MG Metalworks Van Build

teehee

Adventurer
MG, I'm curious as to why you chose to modify a stock F series radius arm rather than build adjustable links?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Cost, it's an easy mod to make, you don't really 'need' adjustment if you've got good geometry....

This is intended to be a low cost kit with as few custom parts as possible. I want it to be mostly off the shelf stuff with the exception of the simple brackets I'm making.

I'm happy to design a custom link suspension but it will be way more money.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Yes, the '05+ axles have better turning radius. It's shocking how tight my van will turn actually, I'd never give that up. One of the other things I'm doing is fixing a clearance issue that I have with my van. Quadvan puts the axle centerline in the stock location but even with my tiny tires, I have all kinds of rubbing. I'm pushing the axle forward a bit with my new mounts.

So, much better turning than mine(6" UJOR)?

tgreening

Expedition Leader
So, much better turning than mine(6" UJOR)?

If you want a smokin turning radius stuff a super 60 up front. I could alllmost make a u-turn on a standard two way city street without hitting the curb....in a 4 door long bed F-450.

DzlToy

Explorer
^^ The 85" WMS is a deal killer for vans and standard pickups. That is why the 450 and 550 trucks all have HUGE front fender flares and run a dished/dually wheel in the front. A "super single" conversion, would require even larger fenders, i.e. Earthroamer F-550 with a 335 series MPT and lots of backspacing.

Edit: You could just build one of these:

From Branik: We machine the yoke of any Dana 60 style axle shaft to Allow 50 degree steering!!! USED WITHOUT FAILURE BY TOP COMPETITORS LIKE JESSE HAINES, DEREK WEST, etc.

IMG_0362.JPG

EDIT 2: I have seen 55* and even 60* turning angles on comp buggies, but you are really talking serious $$ and engineering to be able to do that. A 1550 joint will do 50-55* and I think a 1610 will do 55-60* with some machining.

Last edited:

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
^^ The 85" WMS is a deal killer for vans and standard pickups. That is why the 450 and 550 trucks all have HUGE front fender flares and run a dished/dually wheel in the front. A "super single" conversion, would require even larger fenders, i.e. Earthroamer F-550 with a 335 series MPT and lots of backspacing.

Edit: You could just build one of these:

From Branik: We machine the yoke of any Dana 60 style axle shaft to Allow 50 degree steering!!! USED WITHOUT FAILURE BY TOP COMPETITORS LIKE JESSE HAINES, DEREK WEST, etc.

IMG_0362.JPG

EDIT 2: I have seen 55* and even 60* turning angles on comp buggies, but you are really talking serious $$ and engineering to be able to do that. A 1550 joint will do 50-55* and I think a 1610 will do 55-60* with some machining.

I thought about RCVs (though mostly for smoothness honestly) but the problem is contacting the leaf springs I think. Definitely is on the f series. Sure you could space the wheels out but as you increase the scrub radius, you start rubbing fenders and stuff.

DzlToy

Explorer
RCV's will turn to 45 degrees. Installation instructions recommend limiting that to 42-43 degrees via steering stop. You could do the same to eliminate contact with the leaf spring, thereby creating the most turning angle you can achieve with those joints and your wheel/tire and spring setup.

MG has all kinds of cool ideas, I think we need to see a van with 42* of steering and RCV's in a Ford 60. :D

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Don't see why it would be a deal killer. An F-450 with a super 60 is no different than an F-350 with the super 60. And body wise the only real difference between them and a standard pickup/F-250 is a fender flare about 3". I wouldn't call it "huge". On the pickup it just gave a much more aggressive stance. The axle is 3" wider per side, and as mentioned it isn't the ujoints that are the issue, it is tires hitting springs. My guess is you could pull the dually adapters, single it, and still be wider than the standard D60, but not sure about that. I'm assuming the extra width was in the axle itself and not the adapters.

Of course the hardest thing might be finding one, and then coughing up the coin it likely demands.

And I'm sure there would be some body massaging required and other considerations but hell, doing the crap we're doing, what's a bit more. :)

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Let's do a parking lot test!
You know I'm in. And we'll do it better than Car & Driver or Road & Track.

And all this steering talk has me jones'n for MG to mod mine(after our UJOR vs MGM tests) to allow for even tighter radius. In 4wd on tighter trails, I could really use more help as the big beast often doesn't want to turn too sharply in my experience.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
You know I'm in. And we'll do it better than Car & Driver or Road & Track.

And all this steering talk has me jones'n for MG to mod mine(after our UJOR vs MGM tests) to allow for even tighter radius. In 4wd on tighter trails, I could really use more help as the big beast often doesn't want to turn too sharply in my experience.

Steering limits are determined by 2 things on your setup. One is tire to spring contact, the other is pitman arm length. I've tested a stock van vs our 6" swap with RSC upgrade and there was a 1' loss. Been a few years since I did it, would be fun to try again.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Steering limits are determined by 2 things on your setup. One is tire to spring contact, the other is pitman arm length. I've tested a stock van vs our 6" swap with RSC upgrade and there was a 1' loss. Been a few years since I did it, would be fun to try again.

Well I get minor spring contact up front yes.
MG found my pitman arm interesting.
We'll test for ya Chris!
--West Coast UJOR-- :chef: :coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3