Moab or Bust, 1987 4Runner Low Budget Build

austintaco

Explorer
One of the many good qualities about a 1st 4runner is that I think their design is timeless. It's getting to be a classic, but still looks good next to a new SUV. Hang on to it. Do one major upgrade to it every year. They don't need much, so in 5 years time you will have a fully capable and dependable vehicle that can go anywhere. It's not going to lose value either since they have already bottomed out.
Also, if you take your time, you can scout out deals on here and ttora.com, yotatech, craigslist, etc.. for parts for later upgrades. Snatch them up cheap and let that dictate your next move.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Ha--as soon as I read you were looking to remedy the front turn signals, I was going to recommend the corner light turn signal mod. Then I kept reading. I did that mod as well and really like it. I think it makes at least Toyota people double-take as they see the corner lens flashing at an intersection.

Freebirds

Observer
Quick Update:
The recent snow slowed my progress down a bit, but I still managed to get a few things done. There was an upside to all the snow. It allowed me to thoroughly test the transfer-case and hubs. The transfer case shifted great and ran smooth. The hubs locked in like they were supposed to, but they refused to unlock. I tried backing up for long distances, backing up and pulling forward multiple times, jacking the wheel up and rotating it back and forth, but nothing worked. I eventually had to disassemble the hubs and unlock them by hand. On the plus side, I’m now great at quickly removing the hubs! So, manual hubs have become a main priority before our trip. Unfortunately the Toyota yards want $75-$100 for a pair of used Aisin hubs. You can pick up a whole axle for that much at the regular junkyards. I’m going to scour the local yards and if all else fails I’ll buy the $75 set.

Removing the hubs:
IMAG0134_zpsbbbfe6db.jpg

The two front end collisions left the bumper brackets mangled and partially torn off. I removed the damaged stock mounts and built new mounts using a few pieces of scrap metal. I still need to add gussets, but the new mounts are substantially stronger than before. The ¼” L brackets are going to be used to mount my Dad’s old TJ bumper. Surprisingly it’s almost the perfect size! It should also provide decent protection since it protrudes a bit more than the stock bumper and it’s free!

Here are the new bumper mounts and brackets:
IMAG0135_zps5d2794f2.jpg

IMAG0137_zpsa9075c48.jpg

I also received my timing chain kit, oil pump, and valve cover gasket set from engnbldr.

IMG_20130326_204122_zps134fdf05.jpg

Hopefully the disassembly and installation goes smoothly. I’m going to hit the junkyards tomorrow morning and then start digging into the engine.

Last edited:

Freebirds

Observer
I'm not sure why they wouldn't release. They were both packed full of red disc bearing grease. They may need to be thoroughly cleaned and properly lubed. Is there a component on them that usually causes problems?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The recent snow slowed my progress down a bit,

Yeah, it was quite a little storm, wasn't it? I had hoped to work on the Teardrop but no luck. But we need the moisture, so I'm not complaining!

¼” L brackets are going to be used to mount my Dad’s old TJ bumper. Surprisingly it’s almost the perfect size! It should also provide decent protection since it protrudes a bit more than the stock bumper and it’s free!

:sombrero: A man after my own heart!

I'm loving the low-budget build. Just goes to show you don't need a ton of cash to have a decent off road vehicle (of course, it helps to have both skills and a place to work on the vehicle.)

Even though I make a decent living I have a hard time paying extra $$ to replace something that isn't broken. Probably just a habit I picked up after so many years as a college student. :p

zidaro

Explorer
I'm not sure why they wouldn't release. They were both packed full of red disc bearing grease. They may need to be thoroughly cleaned and properly lubed. Is there a component on them that usually causes problems?

Too much grease will bind them up. Dont pack the hubs, just well lubricate with a good coat of Sticky Red.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I think if you can afford the $75, just replacing them with manual hubs is the way to go. I had automatic hubs on my Montero (1990) and while they worked OK, I never really thought of them as being that useful. Manual hubs are simpler and there's never any question about whether they are locked or unlocked.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Juxtaposition...

BTW I love the fact that this thread and the Equipt 2013 4runner build are right next to each other. The Equipt guys are using the "money cannon" approach and you are doing the "low budget" build. Interesting contrast between the two.

BTW I love the fact that this thread and the Equipt 2013 4runner build are right next to each other. The Equipt guys are using the "money cannon" approach and you are doing the "low budget" build. Interesting contrast between the two.

Haha! I noticed that to! $20 seat covers versus probably 1-2k in new seats on the Equipt seats.

This is my kind of build! Keep it up!

I'm currently $600 from spending my first dollar on my FJ62... but that's a long and interesting story for my own build thread.

I didn't read every line, but if you get to the point where the steering gear box gives out on you, I replaced the one on my old 87 4runner with a gearbox from a 92 or 94 V6 2wd 4runner. The gearing is a lot different and gets you lock to lock with fewer turns of the steering wheel.

I think if you can afford the $75, just replacing them with manual hubs is the way to go. I had automatic hubs on my Montero (1990) and while they worked OK, I never really thought of them as being that useful. Manual hubs are simpler and there's never any question about whether they are locked or unlocked.

x2

And just make sure all the surfaces are coated with grease, not necessarily "packed".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism