sprortsmobile setup? I know there was a drastic difference between the leaf sprung and coil sprung f series, but I don't know how much of the spacing and clearance issues transfer over to the E series during conversions. Granted the E series wheel base isn't all that big, but it steering noticeably different between your quadvan and Jeremy's ujoint setup?

teehee

Adventurer
Let me rephrase a little... For me it works better to use van coils. I've moved the axle forward a bit and changed the spring mounting location. Easier for me to package a van coil this way than the taller truck coils.

I suppose the only downside of using van coils is there aren't technically lift coils available, but it looks like the spacer/adapter you fabbed gives you the added lift you need.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Very interested to see how the suspension cycles once it is all together.

Do the coil vans have a better turning radius than than the leaf sprung u joint or sprortsmobile setup? I know there was a drastic difference between the leaf sprung and coil sprung f series, but I don't know how much of the spacing and clearance issues transfer over to the E series during conversions. Granted the E series wheel base isn't all that big, but it steering noticeably different between your quadvan and Jeremy's ujoint setup?

Yes, the '05+ axles have better turning radius. It's shocking how tight my van will turn actually, I'd never give that up. One of the other things I'm doing is fixing a clearance issue that I have with my van. Quadvan puts the axle centerline in the stock location but even with my tiny tires, I have all kinds of rubbing. I'm pushing the axle forward a bit with my new mounts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3