More proof that Jeep is the leader in 4x4 overland vehicles

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Have a look at the design of the wrangler and compare it to all other offerings. The overall design make it the best for anything off road really. Probably the best approach and departure angles in any vehicle made. That alone makes it king. Sure some have better motors, or more space, but the jeep will go places others can't because of its design.
Sent from my SGH-T899M using Tapatalk

aluke0510

Adventurer
Have a look at the design of the wrangler and compare it to all other offerings. The overall design make it the best for anything off road really. Probably the best approach and departure angles in any vehicle made. That alone makes it king. Sure some have better motors, or more space, but the jeep will go places others can't because of its design.

Key requirements for a vehicle used in remote locations on abusive roads for extended duration.

The approach and departure angles are far less important. Yes they are important if you are talking about serious off road. A Jeep is a very good platform to build an aggressive off road vehicle. In the top 3 of vehicles made new today if that is your purpose. But that isn't extended remote travel. That is a fun weekend. You want to go back and forth across the Rubicon trail for a month straight?

kojackJKU

No. But I would take my jk anywhere for any length of time. Please tell me what makes another rig more capable in a long distance trip? My jeep jk unlimited is extremely comfortable, get ok gas mileage, can carry everything I need for any length of trip I plan on going on. Plus its better off road than any other vehicle built today. So, again, I would like to know the positives of what other vehicles you are talking about.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, looks like it just you and me kid :smiley_drive:

No. But I would take my jk anywhere for any length of time. Please tell me what makes another rig more capable in a long distance trip? My jeep jk unlimited is extremely comfortable, get ok gas mileage, can carry everything I need for any length of trip I plan on going on. Plus its better off road than any other vehicle built today. So, again, I would like to know the positives of what other vehicles you are talking about.

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

marcall

Observer
Key requirements for a vehicle used in remote locations on abusive roads for extended duration.

The approach and departure angles are far less important. Yes they are important if you are talking about serious off road. A Jeep is a very good platform to build an aggressive off road vehicle. In the top 3 of vehicles made new today if that is your purpose. But that isn't extended remote travel. That is a fun weekend. You want to go back and forth across the Rubicon trail for a month straight?

In this day and age "extended remote travel" is not so much the romantic vision it once was with the growing use of Satallite phones, etc. The video posted a few pages back on page 14 I think with the Merceds and the broken shocks in Australia was a good example..."fly some in for 20,000 dollars". If you got that money then you are not really "unsupported" and /or literally remote. Certainly that's not the case for most travel but I bet the majority does carry a satallite phone now.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader

Build quality and reliability. If I sat my land cruiser to a similar year jeep, it will be blatantly apparent which one is built better and heavier duty. The paper thin trailing arms on the tj are not known the world over as strong or robust, same goes with the sweet Dana 30, Dana 35 or the custom Dana 44 used on wranglers. Which is not the same as what was used in full size trucks. As far as the broken gwagen, wow shocks went out. That's it. The truck didn't fail. That was after 70 kilometers of nothin but washboard roads. How much do you think it would cost to air ship shocks. If they were driving a wrangler, good luck having chryco's support.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

kojackJKU

My jk unlimited is plenty strong. Only issues with the d30 is after you go over 35" tires, one thing that has to be changed right away is the ball joints. They are crap. Other than that, I have no issues with strength in any part of my jeep. If you are talking toy land crusier watch out for the cancer that seems to come standard with every Toyota product produced. Rust check was invented to try to slow Toyota cancer Down I think.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
My jk unlimited is plenty strong. Only issues with the d30 is after you go over 35" tires, one thing that has to be changed right away is the ball joints. They are crap. Other than that, I have no issues with strength in any part of my jeep. If you are talking toy land crusier watch out for the cancer that seems to come standard with every Toyota product produced. Rust check was invented to try to slow Toyota cancer Down I think.

Yea about the rust issues. Those frames were made in America by Dana. The Japanese frames have no issues. Toyota being the company it is replaced or bought the truck back. What American company would do that. Its funny, Chryco is such a failing company that Daimler spent money to get rid of it. In the last 7 years there has been what 3 owners? That's pretty sweet. Once again, jeep fanboys are failing to see the difference between driving you vehicle on third world roads all of its life versus, "well my truck is super reliable as it being driven on North American paved roads and I wheel it once a week. That proves it super bad ***." There is a gigantic difference between a jeep and everything else.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
And a quick google search pulled up lots of frame rust issues on wranglers
Ford frame rust issues
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/aut...400-000-cars-rusty-frames-faulty-seats-n73946

Mazda
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/04/18/mazda-tribute-suv-recall/7868317/

Only 160000 trucks out of what a couple million were recalled for tacoma. That's pretty good odds in my book.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I'm still sayung that my jeep is more capable than anything produced here in the US of A and there is no rust, other than a light coating on the driveshafts/knuckles-

I'm fortunate, I don't have to drive in Europe, or South America, so I'll just plug along here in the US of A and I have towed my trailer over the Rubicon and no I wouldn't wanna do it for a month solid---but I could !

You are blind about the qualities inherent in the TJ/JK/JKU jeeps and the environment we Americans have to put up with-:coffee:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I'm still sayung that my jeep is more capable than anything produced here in the US of A and there is no rust, other than a light coating on the driveshafts/knuckles-

I'm fortunate, I don't have to drive in Europe, or South America, so I'll just plug along here in the US of A and I have towed my trailer over the Rubicon and no I wouldn't wanna do it for a month solid---but I could !

You are blind about the qualities inherent in the TJ/JK/JKU jeeps and the environment we Americans have to put up with-:coffee:

Yep and the tacoma I had, had zero rust as well so I guess that's irrelevant :) and I really wish you guys would show me where a rubicon jk will go that an fj won't go. I've seen fjs on the moab and rubicon.

marcall

Observer
here's some of the type of abuse many Jeepers in America put their Jeeps through every now and then some go out every other weekend like this. It's no wonder axles snap sometimes, etc. Might not be two weeks on the trail but it's hard use.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, I've had Xterra owners ask me, where can your Rubi go that my X can't-

Yep and the tacoma I had, had zero rust as well so I guess that's irrelevant :) and I really wish you guys would show me where a rubicon jk will go that an fj won't go. I've seen fjs on the moab and rubicon.

It'll all in the situation and there've been a lotta tests on stockers that show the advantage of the STOCK RUBI !

Actually I kinda like the FJ40, you just have a hellofa time seeing whats behind you !

I used to thing my '06 Xterra Off-Road/w lockers was pretty unstoppable to--untill I drove my unmodified JKUR--

There's gold in them there hills bro--you just gotta know where to look !

A really good driver in a Volks dune buggy will go places most fancy 4x4s won't go--

You just plays em as you sees em !

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, I've had Xterra owners ask me, where can your Rubi go that my X can't-

It'll all in the situation and there've been a lotta tests on stockers that show the advantage of the STOCK RUBI !

Actually I kinda like the FJ40, you just have a hellofa time seeing whats behind you !

I used to thing my '06 Xterra Off-Road/w lockers was pretty unstoppable to--untill I drove my unmodified JKUR--

There's gold in them there hills bro--you just gotta know where to look !

A really good driver in a Volks dune buggy will go places most fancy 4x4s won't go--

You just plays em as you sees em !

So you didn't show me where it could go and an fj can't. Interesting. The you disapproved your own point by saying a dune buggy could go places a fancy 4x4 can. I have a Unimog that will carry your jk in the bed and go through the rubicon. :)

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: GOOD, I guess the main idea is that we should be happy with our toys--right

So you didn't show me where it could go and an fj can't. Interesting. The you disapproved your own point by saying a dune buggy could go places a fancy 4x4 can. I have a Unimog that will carry your jk in the bed and go through the rubicon. :)

If you're happy--I'm happy-There's one simple place my JKUR can go often, that your UNIMOG would never be able to go--

My garage !

Good day

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach