MG Metalworks Van Build

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Ok...This is like the 5th time I've been through these harnesses but today is a milestone. I have the engine, trans and transfer case wiring harnesses integrated into one clean group of wires. Three connectors will tie into the main chassis harness (the one under the hood with the battery junction box).

About 20 wires in one connector to terminate, 6 in another and 12 in the final one and I'll be ready to power up circuits! Once I verify all the connections, I'll wrap it up nice and add in some clips and tie down points.

ricardo

Observer
I just spent the last hour or two reading this from the beginning, and all I can say is, "Not bad." Actually, you're freaking amazing! Congratulations on how far your project has gotten so far. Add me to the band-wagon of fans you have, because I am subscribing for updates!

Agree, very classy, bulletproof & practical but elegant solutions to every challenge..

DzlToy

Explorer
MG, I know you are a super picky guy, but for those who may not know, PLEASE, do not use masking tape or electrical (vinyl) tape when building or repairing a wiring loom or harness.

DEI makes a silicon rubber loom tape, athletic tape or wrap can also be used, as it sticks to itselft but not to the wire. Non-adhesive "tapes" specifically for looms can also be purchased from motorsport and automotive supply houses. Please avoid asking the local "guru" at your friendly neighbourhood VatoZone or the like, they will likely be clueless.

Nomex Lacing tape can also be used to secure sections of the loom before wrapping with heat shrink or snakeskin (expandable braided sleeving).

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
MG, I know you are a super picky guy, but for those who may not know, PLEASE, do not use masking tape or electrical (vinyl) tape when building or repairing a wiring loom or harness.

DEI makes a silicon rubber loom tape, athletic tape or wrap can also be used, as it sticks to itselft but not to the wire. Non-adhesive "tapes" specifically for looms can also be purchased from motorsport and automotive supply houses. Please avoid asking the local "guru" at your friendly neighbourhood VatoZone or the like, they will likely be clueless.

Nomex Lacing tape can also be used to secure sections of the loom before wrapping with heat shrink or snakeskin (expandable braided sleeving).

3M make the same tape, usually cheaper. It the best option for fixing the common 6.0 engine harness rubbing issues. Its also great for temporary fixing radiator & turbo hoses. But it looks like MG is simply using electrical tape for marking and temporary holding.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I'm using some electrical tape as a temporary wrap and to keep the legs of the harness in the right spot. If you don't keep things in place with something, it quickly becomes a rat's nest as big as a beach ball. Most of the finished harness will be covered in loom like the it was from the factory. There are a few spots I'll have to wrap it with heat shielding. I take off the vinyl tape as I go when I finish sections.

Vandit

Observer
Getting closer to the finish line all the time! And congrats by the way for achieving 100 pages of awesome-ness on your thread! A true treasure trove for the rest of us. Looking forward to the next 100......

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Getting closer to the finish line all the time! And congrats by the way for achieving 100 pages of awesome-ness on your thread! A true treasure trove for the rest of us. Looking forward to the next 100......

Oh wow! I totally missed that! 100 pages! WOO HOO!!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Electric tape gets really messy and unravels over time. I used 'Magic Wrap' now sold at home depot when I rewired my Fj40 for a SBC back in 1996 and It's still in great shape 20+ years later.

3M has splicing tape that's rated to 600v which is a nicer product... but I've had it split when I wrapped it too tight and it was heated.

Both products bond permanently to themselves and aren't sticky.

You mean a rats nest like I got going on right now? Your harness looks nicer right now. Plus it does cooler stuff than this one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    552.6 KB · Views: 104

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Out with the old Dana 60 limited slip (well, not really old...it's only 3 years old with 23k miles)

In with the new Sterling 10.5...

Freshly rebuilt by Ujoint, ARB air locker, 4.10s, welded axle tubes...

Been making a ton of progress on all the little things on the list. I may have the body down for good by end of this week and then attempt to start the engine sometime next week. Nothing in this final stretch has been easy. I've had to re-route some A/C lines, relocate the ABS module because the intercooler tube wants to be in that same space, re-make brake lines, etc..., etc... I've got most of that sorted out so with the body down I can quickly make some intercooler tubes, an intake tube and air cleaner box, fit the radiator up against the shroud, then trim the body so the massive intercooler can fit up close to the radiator. It's 10lbs of $**t in a 5lbs bag for sure. No show stoppers though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater