My first project vehicle

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
That one guy,
Here your answers
Question 1: Is it possible to buy axle shafts for my Chrysler 8.75 with a different lug pattern?

Yes Moser will build whatever axle you want for any application.

I might be wrong on this, but I don't believe you can get a semi-floating axle shaft made with an 8-lug pattern. I used to run a ford 9 inch with H2 wheels and had to build my own full-floating housing to get the 8-lugs. I did find a few companies who would build me a 2-piece wheel adapter to run 8-lugs but the cost was over $200 per wheel.

At the time I was looking (about 4 years ago) no one, even Moser, would build me a semi-floating 8-lug shaft.

dsw4x4

Adventurer
I guess I just never went to them with the wrong application they have always told me yes to my problems. Although thinking about it leads me to believe they would not do an 8 lug conversion because with out serious fab work you would never get brakes to fit on that thing.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure the difficulty lies with the bolt pattern, 8 on 6.5. Moser has blank axles ready to go and most are simply not large enough on the end to accommodate the wide lug spacing. Same story with other "custom" axle manufacturers I approached.

I had the idea that I might take a semi-floating 14-bolt shaft and machine it down to accept the Set 21 bearings and 31 splines but never followed through. I don't need the combination now, but will probably still find out if it will work at some point.

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Either way that all sounds like a lot of cost and work to beef up an inherently weak axle. You can find 60 rears with disk brakes at the scrap yard for 100 bucks, for that price I would never think twice about spending a dime on beefing up a 8.25 ring gear axle.

That One Guy

Adventurer
That one guy,
Here your answers
Question 1: Is it possible to buy axle shafts for my Chrysler 8.75 with a different lug pattern?

Yes Moser will build whatever axle you want for any application.
However you can usually find a dana 60 rear axle for a lot less money and the strength will be 5 times what that 8.75 axle will be. You will spend 3 or 4 hundred dollars buying axle shafts to beef up a weak axle.

Question 2: Should I just buy an F-150 front axle so they'll both be 5 lugs?
Options for the front axle are endless.

You can buy a f150 axle or a dodge 1/2 ton axle to swap in the front axle.
First thing you need to figure out is how are you going to use/build your van. If you are going to load it down with a full rv build and then use it to take you to far off destinations in remote areas then I would ditch all of the half ton gear and go one ton dana 60s front and rear. Or if your going to run big tires and wheel it hard, regardless of the weight of the van I would still ditch the half ton gear. If you want a 4wd van to tow a boat or toy and get to an occasional camp spot in the woods I would say half ton would be fine. It seems around here 8 lug dana 44 front axles go for about the same as a good deal on a dana 60 front axle. If that is the case in your area I would hold out for a dana 60 again the strength will be a huge difference. I am doing a swap on my work van and I really need the 4wd to get to my house in the winter and that is about it so i am going to go with a 44 if I can find one cheap enough if not, I am going to put a 60 in the front. But either way i am ditching the 9inch for a 60 in the rear.
Derek

What I'm about to say is kinda not needed cuz I went and looked and it's the 8.25. :( But my dad had the 8.75 in his Cuda with almost 600 horse on nitrous and never had a problem with it.

I'm not doing a full RV convo, it will just be for me and maybe some other people. I won't be towing anything, and it will probably see moderate wheeling. It's basically a camping/ fun rig, So that's why I want 44's.

Edit... Not the 8.25... Researching what it is.

Attachments

• Image03242011112515.jpg
    Image03242011112515.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 10

2500ak

Observer
It's a Dodge 9.25. I have no idea about anything on this axle. Any ideas?

I think the 9.25 is supposed to be similar to a a Dana 60. It's a C-Clip style I think. Not a full floating axle, but not I've never heard much bad about them, never heard much about at all actually.

That One Guy

Adventurer
I think the 9.25 is supposed to be similar to a a Dana 60. It's a C-Clip style I think. Not a full floating axle, but not I've never heard much bad about them, never heard much about at all actually.

I read they're inbetween a 44 and a 60. That's my problem, I've never even heard of one. Dumb question, but what's the difference between a full float, and semi float?

That One Guy

Adventurer
Great. No one makes lockers for it. Only a Detroit, and I hate limited slips with a passion. So what year Ford will have the non c clip type? Also, are parts for a 60 more expensive than parts for a 44? I'm thinking maybe a little bit of overkill won't hurt if it only costs a tad more. Unless they're wider and I need to have them narrowed and whatnot. I just want to bolt them in.

That One Guy

Adventurer
Well my junk yard charges 500 a piece for 44's and 1k a piece for 60's. I am NOT paying that. Just my local craigslist has deals that are 75% less and have locking hubs and disc brakes. I'll get those.

MrBeast

Explorer
Man it is too bad you are not closer, I have a dana 60 full floater out of a ford van sitting in my shop doing absolutely nothing.

That One Guy

Adventurer
Made a rotating mount for the 5 foot Firestik whip I'm getting. That little box mounts to the top rail of my roof rack with a bolt welded inside that hole so I can tighten it at any angle.

Attachments

• Image03292011171849.jpg
    Image03292011171849.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 6

MrBeast

Explorer
Just a thought, on my truck im going to make antenna mounts that can easily fold down so I can get the truck in the garrage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat