My obsessive search for the "right" backpack

ScottK

I am looking for a backpack, but not one that makes me look like I am about to summit Everest. Or one that makes me look like I am late for a Computer Science class. I purchased one of these from Kakadu Imports.

Which was perfect...almost. The quality is outstanding and the capacity was perfect, but the shoulder straps were so short that the backpack rode up on my shoulders, making me look like the hunchback of Notre Dame.

Does anyone know of a canvas style backpack that is similar to the Kakadu one, and doesn't look futuristic?

Thanks,
Scott

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
What about a visit to your local upholstery shop for some modifications to the pack you have?
It looks good. Maybe some longer shoulder straps. Add to what you have or start fresh and add the padding you want. I see it looks like it does not have a waist strap. That can be handy when climbing. Perhaps add one?
Check out your local fabric store or gather parts from an outdoor store. Webbing can be purchased. Belts might make good material. A nice simple solid leather belt could be used to extend straps. Maybe a harness shop or tack supplier. Automotive seat belt webbing. I can think of many options for materials. The upholstery shop can stitch it all together.

ScottK

Thanks for the responses. I never really thought about modifying it. I pulled it back out of the package and am looking at ways to lengthen the straps without making it look like I did.

Boy, those Sandstorm bags sure are nice....

detailbarn

Adventurer
ScottK said:
I am looking for a backpack, but not one that makes me look like I am about to summit Everest. Or one that makes me look like I am late for a Computer Science class. I purchased one of these from Kakadu Imports.

Which was perfect...almost. The quality is outstanding and the capacity was perfect, but the shoulder straps were so short that the backpack rode up on my shoulders, making me look like the hunchback of Notre Dame.

Does anyone know of a canvas style backpack that is similar to the Kakadu one, and doesn't look futuristic?

Thanks,
Scott

Scott I have the same bag and had the same problem with the straps being to short. A quick trip to the local leather smith and the problem was solved, I had him move the lower portion of the straps down closer to the end of the shoulder pads and the fit is great and I still have the top and bottom adjustments available. I will provide pictures on Monday , as right now I am on the road in NC and don't have my camera's patch cable.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Good suggestion! A shoe or boot shop would be an excellent choice for assistance. They would have materials as well.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
k1123506.jpg

Montbell makes some old school backs still.

ScottK

Thanks for the advice. I'm really amazed that Kakadu would make such a great product, but never actually try it on. Or maybe the company is run by people of smaller stature. I am 6' and 175 pounds, and I do not see how this backpack can fit anyone that size.

That being said, I still recommend it based on overall quality.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Beowulf said:
Montbell makes some old school backs still.
Nice looking pack, but is it available in the US? The Montbell USA website does not list the classic packs, although it looks like the Montbell Japan site has several of them (the French Guide, for example).

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
The first time it saw it was at Mont Bell in Boulder. They may have stopped improting that model. I have not been in the store for about a year.

MaddBaggins

Explorer
I really like Dana Designs packs. I started out with a Jansport internal frame, lets just say it had a lot of quality issues and after 2 years was replaced with a Dana. I've had the Dana for about 8-10 years now. Pricey, but worth it. I bought it at Summit Hut in Tucson, where the staff will personally fit the pack to my frame and back curvature.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I've owned and backpacked with 2-Dana's (Bridger and Terraplane X)...they both caused me severe top of the shoulder pain/hot spots after 4-5 miles on the trail inspite of many different adjustments, etc. I, last year, went to an Osprey Aether 60 pack and it is 100% comfortable...so far up to 14-miles per day...no reason to think it will not be as comfortable on bigger days than this. They even have a back design that promotes more air flow...nice on those warm/hot climbs I'll tell ya.

Packs fit everyone differently...try to test/rent a couple different brands if you can...or start with lesser expensive pack choices just in case they don't work out and you'll suffer a little less $$$ pain on the resale side!

Section 8

Observer
The Tactical Tailor has a three day pack, and if price doesn't scare you, the Malice packs military personel are familure with are also available. They also have modifications for the Malice packs.

The bags are tough. Everything about them are heavy duty, the zippers are huge and the handles are multipe layered. You wouldn't think it by looking at them, but mine is quite ergonomic and very comfortable to wear. It doesn't look much different from Jansport or Columbia bags, but for some reason it really fits well. Ordinarly, I'd think that it was just a sizing thing (everyone is different blah blah blah), but maybe they build bags for the average size man, instead of the average sized person. Thus, being an average sized man (6'1" 190#) the bag fits like it was built for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy