My 02 Avalanche NFE

I bet your loving that Fox shock setup, I'm drooling over here! I've got the 2.0 on mine and have been very happy. I'm wanting to add DSC adjusters or possible upgrade to 2.5 for adjustability... Either way, you got a great friend there.

And like everyone else I'm not seeing pics. Really looking forward to seeing the rack setups and sliders!

rayra

Expedition Leader
just a photo test

Falconpasteltest.jpg

anybody see that? The flash popup failed in my Firefox desktop browser, I used the basic uploader which also seemed wonky, but I see an attachment / embedded file number and I see the Falcon picture in my post.
Just testing if it worked at all and if it worked inside Stryder's topic.

Stryder106

Explorer
Rayra - I can see it with IE. I usually - read that as always - use the Basic Uploader and pull from my hard drive. For whatever reason, it started giving me "Image Failed to Upload" messages - on every single image I've tried. I even tried to post one in a completely different and random topic - same error.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Maybe there's a file size limit. Recently changed cameras? maybe the unedited files are too big for the site uploader / restrictions.

I've been using Photobucket.com for a long time. The 97% of the time that it's working, it works great. Or better yet one of the mobile image apps that will allow direct handling of images, like flickr or Imgur or whatever the new hotness is.

Stryder106

Explorer
Fellas- pay attention to your rides and don't let anyone tell you your crazy when you notice something change. In early November, I had 4.88 gears installed front and rear along with an ARB locker in the rear. Then we did Mojave Rd in late November. Afterwards I started hearing a rotating noise that would change with wheel speed - it was very slight but I noticed it because something was different. I took it back to where the gears and locker were installed- they checked said all normal, no noise. Yet, I could hear it. Took it by two other friend's shops to have them drive it and listen to it - nothing. Both told me there is no noise and that I'm hearing things. I told them they were correct, I am hearing things - the problem is I'm hearing things that weren't there before.
//
The noise was not getting any louder and after having three different experts tell me I was imagining it, we did the Death Valley trip without issue - but I could still hear the noise - even though no one else could even when I would point it out. Well, we took a trip to the San Diego Zoo last weekend and on the way home, that noise decided to escalate in a big way - to the point where others in the car could hear it. And I knew instantly what it was - front wheel bearing. Ordered a new pair of Timken bearing/hubs from RockAuto.com (figured I'll change them both at once).
//
Moral of the story - no one knows your rig better than you.

boll_rig

Adventurer
All,

I installed the Hummer Eibach springs that Stryder noted above, on my 2002 Avalanche, and very happy so far. Only a few pavement tests on asphalt with lots of speed bumps, and a short jaunt down a local four wheel drive road, thus far.

I made some measurements on my existing Z71 springs and the Eibach, to perhaps help others, as we have had a similar discussion in other threads, involving aftermarket springs, and non-Z71 applications. These springs will certainly fit Suburbans of similar year. My stock Z71 springs with a fair amount of unknown use, probably towing by previous owners, measured out at 9 coils and 17" of length. I have been running them with 1" spacers, for the last year. The Eibach's are 11 coils, with an overall length of 18.5". The coils themselves are 0.725" thick, as compared to the 0.710" of my stock Z71's.

I picked up about an inch of lift in the back, over my Z71's with 1" spacer configuration. For anyone shopping Hummer springs, you will find a left and right part number, from Chevy. These springs were not marked, and each rear side ended up at within a 1/4" of the other, at 39" from the ground to bottom of fender, on 265-70-17's. With my front lift keys on my Av, I have 2 inches of rake, which I think is about perfect.

As to compression, my Stock springs and spacers were pretty much junk, with my body weight bouncing on the tailgate or trailer sagging and bouncing considerably. With these springs, my 190 pounds on the end of the tailgate corner, maybe 1/4" of deflection. But the ride is absolutely not harsh. I am new to coil springs, but they seem to be designed well. I do need new shocks, as the Rancho 9000's I put in last year are either junk, due to trailering with worn springs, or just too light for my Av. Pretty sure my ride will get even better, with a better shock.

I did the airbags in mine, and that part of the installation went well. I installed the air lift 1000 bags. My stock z71 springs were 4.75 inches in ID, while the Eibach Hummer's are 5.25. The bags seem to be working, but do not have any trailering on them, yet.

I do think these springs deserve consideration if you have an Av or Burb that needs a little help. And Stryder, if you are ever up in Northern NM way, dinner is one me.

Craig

Appreciate this review Craig, and Stryder for the idea in the first place.

Also have to second this point Stryder, never discredit your gut.

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Boll,

You are very welcome. We have a couple of different threads where the 2002ish springs for the AV and Suburban have been discussed. Figured Stryder's thread was the best place to add additional info.

I had my rig out last weekend on a combination of windy mountain road asphalt, 6 miles of gravel washboard, cattle guards and holes, and a few miles of real off road, and back again. So far, so good. I need to add new shocks before dropping a heavy trailer tongue on my ball, for the final thoughts, but no regrets, yet.

Craig

rayra

Expedition Leader
good catch on the wheel bearing issue, stryder. Another worry of mine as both vehicles sail thru 'high mileage' territory.

Stryder106

Explorer
Lets see if a console pic will work. I had mounted my Lowrance in the original console but was never really happy with how low it was - needed to be slightly higher. I also had mounted my switches in the knee bolster to my right - again not a big fan. 4WP had mounted the ARB compressor and Locker switches in the side of my console just next to my right knee - seriously not a fan. So, ended up ripping it out, purchased a replacement bolster on eBay, and fabbed a new forward console that raises the Lowrance, fits the new Ham, CB is in it, external speaker for the Ham (the one for the CB is in my dash), and relocated all of the switches to the new console. A little cop car-ish, but I like it. Looking to rip out the rest of the center console and fab something out of metal and a bit bigger for improved storage and use as a step up through the sunroof. Still need to redo the labels in clear with grey print.
//
Before:
IMG_1997.jpg
//
After:
IMG_1125.jpg
//
IMG_1145.jpg
//
IMG_1146.jpg

Stryder106

Explorer
We have the Napier tent that goes in the bed of my Avalanche. Great little tent for weekending, but wanted something more stout for longer durations. Decided to go for a RTT, which means an overbed rack. Tons of research and no one makes one for my Avalanche. So, I designed one with everything I wanted - RTT, enough height to be able to load on top of my caps if need be, a slide for my camp table, rotopax mounts, hi-lift mount, shovel/axe mounts. My buddy and I fabbed it up -and here's how it came out:
//
IMG_1134.jpg
//
IMG_1136.jpg
//
IMG_1139.jpg

Stryder106

Explorer
Given the longer wheelbase I wanted some rocker protection. No one makes an actual slider for the Avalanche and the ones I've seen hang down too far for my taste. I wanted something as high and tight as I could get and have them welded in for strength. We fabbed these up:
//
IMG_1147.jpg
//

Stryder106

Explorer
Suspension was re-addressed given my new found habit of adding weight (roofrack, overbed rack, RTT, fridge, and more stuff for longer duration). As I've mentioned before my truck was the project truck for the Eibach Pro Truck Sport shocks - and those things are pretty dang awesome - zero complaints. But, with the added weight and knowing that we are now trying to stretch our legs over longer distances and durations, I needed something built more for that purpose. So, the decision was to add rear coil springs for a Hummer. These are bigger, stiffer, and progressive wound. These replace my stock coils (base) and Air Bags.
IMG_1096.jpg
//
Next - the shocks. We went with a very custom version of the Fox 2.0. Instead of the 5/8" shafts, mine have 7/8" shafts along with completely custom valving, and an oversized external reservoir to prevent shock fade with long distances over washboard. Previous posts already mentioned changing over to the Spohn Performance control arms and fabbed a new track bar.
//
IMG_1131.jpg
//
IMG_1144.jpg
//
We also strengthened the rearend by adding a truss over the top to help it with the increased load.
IMG_1143.jpg

Stryder106

Explorer
I will admit, I purchased the cheap Amazon Chinese light bars for both my roof and front bumper. The roof one absorbed moisture and died. The bumper one took a direct hit from a rock on the highway (!!!) and broke the lens - it still worked but the crack scattered the light to everywhere but in front of me. I got a smoking deal on some new ARB Intensity lights on here from HappyKamper. they were both spot beams so I swapped one out for a flood beam so I could run one of each and have both distance and width.
//
IMG_1097.jpg
//
Of course, these new lights are totally different config from my light bar - these are 7" diameter (ARB21) so I had to reconfigure my front bumper. This time, we gave it a bit more rake so that if I do hit a bigger animal while driving, it will drive it down under the truck rather than into my windshield (that's the theory anyway - hopefully I never have to prove it). It is also much bigger with full coverage all the way out to the ends of the bumper.
//
IMG_1129.jpg

Stryder106

Explorer
I don't know why the pics of my roof rack won't post, but we added scene lights to the sides and rear for camping and 2 15" LED spot bars facing forward to provide higher light when in OHV areas.
IMG_1148.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater