My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

Matto

Observer
. If he won't be doing hardcore wheeling 245/75/16 is a great tire size; bigger than stock but not big enough to cause annoying little issues.
This is what I run, in a KM2. It's great. I had to trim the inner fender guards (well, technically the tyres did their own trimming for me...), but other than that it was a straight fitment onto stock OEM wheels. That's on a 2" lift.

Cheers,
Matt :)

marty1977

Adventurer
Stioc a quick question if i may. You did change your tranny oil to synthetic and did you notice any difference? I'm planning to go that way as well. Is it ok to mix the synthetic to normal oil as i have no idea what is in there and did you do a complete flush threw the return line from the cooler or just drain from the plug and refill?

Big Thanks

stioc

Expedition Leader
Yes, just drain, measure and fill. Always undo the fill plug first (before undoing the drain plug)! No issues with mixing synthetic vs. dino oil.

I did't really notice any difference right away but I think over time it has helped a bit with the previously harsher cold-shifts but that may just be psychological :)

Allof75

Pathfinder
Just as a heads up Marty, these transmissions have harsh shifts from 1-2, and that's completely normal when cold. :)

Hope it helped, thought if throw it in there haha.

marty1977

Adventurer
Just as a heads up Marty, these transmissions have harsh shifts from 1-2, and that's completely normal when cold. :)

Hope it helped, thought if throw it in there haha.

Thx for the input i do experience that harsh shift and as everyone don't like when stuff feels odd. I want to get some time out of my fourby so im trying to make things better so it will last longer. ....I had a good laugh when i read your post as thinks sometimes feel like there is something wrong but its completely normal, just imagine someone is walking up the ladder and first 2 steps squeak and telling someone just keep going up this is normal :) ( it was funny inside my messed up head )

Allof75

Pathfinder
Thx for the input i do experience that harsh shift and as everyone don't like when stuff feels odd. I want to get some time out of my fourby so im trying to make things better so it will last longer. ....I had a good laugh when i read your post as thinks sometimes feel like there is something wrong but its completely normal, just imagine someone is walking up the ladder and first 2 steps squeak and telling someone just keep going up this is normal :) ( it was funny inside my messed up head )

Totally get where you're coming from. Just figured I'd give you a heads up that while synth is a good idea, that harsh shift isn't going anywhere haha. It doesn't affect durability either.

Slicky72

Adventurer
Harder shifts are actually better for the transmission , it's the general public who prefer a cushy shift. That's where the term slush box comes from , most domestic AT shift like butter which actually the tranny slipping a bit as it shifts . Be happy if you have a firm shift. :)

stioc

Expedition Leader
Hmm, actually hard shifts are caused by improper pressure (could be because of the PCM programming or other sensor) or bad solenoids in the valve body :) In any case though synthetic fluids are better because they are far superior when it comes to resisting thermal breakdown- which is one of the bigger reasons for a transmission going bad.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Took the truck out on its shakedown run after the most recent suspension/axle work. The trail was mostly mild but had a few interesting sections where I took the harder lines on purpose. At one time I actually got stuck as the truck got completely cross axled and in loose powdery dirt, no biggie just backed up and tried another line. The truck performed well overall but it didn't feel as comfortable with the front sway bar back on. Lowering the tire pressure will help of course- I was too lazy to do it this time. The front sway bar also started making some noises and got worse and worse as I drove closer to the end of the the 30ish mile trail. I finally got fed up of it so I pulled over, got my tools and tightened up the endlinks, they'd come loose. I drove it in 4lo most of the trail for both power and engine braking reasons. The axles held up fine but I noticed one of the boots could be tightened more as it was seeping just a slight bit of grease, again no big deal. It was a fun day on the trail with the truck.

IMG_3928_zpse7df0840.jpg

IMG_3964_zps7c656928.jpg

IMG_3933_zpsa050f30b.jpg

ACF047DF-6A9D-487E-98C0-9CBC99D28596_zpsxtokcxsj.jpg

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks Marty.

@Mortonm, for a dual purpose rig I can't think of better tires; smooth, quiet and grippy on pavement while tough and reliable offroad. They don't look as aggressive as mud tires but they have their own 'rugged' look. I do wish I'd gone to a slightly wider tire though but that's a personal preference thing and I'm feeling kinda lazy to go through the whole store process of swapping them out again. Btw the 235/85/16 is one of the few sizes of BFG ATs that are rated for snow so pick your size carefully if you encounter snow.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Thanks Marty.

@Mortonm, for a dual purpose rig I can't think of better tires; smooth, quiet and grippy on pavement while tough and reliable offroad. They don't look as aggressive as mud tires but they have their own 'rugged' look. I do wish I'd gone to a slightly wider tire though but that's a personal preference thing and I'm feeling kinda lazy to go through the whole store process of swapping them out again. Btw the 235/85/16 is one of the few sizes of BFG ATs that are rated for snow so pick your size carefully if you encounter snow.

Sums up my feelings exactly. I love the 235 width but like you said looks are not for every one.

I've thought of gong to less aggresive tread patterns but the BFG ATs are so good on the road why bother?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy