More proof that Jeep is the leader in 4x4 overland vehicles

marktutone

Adventurer
Man, have you any idea? I'm no fan of the newer Cruisers myself, but weak is the most inappropriate word you could possibly come up with to describe them. No friggin' way. They're the most overbuilt, durable vehicle on the road in the US by far.
Come on, you know that statement is untrue. The IFS parts break on this vehicle. In order to bullet proof the FJ you need to replace the entire IFS system or risk breaking down in the middle of the woods. The FJ is not overbuilt in any way at all. If you want to see overbuilt check out the ICON cruisers. Also the plastics on the FJ especially the side view mirrors look like they were purchased from Toys R Us. I consider the FJ Cruiser an extremely dangerous vehicle to drive on the road because of the many blind spots. The B is ridiculous.

jlandon

Get Dirty.
Come on, you know that statement is untrue. The IFS parts break on this vehicle. In order to bullet proof the FJ you need to replace the entire IFS system or risk breaking down in the middle of the woods. The FJ is not overbuilt in any way at all. If you want to see overbuilt check out the ICON cruisers. Also the plastics on the FJ especially the side view mirrors look like they were purchased from Toys R Us. I consider the FJ Cruiser an extremely dangerous vehicle to drive on the road because of the many blind spots. The B is ridiculous.

I don't think his statement was directed towards the FJC but the 200 series land cruiser. Way different. But the rest of your statement is null and void.

I think you need to come down a notch on your "Jeep is king" mentality. Ive driven them all and they all have their merits and weaknesses. If you drive like an idiot, they all break.

I've never had an issue with my IFS or anyone else's when I was guiding. I've had electronic issues in Disco1's, ECU issues in numerous JKs, and one JK that burned 3qts of oil a day for one trip. Smokey. I had an xterra that blew a head gasket.

I've had an alternater and starter go out on my Tacoma on trail. Never broke down in the woods. I had a spare starter and cleaned the alternater.

Last edited:

SpongeX

Rust does a body good.
Despite the name the FJC is not a land cruiser. Ifs isn't a detriment when overlanding and stock ifs systems are plenty robust for a majority of overland trips. If you find that's not the case you are the exception. Being "bullet proof" is a myth.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk

marktutone

Adventurer
I don't think his statement was directed towards the FJC but the 200 series land cruiser. Way different. But the rest of your statement is null and void.

I think you need to come down a notch on your "Jeep is king" mentality. Ive driven them all and they all have their merits and weaknesses. If you drive like an idiot, they all break.

I've never had an issue with my IFS or anyone else's when I was guiding. I've had electronic issues in Disco1's, ECU issues in numerous JKs, and one JK that burned 3qts of oil a day for one trip. Smokey. I had an xterra that blew a head gasket.

I've had an alternater and starter go out on my Tacoma on trail. Never broke down in the woods. I had a spare starter and cleaned the alternater.

I hear you. I would have to say that on the 200 series the IFS system is also weak. Actually it is not that jeep is king that I am defending it is the Toyota crowd who claim that their vehicles are so far superior to the jeep. Look at the main blogger for expedition portal. All you ever see are toyota's. The 4 runner has been featured many times. It is either land Rovers or Toyota's. I would like to advocate that there is an alternative called Jeep. For us people who live in the U.S. And cannot buy a new Defender 110 or a 70 series land cruiser the Jeep is a good option. Considering the price for any land rover or land cruiser the Jeep to me seems to be the better buy. I sometimes feel the overlanding crowd consider the Jeeps for red necks in cut off t-shirts and the toyota's and land rovers are for the civilized crowd.
As far as the IFS breaking down personally I have not seen a 200 series ifs break but I watch a few Australian 4x4 shows on the net and have seen at least 3 episodes of the front end breaking on the trail on a 200 series cruiser.

Viggen

Just here...

Icon Cruisers are not overbuilt. They are overhyped mall crawlers with a fancy spec sheet. Blind spots exist in all cars. I consider all cars to be extremely dangerous until I see the driver.

I hear you. I would have to say that on the 200 series the IFS system is also weak. Actually it is not that jeep is king that I am defending it is the Toyota crowd who claim that their vehicles are so far superior to the jeep. Look at the main blogger for expedition portal. All you ever see are toyota's. The 4 runner has been featured many times. It is either land Rovers or Toyota's. I would like to advocate that there is an alternative called Jeep. For us people who live in the U.S. And cannot buy a new Defender 110 or a 70 series land cruiser the Jeep is a good option. Considering the price for any land rover or land cruiser the Jeep to me seems to be the better buy. I sometimes feel the overlanding crowd consider the Jeeps for red necks in cut off t-shirts and the toyota's and land rovers are for the civilized crowd.
As far as the IFS breaking down personally I have not seen a 200 series ifs break but I watch a few Australian 4x4 shows on the net and have seen at least 3 episodes of the front end breaking on the trail on a 200 series cruiser.

What site are you speaking of, it cannot possibly be this one. This place is a Jeep haven. If you are talking about the trip they are doing right now, Toyota has the best dealership network so it is a no brainer to choose one of those for the trip. Also, I want to see proof of the IFS breaking. And for the three you show, I will show you broken solid front axle axles. After all, Rubicons D44 are D30s with a larger ring gear. Not "real" 44s. You can break a D60 just like everything else by hitting the pedal in the wrong situation.

Continue with your Jeep flag waving. It only goes to demonstrate how little you actually know.

RoyJ

Adventurer
So wait, you think new cruisers have complicated electronic components but in the same breath you think a brand new power wagon is overbuilt. How In the world does that make sense?

How does that not make sense?

Have you seen how much electronic features is loaded into late LCs? Just so you know, I'm not biased. An LR4 has just as much complexity as any LC.

As for the PW, again, have you looked underneath one lately? Look at the size of the new 50ksi frame members, the new front control arms, and the giant 11.5 rear axle. That's the same axle that allowed a 22,000+ lbs towing capacity, 6000+ lbs payload, all the while behind an 800lb-ft Cummins in the 2010 - 2012 HD Rams.

That's not remotely in the same class as any SUV, from a Defender to a Patrol. If you don't call that "overbuilt", I don't know what you're comparing to...

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
I know you asked him :) we found going to the inflatable ones really nice we got Nemo pads the only one more comfy was the exped mega mat 10 which was self inflating ! now exped has a inflatable version of the mega mat that I bet would be insane comfort !!!!!
there is a good thread in the camping section on mats worth searching out :)

Chad

I can tell You that I also have Exped Mega Mat 10. It is nice to sleep on. I have only used it for 4 day trip and we were only 2 people, he borrowed my small Exped Downmat Lite 5M and I had the Exped Mega mat 10. In our 3 people tent it was a tight fit with the exped downmat Lite 5M and the Exped Mega mat 10. The mega mat is hughe

In the bag folded the Megamat is maybe 3 times longer than the exped downmat Lite 5M and in total volume maybe 6 times as big. I would not take 2 Exped Mega mat 10 for a 2 day trip, will not even fit my tent.

marktutone

Adventurer
Icon Cruisers are not overbuilt. They are overhyped mall crawlers with a fancy spec sheet. Blind spots exist in all cars. I consider all cars to be extremely dangerous until I see the driver.

What site are you speaking of, it cannot possibly be this one. This place is a Jeep haven. If you are talking about the trip they are doing right now, Toyota has the best dealership network so it is a no brainer to choose one of those for the trip. Also, I want to see proof of the IFS breaking. And for the three you show, I will show you broken solid front axle axles. After all, Rubicons D44 are D30s with a larger ring gear. Not "real" 44s. You can break a D60 just like everything else by hitting the pedal in the wrong situation.

Continue with your Jeep flag waving. It only goes to demonstrate how little you actually know.

WOW, Icon FJ's are not over built! Mall Crawlers! This is a no win conversation.

Toyota-ICON-Land-Cruiser-FJ40-3.jpg
Toyota-ICON-Land-Cruiser-FJ40-4.jpg

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
I know it is OT, but it fun to try to extend my 10hour overlanding rating of a Wrangler Rubicon unlimited or other vehicle with new and smaller stuff to increase payload.

On top You have the Exped Mega Mat 10 in read, under is the Exped downmat Lite 5M. Multiply that with 5 if You are 5 people in bulk:)

156289262.jpg

In my Wrangler unlimited, very tight fit.

155162088.jpg

Exped Downmat Lite 5 Medium size

155162098.jpg

Intex 54"x75"8,75" airbed

155162087.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
yep D35 is infinitely stronger than IFS (of any mfg...)

This happened on a pot hole.
viewer.aspx

This thread has been entertaining though :) back at it guys!

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi

A tip, Please read Tom Sheppards books they are amazing and he have more than 40 years of expedition travel. In 2012 he bought a 2012 2 door Wrangler and he knows everything about every 4x4 vehicle out there. He have had several Landrovers, think Defender is to old? had Gelandewagen. 70 series Toyota do not sell in Europe. Why did he buy a Wrangler, maybe because he is probably alone, maybe did not have so much money??? but still I think it is a very good verdict for Wrangler that he bought a Wrangler as his expedition vehicle after all his knowing of 4x4 vehicle out there.

If You read his books You know what I mean

OJ-Tom-Sheppard-interview1-copy3.jpg

Article here http://www.loisontheloose.com/wordp...2/09/OJ-Tom-Sheppard-interview-small-file.pdf

163_0702_07z+mercedes_benz_g_wagen+rear_view.jpg

vehicledependentexpedition3.jpg

four-by-four-driving.jpg

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/163_0702_mercedes_benz_g_class/

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/34976-Tom-Sheppard-and-his-G-Wagen

http://www.desertwinds.co.uk/

marktutone

Adventurer
yep D35 is infinitely stronger than IFS (of any mfg...)

This happened on a pot hole.
viewer.aspx

This thread has been entertaining though :) back at it guys!

Well we can go on and on with this conversation and show example after example. One thing is clear. Nothing is bullet proof. There is no king of 4x4 vehicles. Most 4x4 vehicles will work for ovelanders.
You can build up any vehicle. To tell you the truth I am not a real overlander anyways. I am an adventure camper. I will never go on a big expedition across the world. My vehicle that I use for adventure is my daily commuter. I only make $85000 a year so I cannot afford any exotic vehicles or equipment. My current vehicle a 2000 Jeep TJ. I own a FZJ80 Cruiser and I have owned an Exterra and Pathfinder. At present my favorite vehicle so far is my Jeep.
rig.JPG

GetOutThere

Adventurer
I hate threads like this.

There is no perfect 4x4 or overland vehicle. That title is completely subjective.

If your vehicle is perfect for you, than it is perfect.

Everyone else can stuff their opinion of what would be better for *you*.

java

Expedition Leader
I hate threads like this.

There is no perfect 4x4 or overland vehicle. That title is completely subjective.

If your vehicle is perfect for you, than it is perfect.

Everyone else can stuff their opinion of what would be better for *you*.

EXACTLY! Nothing will fit everyone.

From Marktutone: "At present my favorite vehicle so far is my Jeep." Exactly its your favorite, it works for you. GREAT!

Not everyone will think its 'the best' overland vehicle. Form me its way too small, and the turning radius sucks. But I have no problem with people liking Jeeps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk