MG Metalworks Van Build

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Are you still running stabilitrac?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stabilitrac?! This ain't no Chevy van!! :)

What you mean is Advancetrac/RSC... and no, I've stripped the van of those nanny components. I've got the basic bottom option level van ABS going in now. No traction control, no roll stability control...just enough ABS to keep the front tires from locking up.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Sorry one to many Languitas IPA's! Lol very awesome. Now you can drive it with out a computer telling you better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Circuit test #1 successful. Got the bare bones circuits powered up and tested. Starter relay and fuel pump are now live in the fuse panel. Just a few connections to go before I try to crank it over. I have the ECM mounted and ready for prime time but my many hours of bench tuning with nothing hooked up has created a pile of DTCs that need to be cleared out. Have to have everything plugged in before I can clear the codes and see what surprises I'm left with, if any. Sooooooo close!

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
Oh man, that's exciting! I figured you were hard at work making everything work together since this thread was quiet for a minute. Your work is so thorough, I wouldn't be surprised if it started first try. If not and starts 2nd try, at least we'll know you're (somewhat) human. I'll put my 20 pesos on 1st try though!

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I wasn't attempting to actually start the engine today but the goal was to hit the starter switch to see if it would crank. It did crank over. This is somewhat exciting for me because it proved a bunch of assumptions I had about the Chrysler wiring scheme to be correct but I could never find a definitive answer on beforehand....so that's good. The second thing is that I don't have any new DTCs as a result of cranking it over so what I've done to this point is proving to be correct. I do however have some DTCs that won't clear and I believe them to be related to the...um..."relocated emissions devices"... It's a short list of faults, should be able to clear them after a phone call to the tuner.

I'm certain I was too juiced to have the hook ups right but the fuel pump circuit was having a low voltage situation. Low as in zero. Most likely due to my quick and dirty wiring on my spare Battery Junction Box. Something to track down tomorrow along with setting up two different data buses to capture data during cranking.

I'm not calling it a complete victory yet but we're close. :cool:

Brett H

I'm assuming you'll have somebody standing by taking video when you do try to start it up... Don't deny those of us that have been checking this thread religiously that pleasure. :lurk:

derjack

Adventurer
Out with the old Dana 60 limited slip (well, not really old...it's only 3 years old with 23k miles)

In with the new Sterling 10.5...

Freshly rebuilt by Ujoint, ARB air locker, 4.10s, welded axle tubes...

Been making a ton of progress on all the little things on the list. I may have the body down for good by end of this week and then attempt to start the engine sometime next week. Nothing in this final stretch has been easy. I've had to re-route some A/C lines, relocate the ABS module because the intercooler tube wants to be in that same space, re-make brake lines, etc..., etc... I've got most of that sorted out so with the body down I can quickly make some intercooler tubes, an intake tube and air cleaner box, fit the radiator up against the shroud, then trim the body so the massive intercooler can fit up close to the radiator. It's 10lbs of $**t in a 5lbs bag for sure. No show stoppers though!

What Kind of Tank is that in the rear? You have an extended bed? Or regular?
Most Tanks are like Quigleys or ujoints at the drivers side inside the frame. I am looking for something that must look like stock in addition to my (too small) stock Quigley one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues