Moab or Bust, 1987 4Runner Low Budget Build

Freebirds

Observer
More progress:

image_zps0aa6aba8.jpeg

I picked up the rear glass and a couple of misc. bolts I was missing from a junk yard for a grand total of $33. It was a little difficult pulling the glass without power and the right tools. I eventually had to bend the electric motor until the gears no longer meshed. After that, pulling the glass was pretty easy.
The hardest part of the day was removing the old stripes from the body. Since the front fenders and hood are already trashed, I decided not to waste my time removing those stickers. I'll eventually replace them, so I just painted over the decals.

812618_10100814928099543_370517279_o_zps396bdb41.jpg

The paint was pretty thick because it was cold from being outside overnight. This resulted in more drips and a rougher finish than I would have liked, but it's fine for now. I used a couple cans of gloss black Rustoleum and an extra smooth foam roller. I've done this before on another project and the paint came out much smoother, but it was also 90 degrees.

280250_1442459838480_3849726_o_zps4d6dddad.jpg

I'll try to get a couple of small things done this week in between classes. Next week is spring break, so expect to see a ton of updates. I'm planning to change the timing chain, oil pump, valve cover gaskets, brakes, hubs, and vacuum lines. I'd also like to build a set of bumpers, a sleeping platform, and a rack for the canoe. It's going to be a busy week!

I'll try to take more pictures in the future. I've been getting caught up in working and then I completely forget.

Current Cost:
Vehicle Purchase Price: $450
Clutch Hydraulics: $38
Rear Glass: $33
Seat Covers: $40
Paint and supplies: $30
Total: $591

Freebirds

Observer
The budget-build potential of 1st Gen 4Runners is what attracted me to them. No other 4x4 offers EFI, room for four plus gear and the ability to go topless for under $3k.

I totally agree. This is my first experience with a Toyota and I'm quickly learning why they have a cult following.

xjaugie

Adventurer
Love the build, low cost with the full intent of using to go and play. Costly totally rigged out Expo rigs are cool, but more impoatant to use what you got to get out there. I'll be following the build. Good luck.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I love low budget builds! Looks good!

22re engine, I'm assuming?

I'm surprised you got a new window glass for the back - I was going to suggest going to a shop that makes Jeep tops and having them fabricate a vinyl window for you. But if you've got a window glass and the motor works on the tailgate, I guess you've got it worked out.

blakeape

Adventurer
As a fellow Toyota fan having wheeled there on everything from open diff's, ifs and 32's to fully locked 1ton axles, dual cases and 42's I would recommend dropping a few $$$ on a rear locker. Maybe and Aussie, Spartan or Lockrite. I couldn't believe the difference once I originally locked the rear. Nice rig, strong work and have a blast, Moab it awesome!

Freebirds

Observer
It's been a busy week at school, but I managed to get a few things done. My first task was getting the 4runner through emissions. I was a little worried because the vacuum lines are cracked in some places and I haven't checked the catalytic converter or tuned the 4runner. All I did was I change the oil, bought a new air filter, and added some fresh gas, and here are the results:

IMG_20130320_184852_zps698f4924.jpg

IT PASSED! First time and with very little effort! I feel very fortunate that this project has gone so smooth. I've had some projects in the past that were absolute nightmares, like my old Mazda rotary powered FIAT Spider…..

Next I decided to replace the panel on the tailgate. The original panel was warped and nasty because the rear window was missing for a couple years. I traced the shape onto some old plastic paneling my dad had left over from a kitchen/bathroom project. Cut it out, drilled the holes and mounted it up:

IMG_20130316_180451_zps149773a6.jpg

I'm not sure how durable it's going to be, but it was free and easy to work with.

My next project was finding a replacement for the front turn signals. The turn signals and the front bumper were both banged up from the previous owner's fender benders. I shopped around for a cheap replacement, but didn't find much. I eventually decided to modify the corner lights so that they would be running lights and turn signals. I could have done a cleaner job, but I just wanted to see if it would work.

I began by drilling a large hole below the opening for the original running light. I then cut down the broken turn signal so that the only thing left was the socket and a flange. I secured the socket to the back of the corner light with a couple small sheet metal screws.

IMG_20130316_165946_zpsfba70464.jpg

There wasn't enough room behind the light, because the header panel extends out behind the light. I quickly made a cut near the top and bottom, and then bent the sheet metal out of the way.

IMG_20130316_162754_zps25217897.jpg

When it's all mounted up it looks clean and stock. The best part is, it was free!

Old Total $591
Oil Change $20
Air Filter $11
Plastic Panel FREE
Turn Signals FREE
Total $622

Freebirds

Observer
I love low budget builds! Looks good!

22re engine, I'm assuming?

I'm surprised you got a new window glass for the back - I was going to suggest going to a shop that makes Jeep tops and having them fabricate a vinyl window for you. But if you've got a window glass and the motor works on the tailgate, I guess you've got it worked out.

Yep, stock 22re. I hear they're durable engines, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have any issues.

Nice. I had better not let my wife see this thread. She will flip about how much I've put into my '85.

Just got front and rear ARBs and 4.88 gears put in.

Good luck with the build!
When do you plan on hitting Moab?

Freebirds

Observer
As a fellow Toyota fan having wheeled there on everything from open diff's, ifs and 32's to fully locked 1ton axles, dual cases and 42's I would recommend dropping a few $$$ on a rear locker. Maybe and Aussie, Spartan or Lockrite. I couldn't believe the difference once I originally locked the rear. Nice rig, strong work and have a blast, Moab it awesome!

I agree, a locker makes a HUGE difference. I installed an Aussie in a Wagoneer I used to have and I loved it. I may have enough money after I take care of the basics, but it's going to be close.

Freebirds

Observer
Nice. I had better not let my wife see this thread. She will flip about how much I've put into my '85.

Just got front and rear ARBs and 4.88 gears put in.

Good luck with the build!
When do you plan on hitting Moab?

If I had the money I would definitely go that route. I'm hoping to hang on to the vehicle until after I graduate and find a decent job. Then I'll be right there with you =)

If I had the money I would definitely go that route. I'm hoping to hang on to the vehicle until after I graduate and find a decent job. Then I'll be right there with you =)

Yep, I've had mine for going on 3 years and over doubled the amount of $ I earn, so I can finally play hard. :)

You will get there. Put in hard work and keep motivated! Good luck to you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism