My "New" Willy's II Trailer Build

slimtwo

Adventurer
Ok, I’m still on track. I finished the paint on the trailer frame, and the tent frame and solar mast. I did all the touch ups that I saw (if I missed any, I’ll get um later).

04042202.jpg

04042201.jpg

04042204.jpg

I still have to paint the tent lift mechanism and shaft, but I will use rattle cans for that.

Because I rolled it on pretty heavy, I am not gonna be able to assemble it for a few days at least. Next week I will get back on the box. I have three doors to hang, and then I will be ready to disassemble the box, and get it ready to glue it up.
I should be ready for tow trials by May. Of course, I still have to get down to the DMV to get it registered too. More later.

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Today, I just painted the tent lift arms and the frame for the solar panel. That was about all I could do today.

04052201.jpg

Although the picture doesn't show it, I painted the parts black after 30 minutes. so, they are done.

Thursday I will get the tent platform back in place, and maybe get the tent back on the frame. Then it’s back on the box.

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
So, yesterday, we worked in the shop, trying to clean and organize a little, so no trailer work. Today, I put the front of the trailer back on, and also the solar mast and panel as well. The fenders are sitting there, however, they mount on the box, not the trailer.
04072204.jpg

04072203.jpg

After that, I started back on the box. I mounted the second door, on the opposite side in the front.

04072202.jpg 04072201.jpg

My friend and I discussed putting the tent back on the trailer, but I decided to let the paint dry a bit more, because it is still soft. So we will handle that Monday.

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Just continued on the door installations today.

04082201.jpg

04082202.jpg

Next time in the shop, I will install to bottom shelves in the back side compartments. One side is pretty warped, and I don’t want to install the door until it’s straight. And the compartment floor will take care of that. Monday, I will move the tent back on to the trailer, and secure it. Then I will begin the disassembly process to prepare to glue it up. Once again, while it is completely apart, I will set the floor on the trailer to install the anchor points (4), and get them welded to the frame.

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
So, the tent is back on the trailer, hopefully for good.

04132202.jpg

I got the bottom shelf of the left rear compartment mounted, along with the door.

04132203.jpg

04132201.jpg

Next thing I think I want to do, is install the fridge slide tray (I have to build it first though), then build the drawer for the rear compartment, and set up the slide for that. The last thing will be the floor penetrations for the batteries, and the front penetration for the solar panel cables. Once that is done, then I should be able to disassemble the box, glue it up, reassemble it, seal it, raptor liner the fenders and bottom, paint it, and mount it on the trailer. Just a few things to do yet. LOL

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
The past few days, I have spent most of the time “pondering” over a few things. However, I have made some progress as well. I’m working on the fridge slide out, and it is working out pretty well.

I used aluminum angle; 3 x 3 to mount the slides. I will mount those to the deck using carriage bolts up through from the bottom.

04172203.jpg

I'm using 2 x 2 steel angle that will support the slide out shelf. the shelf will be secured to the angle with bolts. The fridge will be held in place with straps, run through the handles, and secured to the shelf using "eye" bolts.

04172201.jpg

I have to pick up some more material, but I will take care of that this coming week. Once that is done, I will begin to take it all apart, so that I can glue it up and seal it. Getting tired of Elephant, but it’s almost gone.

Happy trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Today was a busy day, although, not all of it was on the trailer. I had to do some husbandly stuff, like taking my wife’s car in for service (I know what your thinking, why am I not doing my own oil change, because, it’s still under warranty). At any rate. I didn’t have a lot of time at the shop, but some. I did get the trailer jack painted to match the trailer, that’s one thing.

04182201.jpg

The other, is I got the holes drilled for the fridge slides. So, as soon as I finish the tray for the fridge, I can set it up and drill the holes in the floor, and mount it. All for now.

Happy Trails!

wowf

Did I mention how disappointed I am with the quality of plywood I bought? /I have had such a time working with this stuff. I am almost to the point on the box, where I need to cut out the doors, and I am concerned, that as soon as I cut those panels out, what’s left of the side panels are going to spring into a warp on me. I am going to be using ¾” for the doors, so I don’t have to worry about the doors not holding their shape, but it would be nice to have the frames straight and flush. At any rate, I am finishing up with mounting the interior bulkheads. Next, I think I need to get the top cut and fitted in place. Especially, due to the concern of warping. I intended to use ½” ply for the top, but I’m having second thoughts now. My challenge is clearance. This thing has to fit inside the frame, and I’m pretty tight.

Well, that’s where I’m at for now. I didn’t take any pictures this time. I will tomorrow, and post them on the next one. Have a great day everyone!

Happy trails!

I bought the slides on amazon; YENUO Heavy Duty Drawer Slides Locking Full Extension Side Mount Ball Bearing Long Rails Track Guide Glides Runners 32 inch 800mm Load 500lbs 1 Pair
They should be here on Thursday. I still need to build the tray that the fridge sits on. Like those fenders! I would have liked to have used tubing, to get nice radiused edges, but don't have access to a bender like that. Nice trailer. My first one is like that. View attachment 709502

Thanks for the tip on those sliders. I just ordered a pair. They solve a (lack of) depth issue I have with the kitchen drawer box I’m building for my truck.

Also, this build is awesome. Thanks for documenting everything in such great detail. Your skills seriously impress!!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Thanks for the tip on those sliders. I just ordered a pair. They solve a (lack of) depth issue I have with the kitchen drawer box I’m building for my truck.

Also, this build is awesome. Thanks for documenting everything in such great detail. Your skills seriously impress!!
I'm glad the info helped you out. Thank you for the kind words!

slimtwo

Adventurer
So, I worked on the trailer a bit yesterday. I worked on the slide out for the fridge, and got that part done. All I need to do is cut a piece of plywood for the shelf and mount it to the rails, then drill the holes through the floor for the anchor bolts, and mount it.

It looks like it's tweaked, it's not, it's just the camera angle, honest! LOL

04202201.jpg

I think I’m gonna wait on that until after I get the box glued up. Tomorrow, I’m gonna start taking the box apart, and start gluing it up. I plan to have it all glued up by the end of next week. The next thing will be to Bondo all the screw holes, open seams, imperfections, and get it ready for the fiberglass coating. Lots to do still!

For today, it was “help a fellow jeeper day”. We helped a friend on his trailer build. We helped finish his rear bumper, and add stabilization to his tongue jack, and stowage.

04202202.jpg

It is very fulfilling for me to be able to help out a fellow brother. It's especially great when it involves jeep stuff!

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
So, today I cleared all the tools and parts off the box, in preparation to dismantle it for gluing. Then my friend got there, and we worked on his car for a bit (an issue with his power seats). Then he helped me with the box. We got it all torn apart, and then progressively, we removed the screw strips, and glued and screwed them back in place.

04222201.jpg

04222204.jpg

04222205.jpg

04222203.jpg

The last thing we did today, was place the floor on the trailer, and mart the locations for the box mounting brackets. This was so the anchor bolts, didn't interfere with the bulkhead placements. I will finalize this tomorrow, then weld them in place, and drill the holes.

04222202.jpg

Monday, we will reassemble the box with glue and screws. The next step, will be to fill all the holes and seams, and prepare for resin. By the end of next week, I could be ready to apply the Raptor liner on the bottom of the box. Wahoo!

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
So, I got the floor lined up, and verified that the anchor points would not interfere with anything, then I welded the mounts in place.

04232202.jpg

04232201.jpg

After that, I got started putting the box back together with glue this time. I got as far as I could today. I need to figure out how I’m gonna vent the fridge compartment, so I need access for the moment until I do.

04232205.jpg

04232204.jpg

04232203.jpg

More on Monday!

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
So, I piddled around today. I am working on a positive air pressure system for the trailer, to minimize the dust. So, while I’m ”pondering “ that, I finished gluing in the pads for the fridge slides, and setting up the tail light mounts, drilling the holes, and so on.

04252201.jpg 04252202.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas for a positive ventilation system for a trailer? I have looked at u tube, and found a couple. Just not quite what I have in mind. later.

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
I have been kinda down with a back strain for the past week, so I haven’t been working on the trailer. However, today, I put some time into it. I have been looking for some kind of positive air flow set up, but I have not come across anything all ready made, so I guess I will have to come up with something on my own. I did at least decide that I didn’t need a grill to cover the vent holes inside the trailer, so I just drilled a bunch of holes, in some sort of a uniform fashion. It works.

05022202.jpg 05022201.jpg

I have the venting mostly figured out in the fridge compartment. At least vent hole locations. I think I have decided to bring the air in that compartment, which will circulate the heated air out and through the box. I will vent all the compartments so it will equalize through out. That, I hope, will create enough positive pressure to keep all the dust out. So, once the vent holes were done, I glued and screwed the front bulkhead in place.

05022206.jpg

05022205.jpg

05022204.jpg

The last thing I did, was mark the holes for the fridge slide brackets.

05022203.jpg

That’s about all I felt like doing today. I don’t want to push the back thing to much.

Happy Trails!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater