My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
OK so here's a quick update. Remember after my last outing the truck developed a metalic clunk that accompanied when turning the steering wheel left-right and could be felt under my feet in the driver's seat? I finally got a chance to look into it. I removed the center skid-plate, crawled under the truck with an air impact wrench and a 22mm socket and tightened every bolt I saw. The passenger side control arm bolts turned more than a 1/4" compared to the others. No more noises! I haven't put the skid plate back on yet so it could very well be the skid plate itself.

Speaking of which...after I built the center skid I felt that everything critical under the truck is fairly protected now except the drive shaft and the transfer-case. I was thinking about finding and modifying the OEM WD21 transfer-case skidplate. However, I didn't know if it would work or if I might even be able to source one. Fast forward a month or so and I met someone who had one on his wife's R50. I asked where he sourced it and he said he got it from the dealer and it came stock on the Xterras. Intrigued I searched but couldn't find one...but it looked almost identical to the WD21 skid I'd previously looked into. After more research on the part#s it turns out that the WD21 skidplates fit almost all mid-sized transfer-cases from Nissan because they're all essentially the same (?). Feeling lucky I took my chances and ordered one for $25 and sure enough it fit perfectly, well once it finally arrived (3 weeks later) and after I sourced the correct bolts for it.

Here it is installed Nissan Part# 30409-33G00

FEE2AF97-DF9B-4F2E-ACDE-30FA47E50EA6-3616-000001B3D1CFEF7B_zpsbe14d757.jpg

Did you ever post up the bolts needed?

stioc

Expedition Leader
Here're the Nissan part numbers for the bolts- you need two of each:

33201-33G10
08121-0201E

I was able to find two from my local Nissan dealer, I think the top part#, but had to fish around in my nuts&bolts drawer for the other two.

bushnut

Adventurer
are you running wheel spacers to clear the front strut with those 235's? they look pretty close to the spring perch. I can hardly get my finger between my 245 and the perch.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Yeah I have 1.5" spacers all around, the info and pics are in the thread somewhere. I'll have to pull the rear ones though to stop the rubbing on the flares. I think 1.25" should do the trick in the front but I went with 1.5 because I was planning to run 33s at one point.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
OK so here's a quick update. Remember after my last outing the truck developed a metalic clunk that accompanied when turning the steering wheel left-right and could be felt under my feet in the driver's seat? I finally got a chance to look into it. I removed the center skid-plate, crawled under the truck with an air impact wrench and a 22mm socket and tightened every bolt I saw. The passenger side control arm bolts turned more than a 1/4" compared to the others. No more noises! I haven't put the skid plate back on yet so it could very well be the skid plate itself.

Speaking of which...after I built the center skid I felt that everything critical under the truck is fairly protected now except the drive shaft and the transfer-case. I was thinking about finding and modifying the OEM WD21 transfer-case skidplate. However, I didn't know if it would work or if I might even be able to source one. Fast forward a month or so and I met someone who had one on his wife's R50. I asked where he sourced it and he said he got it from the dealer and it came stock on the Xterras. Intrigued I searched but couldn't find one...but it looked almost identical to the WD21 skid I'd previously looked into. After more research on the part#s it turns out that the WD21 skidplates fit almost all mid-sized transfer-cases from Nissan because they're all essentially the same (?). Feeling lucky I took my chances and ordered one for $25 and sure enough it fit perfectly, well once it finally arrived (3 weeks later) and after I sourced the correct bolts for it.

Here it is installed Nissan Part# 30409-33G00

FEE2AF97-DF9B-4F2E-ACDE-30FA47E50EA6-3616-000001B3D1CFEF7B_zpsbe14d757.jpg

not sure how I missed this before, pretty interesting, I do not have this on mine

is that part number from an Xterra or wd21 pathfinder?

pretty good looking protection for a low price.

stioc

Expedition Leader
The part#s I believe are from the WD21 Hardbody pickup.

Pathykym, thanks for the heads up I didn't know (or even think about) the all-modes have a different transfer case but it does make sense.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I went to the local dealer today and ordered the skid, I took a look underneath and it all looks like it should line-up.

I think they all use the same transfer case (WD21, WD22 and R50 (other than noted above))

It was $33 Canadian, the bolts were a couple dollars each.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Nissans part warehouse is going to start to wonder why there is a rush on a skid plate from a 20 year old truck

stioc

Expedition Leader
Russel thanks for the part numbers on the skids, they may be my next mod.

Glad to help and share. For the price and fitment it's a no brainer.

Nissans part warehouse is going to start to wonder why there is a rush on a skid plate from a 20 year old truck

Haha so true. Hopefully there are still some left in stock after all these years.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I went to the local dealer today and ordered the skid, I took a look underneath and it all looks like it should line-up.

I think they all use the same transfer case (WD21, WD22 and R50 (other than noted above))

It was $33 Canadian, the bolts were a couple dollars each.

I got mine from a pick and pull junk yard in Wasilla, as shipping from the dealer was killer. It fit the D22 transfer case perfectly. Thanks again for that tip Stioc!

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I got mine from a pick and pull junk yard in Wasilla, as shipping from the dealer was killer. It fit the D22 transfer case perfectly. Thanks again for that tip Stioc!

Good idea. I haven't had much luck finding many xterras and frontiers in pick it yards around here. So ill have to wait for mine.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Some more parts went on the Pathy...

2F376E92-ECDF-4DFA-83FD-BAD726145D6F-17608-000009F16BD278DE_zps614f67f3.jpg

C0B89806-84F5-495A-B2FA-6E7AE9E14CFA-17608-000009F175BCCB95_zps47b68bea.jpg

5B7BF74E-A08B-4928-BDAC-CA940125B34B-17608-000009F17D007EB2_zps6ef4e69c.jpg

I installed EBC 7000 series brake pads not long ago and while the braking improved over what was previously there but after adding the 32" tires it felt inadequate. After researching what better options exist (not many) I decided to try the Hawk LTS pads and fresh rotors (Duralast) along with a set of stainless steel brake lines. This was an all day worth of work since the rotors are bolted to the hubs, plus the lines which also necessitated bleeding the brakes.

So far I like the improved brake pedal feel better but still not what I reaaally want, now my daily driver and motorcycles are known for their superb braking so it just may be that my frame of reference is a bit too optimistic but when I say stop I mean LOCK THE TIRES UP RIGHT NOW kind of stop. I guess the only things left to try are a new brake master cylinder and unbolting/messing with the LSV. I'm still not sure if the LSV spring expands with the weigh in the back or does it contract? In other words if I want max braking from the rear do I unbolt/remove the LSV and tie it up so there's no tension on the spring or do I want the tension?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy