My 02 Avalanche NFE

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Stryder,

That is most generous. But I have two new ones installed, now. Pretty confident that the jb weld will hold on my new right one. Maybe save it for the next AV owner who stops to drool over your rig. Pretty sure you will have more than a few.

Craig

Stryder106

Explorer
Any of you guys interested in a smokin' deal on a Smittybilt Defender Roof Rack ? I took it off my Av and built the one that's on there now. You get first dibs if interested, PM me.

Stryder106

Explorer
Update time - I've been really busy gathering gear for the next round of mods. I just installed some Air Cargo L-Track on top of one of my caps for storage - will be doing the other 2 caps, but had to get to the new ARB fridge as well. I'm not sure yet what I will carry up there - but just want the option to use this area if I want/need to. I purchased a 100" piece of L-Track, the end caps to give it a finished look, the load rings, and used 1/4" #10-24 1-1/2" screws with Nylock nuts and fender washers underneath. Also used clear silicone in the drill holes and on the mount side of the washers. The 100" piece was cut to have 4 mounting holes per piece (6 pieces total) with all being equal length at 15-7/8".
IMG_1254.jpg
Placement on the caps will vary per cap. For the forward cap - I wanted them as wide as I could get them - but you have to be aware of the locking latch mechanisms. This is as wide was they will go - 4-3/4" from the edge of the cap to the outer edge of the track.
IMG_1255.jpg
Cutting everything the same length makes it easy to center them front to back on the caps. Plus - I can access them through my sail panel.
IMG_1256.jpg
They ended up right in line with the equipment rails on my RTT rack. Being forward - my Rotopax end right before the tracks begin.
IMG_1257.jpg
When I do the other two caps - the tracks will need to be inboard of the equipment rails in order to access them. I am using Wolf Packs in varying configs to test fit before I decide how to mount the tracks. I'm also considering mounting the driver side one more inboard in order to mount another dual Rotopax plate on the inside of the equipment rack to be able to carry up to 8 Rotopax.
//
Anyway - it's coming together.

Stryder106

Explorer
Update number 2 - the ARB Fridge/Freezer install. I purchased the ARB 63L fridge/freezer, Transit bag to keep it insulated and protected, the ARB transit bag, the ARB tie down kit, the ARB heavy duty wiring harness, and the ARB screw in connector so the cord doesn't inadvertently vibrate loose and spoil the food while out remote.
//
The reason for the 63L vs the 50L purely came down to height. The 50L while smaller, is actually taller - 3" taller than the 63L (the 63L is longer and wider). Again, have to consider the cap locking latches as they hang lower than the caps themselves. When test fitting the 63L, something I hadn't accounted for was the internal rain gutters on each side of the Avalanche. While the 63L cleared it height-wise, when I slid it out to open the lid - the lid hit the end cap of the gutter not allowing sufficient access to the fridge. Two possible solutions: 1) Change the mounting location toward the center of the bed by 4" (thus wasting the space on the outboard side of the fridge, or: 2) Remove the gutter rail and cap.
//
Given that my Avalanche has NEVER had water ingress the truck bed, and that about 5 years ago I duct taped both of those gutter rails as they were split, combined with the one that needed to be removed - this taped side was hanging DOWN thus not acting like a gutter. If my grates were working properly - water should poor off that rail and into my bed. As it is I think my grates may be plugged thus not allowing water into my bed - fine by me. Off goes the gutter rail.
//
First thing to tackle was removing the gutter rail and cap. It's all clips - took about 30 seconds. Not picture worthy.
//
Next up was the slider. The Avalanche has a seriously grippy rubber bed mat that I did not want to remove as it keeps everything from moving around. To mount the slider, I used: 4 Grade 8 5/16" course thread bolts (2")(Note - 1.5" will work for 3 of the 4 - but one of them needed every bit of the 2" to get the thread started), Grade 8 washers (1 each on the slider side), 8 Fender washers (double stack on each bolt from underneath), 5/16" Nylock nuts, Clear Silicone to seal it all up).
IMG_1245.jpg
I cannot stress enough how important it is to check the final location by the tailgate. I did a lot of putting the fridge in, closing the tail gate, looking down to figure out spacing, testing the slide, opening the fridge lid to see how far back or forward the slide could be. Ultimately, it is the slide release latch that sticks out the furthest. So, my final mounting location was as far to the outside as I could go staying flat, and as close to the tailgate as I could get. Final position, there is about 1/16" of an inch between the slide release latch and my tailgate when closed.
//
To accomplish this position in the Avalanche, a few things had to be done. The rearmost bolts will face downward into a channel under the bed. The outermost one is accessable thanks to an opening in the channel but you need a long wobbler extension. I also used mechanical fingers to place and hold the two washers on the threads while I used the socket and extension to get the nylock started. For the rearmost inboard bolt - the channel bottom is solid. I ended up using a cutoff wheel to create a 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" square opening so I could access everything. For the forward bolts - do NOT use the ARB predrilled holes as they will go into another channel near the shock towers. I moved and drilled two new holes 1-1/2" more towards the rear of the truck. This change brought the bolts into an easily accessible are to tighten them up.
IMG_1246.jpg
Install the tie down latches - note - threading instructions - do NOT follow the instruction on the ARB packaging - it's backwards. Use the picture on the ARB packaging -it shows it correctly. It will take you about 5 seconds to figure that out once you do it, then about 30 seconds to correct it.
//
For the wiring, I have a dual battery setup so went directly to that, threaded the wire harness down and ziptied it using openings in the frame rail. I kept it to the outside away from the exhaust. The Avalanche bed has drains in it that have a flap - I didn't want that flap held open to let dust in - so rather than run the wire through that, I drilled a hole in the hard plastic side of it and ran it through there. Once I got the length right and took out the slack, I silicone that hole to seal it up. The picture is how open that flap was when I rant the wire through the drain opening.
IMG_1247.jpg
The ARB screw in connector is a pretty neat little deal. Iis a box that you run the wires into and it has two male blade connectors inside and shockproof boots. The way it works is the cigarette lighter plug in disconnects from the chord and has two female blade slots. You hard wire the harness to the box, then push the chord onto the mail blades, then it has a locking ring that threads into the box so it will not vibrate loose. When not using the box, it has a dust/water proof cap that pushes into and seals the opening.
//
The Avalanche bed walls have some recessed areas, once of which is PERFECT for this. I ran the wires - and again had to do a mod. ARB box is designed to bring the wires in from the backside, but I didn't want to drill a hole in my storage side box. So, I mounted it facing downward, and brought the wires up - drilling a small hole on either side of the connector plug, splitting the wires, and pulling them through.
//
Not sure why - but suddenly I'm getting the "Image Failed to Upload" message again. Check the slide pics above and you can see the box I'm describing. Note - polarity matters. I ran mine wrong - and they are showing wrong on the pic. I didn't want to risk breaking the blades that I put on, so I simply unmounted the box, swapped the connections inside the box and remounted.

Stryder106

Explorer
Job done. Slide mounted, wires run, box installed, fridge placed, power connected, and tie downs locked in. When I hit the power button - NOTHING happened. Swapped it into the wall plug and it worked. Busted out the multimeter and had power coming out of the box - it was just the wrong polarity oops. As mentioned in the previous post - polarity matters. Disassemble, swap the wires, reinstall and reconnect. Hit the power button - voila - a functioning fridge in my Avalanche.
IMG_1253.jpg
The fridge had been sitting in the sun all day while I was working on the slide mount, etc - and when I turned it on the temp gauge read 94F inside. I set it for 5F. Within 7 minutes it was down to 63F when I turned it off. Impressive.
IMG_1249.jpg

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Stryder,

I think I am seeing the pictures just fine. Looks great.

My Arb 63 rides in the exact same location when travelling. I could almost see just installing the slider system in mine, and lifting the cooler out when not camping. As I carry tubs in mine when not camping, I could probably latch a tub to the slider, to not really lose any storage. But, it would wreck being able to use my bed tent, I think. Not a problem for you, though. I usually run a cot on that side in my bed tent, I might be able to straddle the slider system with the bed tent? Appreciate the steps and pic's, as it gives me something to ponder. Do you think that the slider system gives you enough air flow for the arb, on that wall of the bed? And is it a big deal to unlatch the arb from the slider, if one were to mostly use the slider as a transport location? I use the front tie down bar on my arb, and the lower bed tie down. With that and the very grippy mat like yours, mine never moves an inch. But then I have not done any high speed whoop de woos. I have two anderson plugs installed in my bed panel, between the two rear bed tie downs on that side, tied into my second vehicle battery. In case you are wondering, the 12v remote arb monitor that goes in a cig port in the cab will pick up the arb fridge signal just fine, back there.

It looks like with your rack system, none of the bed panels will remove? If so, maybe just silicon all of the joints, and be done with it? I too have a duct taped drip rail, and it has been working fine. But I apply a good grease to my rubber parts, each year. I will occasionally get a drip or three in winter, when I get a lot of snow and ice building up in the seams. I try and stay on that, so it does not happen.

Looks great, and you will really enjoy the arb. My neighbors have decided my arb is just perfect for backyard parties, and beer storage ;^)

Craig

Stryder106

Explorer
Hi Craig - I hope it gets enough airflow - it does have the vent on the bed side as well. The slider is actually elevated a bit so there is air under the fridge as well. I used some gorilla tape to seal up my bed drains as my biggest problem is not water getting out, but dust getting in. Trying to clean it up a bit inside so less dust when we stop to camp. Actually, my caps still remove just fine - I just have take my shovel off to get the last one out - no big deal. Do you know with the ARB 63 - power off, but still plugged in - is there any parasitic draw?
As for the slider and using it to hold a tote when the fridge isn't in it - genius!!!! I'll need to remember that. No, it will not work with the bed tent (I have the Napier tent as well). MAYBE you could straddle it, but you'd end up with the bottom of your tent -over the slider. Dang just remembered - now I have to sell my Av tent..................
//
I'll haveto look at the ARB 12V monitor - I hadn't seen that. Thanks
Bill

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Bill,

Your early pictures showed your framework mount on the ends, so I figured the panels still moved. It was hard to tell with the newer pic's. Very nice work there, to maintain that feature.

Yes, when I haul my fridge, I kinda worry about the airflow a little. not so much when I have it in the same location as yours, but more so when in the back seat. The airflow is one issue that will not cause a short term problem, but more long term stress I would think. My fridge needs to last a long time, for the price ;^) Having the additional under flow is nice.

I had never thought about the draw when off, as mine is never plugged in while off. I just went out and threw on my in line volt/amp meter, and was seeing a bounce between 0.01-0.02 amps when plugged in, and off. I'll have to remember that. Good call.

I do like the totes in back, for running around town. When I am getting ready to head out on a trip, sometimes Ii'll throw the fridge and a tote in the back when going to the store. I tell the check-out bagger to just toss stuff back in the cart, with no bags. I then haul everything out, and put the cold stuff in the fridge, non-perishable go in the tote. No need to haul stuff inside at home, then back out.

I have a older Lab/Dane mix big mutt who is my partner. He gets most of the back seat (folded down with a platform) when camping. Not quite ready to finalize all gear locations yet, as he takes up a lot of space, so no way to fix my fridge location, just yet. When he is gone, I'll probably look at the slider. He is also the reason I do not have a RTT. When I am bed tenting, I drop the mid-gate, and his bed goes in the back seat. I leave one of the rear doors ajar, and he can come and go as he pleases, during the night. He is almost as much work as a gal.

The remote meter is pretty handy. Not a big deal to loose a plug connection on a one or two hour drive, but for longer runs, it's nice peace of mind. It also shows the volts of my second battery, so it is handy when I turn the key off to keep an eye on the fridge and battery. Or remind me that I forgot to throw my battery isolation manual switch. More electrical kludge for the cab ;^)

Craig

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Yes, that is the beast. And it will toggle to fahrenheit. It comes with an antenna sending unit that is screwed into the back of the fridge.

In for penny...in for a pound.

Craig

rayra

Expedition Leader
Looks like that remote monitor is about the same size as the cupholder / onstar panel in the lower right corner of our instrument panel layout. Like it would be just a bit bigger than the flat area of that panel area. IF you aren't already using that location for switches it would be easy to modify the modular mount dash internals there to serve as a mounting location for that ARB remote monitor.

Stryder106

Explorer
I removed my OnStar panel awhile ago and placed a perfectly sized Wedgie external speaker for the CB in that spot. Here is the best pic of it with my old console set up. I'm wondering if I remove the ashtray pullout altogether if it would fit into that space.
IMG_1997.jpg

Here is the base of the Wedgie speaker with the new console setup.
IMG_1145.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
Hah. That speaker is a great fit there, I might have to do that. How does it sound? I have (6) switches there for future lights and the power for my console radios. But I don't have anything routed thru there now. I can redesign the top of my scratchbuilt console to incorporate a thin row of switches, sort of like a rack mount power control bar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater