My First Build: 1996 E350 7.3 Quigley

Frohagen

Really like the spare tire mount. The heim joints will allow you to adjust it if it does sag a little. Any updates on the interior bed area?

Thanks! I am taking a brief break from the interior build to address some surface rust issues in the gutters. I'll be sure to post when I get back to it.

Frohagen

How bad is the rust in the gutters? Mine were rusted away in places, as in rusted away completely. I had to rebuild a few feet. On two vans now I have lined the gutter channel with Vulkem. It's really stout stuff and you'll have no worries afterwards.

Thanks for the tip! I'm truly learning as I go, so any advice is greatly appreciated. The rust in the gutter near the back and passenger door was pretty bad; it looked like the roof hadn't been rinsed for quite some time when I bought it in November. Like you recommended, a friend advised me to grind the gutter and apply Vulkem. I planned to do this, but decided to take care of paint and body all at once. When I get then van back, I plan to next Line-X the entire roof to help limit any future problems.

image.jpg
image.jpg

djbonsu

Adventurer
How bad is the rust in the gutters? Mine were rusted away in places, as in rusted away completely. I had to rebuild a few feet. On two vans now I have lined the gutter channel with Vulkem. It's really stout stuff and you'll have no worries afterwards.

http://www.amazon.com/Tremco-Vulkem...ie=UTF8&qid=1421942655&sr=8-4&keywords=vulkem

I too have this issue but it's more surface rust than rotting. Do you recommend grinding the gutter completely until all old material is gone then fill with Vulkem? Thanks for the tip!

Frohagen

Just got the van back from paint and body. Had it repainted the same color. Pretty happy how it turned out.
image.jpg
Next step is to wire up the light bar. Also, looking to improve the overall, day-to-day ride quality of the quigley system. Figured a coil spring 1 1/2" to 2" over stock and some new shocks might help with the limited up travel. Any advice is appreciated.

ert01

Adventurer
Lookin good!
Most guys recommend the agile offroad RIP kit to improve the ride on the quigley's... I haven't tried it myself but I plan to once the cdn dollar goes back up a bit.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Just got the van back from paint and body. Had it repainted the same color. Pretty happy how it turned out.
View attachment 272379
Next step is to wire up the light bar. Also, looking to improve the overall, day-to-day ride quality of the quigley system. Figured a coil spring 1 1/2" to 2" over stock and some new shocks might help with the limited up travel. Any advice is appreciated.

That will make it handle worse, the alignment will be out of spec and you'll need some adjustable control arms which creates other issues..... start with some better shocks.

naterry

13 Cheeseburgers
I planned to do this, but decided to take care of paint and body all at once. When I get then van back, I plan to next Line-X the entire roof to help limit any future problems.

Lookin' good and liking these gutter shots. I went with Line-X as well:

0223151446_zpsj0vog9yd.jpg

Frohagen

That will make it handle worse, the alignment will be out of spec and you'll need some adjustable control arms which creates other issues..... start with some better shocks.

Thanks for the input! I'll definitely start there. Kind of wishing I had your kit instead.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
You are on the right track - Quigley's can easily be made to handle very well.

looking to improve the overall, day-to-day ride quality of the quigley system. Figured a coil spring 1 1/2" to 2" over stock and some new shocks might help with the limited up travel. Any advice is appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal