MG Metalworks Van Build

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The boxes are good. Keep in mind they were made for 65 series so fitting anything bigger might cause issues.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Pictorial update... I'm going light on details lately because I'm drawing so close to the end that I want to spend more time with wrenches than with the keyboard.

Frame is almost all buttoned up. Exhaust welded and installed, heat shields almost all trimmed and mounted. The body will be dropped very soon for radiator and intercooler mounting plus all the plumbing.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
If you billed your hours at $85/hr (or whatever shop rate you think appropriate, but please specify), do you know how much this vehicle would cost, parts and labor and base vehicle?

Starting with a clean 2009+ E-series, the drivetrain swap*, complete custom interior** and pop top, it could be done for about the price of a loaded Sportsmobile. One could easily go over $150k if you got crazy with accessories but you can have quite a van for this kind of money and, in my opinion, have something of much better quality. I don't use cheap parts or materials in my builds and everything is engineered specifically for the application, not just store bought parts pieced together.

*Drivetrain defined as a low miles take out 4th gen 6.7L Cummins with CM2350B controls, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed auto (Allison 6-speed auto would be slightly more expensive) or G56 6-speed manual, plus NV271 or NV273 tcase.

**Interior costs are variable based on layout and options but I will be offering some killer layouts and modular designs soon so I think most people will be happy with some of my "standard" designs.

Petrolburner

Explorer
If you billed your hours at $85/hr (or whatever shop rate you think appropriate, but please specify), do you know how much this vehicle would cost, parts and labor and base vehicle?

If I were MG it would make me shudder to think of that number. He can justify some of the time as R&D towards future sales however, unlike most of us.

packmule

Observer
Eye candy. So clean. I can't wait to see the final product on the road.

I know you have Sienna seats and lots of other custom interior touches already. Is your pop-top going to finish off the interior mods?

Petrolburner

Explorer
The boxes are good. Keep in mind they were made for 65 series so fitting anything bigger might cause issues.

What batteries did you go with MG? I just ordered one of those battery boxes off eBay from the same seller. Bought a rusted one at a big discount. Quick sandblast and paint job was probably in the works anyway. I only bought one because I think the automatic electric step that I have would interfere. I'm not at home to be able to look, so just one to start with.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
What batteries did you go with MG? I just ordered one of those battery boxes off eBay from the same seller. Bought a rusted one at a big discount. Quick sandblast and paint job was probably in the works anyway. I only bought one because I think the automatic electric step that I have would interfere. I'm not at home to be able to look, so just one to start with.

1750.jpg

Odyssey Group 65 PC1750 fits perfectly in the factory battery boxes.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Eye candy. So clean. I can't wait to see the final product on the road.

I know you have Sienna seats and lots of other custom interior touches already. Is your pop-top going to finish off the interior mods?

What you've seen so far plus the pop-top are just the beginning. Losing my day job forced me to go from part-time side income to full-on business so I'm not holding anything back now. This van world can use some innovation and an updating of design elements so I'm going to do just that. Functional, light weight, innovative interior designs that will last for decades of off-road abuse. That's where I'm going...just starting a little slow because my van is the development platform and I have to be careful with my finances. :)

mgmetalworks

Explorer
You gotta love a laser vendor who can take a drawing at closing time on Wed and have parts ready for you Fri morning! I whipped up a trans cooler mount design earlier in the week got it tacked together for a test fit. I like it. out of the way, safe from flying stuff, still leaves me room for other good stuff along the inside of the frame... I'll probably make a small shield around the CV joint to keep it from flinging grease into the fins.

Sealed relay (gets power from repurposed wires in factory harness) kicks on pusher fan when temp switch hits a set temp. Waiting on one fitting and then I can make lines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater