My extremely slow 2001 Tundra build thread

trailscape

Explorer
Some nice upgrades here.. Giving me more ideas to go broke with.

Do those sliders happen to also work as a step bar? I kind of like having step bars, but I do want some sliders..

BrianTN

Adventurer
Do those sliders happen to also work as a step bar? I kind of like having step bars, but I do want some sliders..

They do. I'm pretty happy with them so far. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I haven't been able to use them as they were designed.

trailscape

Explorer
They do. I'm pretty happy with them so far. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I haven't been able to use them as they were designed.

Awesome, thanks. I figure a set of them with some grip tread on it should be good. As for using them, I think it's more peace of mind and one I'm glad to have in the event I do get ambitious.

BrianTN

Adventurer
Awesome, thanks. I figure a set of them with some grip tread on it should be good. As for using them, I think it's more peace of mind and one I'm glad to have in the event I do get ambitious.

I remember seeing a clear, colorless spray on grip tread stuff at Home Depot. I'm probable going to grab some on my next trip there. I'll let you know the results.

SixLug

Explorer
Knoxville, born and raised. I'm currently working at UT Medical Center in town. Good to see another ExPo member in East TN.

No doubt! I was born and raised in Sevierville, went to college at MTSU, and work and live in Maryville now. Where are you going on your trips around here? I dual sport around Tellico and Citico and it would be a good spot to go camping and run around. It isnt super technical (although there are a few creek crossings that I have seen claim a couple vehicles) but its out in the boonies. Maybe we can set up a trail run sometime.

BrianTN

Adventurer
A trail run would be great. Unfortunately I don't know of many places to go. Really the only locations I knew of were on my parent's property, but they sold that a while back.

SixLug

Explorer
I travel a lot for work but if I know Ive got a free weekend coming up Ill PM you and try to set something up with you.

BrianTN

Adventurer
Installed the solenoid and fuse block. Still waiting on some terminals to crimp onto the cables.
Photo%20Jul%2020%2C%209%2044%2021.jpg

Does this look like the grommet through the firewall? I need a place to run 2 10 AWG power cords, cable for the PA speaker, and cable for the National Luna controller.
Photo%20Jul%2020%2C%209%2043%2056.jpg

I rolled underneath to look for a place for an Extremeaire compressor. There was room where the spare should go, but I'd like to leave that open for an auxiliary fuel tank. Really the only other place I could find underneath the truck as inside the right frame rail about half way back. The problem is it is getting pretty close to the exhaust pipe. There should be about 4" of clearance of my measuring is correct. Does anyone think this is too close?
Photo%20Jul%2020%2C%209%2057%2031.jpg

Photo%20Jul%2020%2C%209%2057%2046.jpg

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
On the grommet, if you have that many, wires to run through, I would buy a good quality, 3/4"-1" grommet, and put the hole just above and to the left of the existing one. On that flat area, just where it tapers to a point. Thats where I drilled thru for my two 8AWG amp power cables. I used some RTV to seal the grommet to the body, too.

BrianTN

Adventurer
On the grommet, if you have that many, wires to run through, I would buy a good quality, 3/4"-1" grommet, and put the hole just above and to the left of the existing one. On that flat area, just where it tapers to a point. Thats where I drilled thru for my two 8AWG amp power cables. I used some RTV to seal the grommet to the body, too.

Sounds good, I ended up doing that. On the driver's side I ran the PA speaker cable and National Luna controller cable. I had to briefly remove whatever was in front of the area to make room for the drill. I drilled a similar hole on the other side for the two power cords, one for everything in the console and one for the upcoming fridge. Both of these come off of a Blue Sea fuse block.
Photo%20Jul%2020%2C%2015%2059%2040.jpg

I came across this though. Anyone know what this could be? I never saw the other end of it.
Photo%20Jul%2020%2C%2015%2059%2032.jpg

BrianTN

Adventurer
Well, all cables are connected and the dual battery system works, but there is an issue with the center console power supply. I can achieve about 12.7 V to the RigRunner (aux battery > 100 A fuse at the battery > 4 AWG cables > fuse box > 10 AWG zip cord > RigRunner > Yaesu 897), but both the Yaesu and CB shut down after about 1 second. I checked the voltage at the connectors for the RigRunner and the batteries, everything reads about 12.7-12.8 V. The Yaesu manual states it needs 13.8 V +- 15%. Any ideas?

Here are a couple new pictures:
Photo%20Jul%2025%2C%209%2028%2037.jpg

Photo%20Jul%2025%2C%209%2029%2010.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77