My extremely slow 2001 Tundra build thread

BrianTN

Adventurer
Once the console situation is finished, I'm thinking of building a soft top similar to the Can-Back. It feels I've waited 1000 years for these to be manufactured again. I saw this thread think I can do something similar. Here is a quick picture:
100_8131.jpg

A question though, what size tube is adequate? I would like it to be strong enough for a roof top tent, but do not want to get too heavy. Maybe 1 or 1.25" in diameter? Then again, I have some nice tube clamps, such as on the bed bar, for 1.75" tube that would work well. It would be beneficial if I could use the same clamps for modularity. Does 1.75" OD, 0.095 wall sound too heavy?

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
I cant remember who it was, but I'm sure someone will chime in...He had a thread going on recently on a mid-cab height lifting RTT rack...I dont remember what he used, but it was smaller than 1.75"...Very slick looking design...I know you wanna keep yours solid at cab height...but...

BrianTN

Adventurer
Thanks for the link. I'll shoot him a PM.

In regards to the console, the Yaesu does work without any change except unplugging the mic. I guess it has a short in it somewhere. As soon as I plug in the mic the radio shuts off. The Ram Tough Hub does not support Apple devices as it doesnt have a "secret handshake" whatever that is.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
nice tundra build. like what you have done so far. i just picked up a 2004 tundra trd. mainly for hauling toys to the beach. i might build it up a little but will see lol. i still have a 88 runner that i mainly use for all my other off road fun

BrianTN

Adventurer
Working on the "can back" frame. Once this is finished, I'll have to find someone to bend the tube to make the three hoops. I'll then weld on 1/4" thick flat to the ends and bolt them to the railing with maybe 3/8" bolts. I'll drill a 1/2" hole in the inner edge to place the nut inside the rectangular tubing, and this hole will be covered with a plastic push clip that snaps into place. I think I will use these roll bar clamps to attach feet from a Yakima or Thule rack. This should be strong enough to build a basic platform for storage or a RTT. The snaps on the outside edge are for attaching the canvas top to the side. There is weather striping underneath the frame, so hopefully this will be relatively water resistant.
IMG_3746.jpg

IMG_3747.JPG

Hopefully the remaining console parts on backorder will arrive soon.

trailscape

Explorer
I had a can back on mine for a while.. The frame was pretty stout, but it was old and the canvas didn't hold up well. I was going to use it to run a roof rack, but wound up giving it away after picking up a topper.

BrianTN

Adventurer
I can't find anyone to bend the tubing yet, so I'll probably go with a smaller diameter, about 1"- 1 1/4". Should be strong enough. Or, I'll bite the bullet and buy my own bender. I do need a custom rear bumper...

Eventually I will install an air compressor. While fabbing up a 12v outlet on the bumper, I went ahead and made space for an air coupler.
Photo%20Aug%2017%2C%2015%2046%2050.jpg

I wasn't too happy with the durability of the flat black paint on the front bumper so I repainted it. I also added a hitch receiver up front for my vise, easy backing up of my M101 trailer (so short I can't see it out the back), carry a luggage rack, etc. It hurts the approach angle some, but I don't do anything hard core so I'll probably be fine.
Photo%20Aug%2017%2C%2015%2047%2013.jpg

While threading the skid plate bolts to 3/8", the tap broke in the last hole. I tried drilling it out but that didn't work so I knocked out the nut with a hammer and punch. I then expanded the hole some and welded in a grade 8 bolt. Works just fine.
Photo%20Aug%2012%2C%2011%2027%2023.jpg

BrianTN

Adventurer
Here is the Yakima rack. Whatever I do over the bed will hopefully be level with these bars for a nice platform.
IMG_3782.JPG

BrianTN

Adventurer
Four grade 8 1/2" bolts on each side. There are fender washers above and below to help spread out the pressure. I wanted to avoid drilling, but wasn't sure of the reliability of something like c clamps. I figured they would be pretty easy to hit and knock loose.

BrianTN

Adventurer
Funny enough the voltage issue was two problems. The mic to the Yaesu was shorted somewhere so it was turning off the radio. A new mic fixed this. And the USB hub wouldn't charge because it will not charge Apple devices without a laptop connected. I connected a laptop and the hub works just fine. Unfortunately I rarely keep a laptop in there, so I found this converter that works. I won't be buying 1 for all 6 ports, maybe one more so I have one for my iPhone and one for my girlfriend's.

Right now I am working out the kinks with the Yaesu. A dummy load gives me a SWR of 1-1.4 over all bands of the Yaesu 897d, but the mount I am using makes the SWR sky rocket with a Comet SSB5. The CB works well with a Firestik antenna, and I will be adding a Firestik match maker (think it's called that) to have it also be the AM/FM antenna. The reasoning for this is an ARB snorkel will not fit with the stock antenna. I don't know when I will do all of this though, those snorkels are pricey.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Four grade 8 1/2" bolts on each side. There are fender washers above and below to help spread out the pressure. I wanted to avoid drilling, but wasn't sure of the reliability of something like c clamps. I figured they would be pretty easy to hit and knock loose.

if you can, could you show some pictures of this? so you did drill?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77