My relatively in-expensive offroad popup build thread

BigAl

Expedition Leader
euro.love said:
Did I mention I am going to let my girlfriend decorate the interior!!! :eek:

Nice work so far, as long as she's not into unicorns, you'll be OK:D

euro.love

Adventurer
I have 2 2x7 Sheets of aluminum diamond plate that I got with a $600 car trailer. The trailer frame was bent but the 7x16 deck was done with 3/16 aluminum diamond plate (which is why I picked it up). The diamond plate alone was worth $800.

euro.love

Adventurer
Starting on the interior tomorrow!!! This thing is going way faster than I thought it would go. Just ordered a 12v shower system. No heater, but I have a 20,000 btu stove and campfire to heat up some water. Heres a link to the shower.
http://bigkahunashowers.com/

ExpoMike

euro.love said:
Starting on the interior tomorrow!!! This thing is going way faster than I thought it would go. Just ordered a 12v shower system. No heater, but I have a 20,000 btu stove and campfire to heat up some water. Heres a link to the shower.
http://bigkahunashowers.com/

Glad to hear it's going well.

Make sure you give a report about the shower system. It was talked briefly in the Camping forum but no one actually had used one. It looked like something we were thinking about. Would like to hear your views once you use it.

Thanks and keep up the good work. :D

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Looks like it is coming along. Do give us a report on the shower unit. That is the one that I saw in the Cabelas catalog and was courious about.

euro.love

Adventurer
Heres my update as of April 10th. I started to work on the inner fender wells this morning. Then a little man in brown came with all sorts of goodies, tubing bender, tube notcher, big kahuna shower, and of course the axle! The axle kit came in and the hubs fit!!!! Thank god, I was getting worried about that. So I bolted on the wheels, pulled off the stock setup and put it where its going to sit. Me like, me like alot!

Here is what the 1" square tubing is going to look like for the fender well.

Group3025.jpg

Axle looks like a pencil. But, I am confident it will hold up. Going to bring an extra set of bearings just in case.
Group3027.jpg

Have not done the match yet, but looks like around a 12" lift on this trailer. So sweet.
Group3029.jpg

Freakin sweet
Group3033.jpg

Freakin awesome #2
Group3032-1.jpg

And heres the 12v shower I got. Its real cool. Pump is a 12v bilge pump 360gph
Group3035.jpg

Girlfriend showing how far is shoots. Not much but it will do the job.
Group3037.jpg

Dave

Explorer
Ok, you're pictures have me wanting to order a heavier duty axle and larger tires for my pop-up.

Keep us updated, I like where this is going!

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Have you allowed for compression of the leaf springs in the clearance in the wheel wells? It looks close, maybe 3 inches.

If it's close you may want to think about a bump stop to limit the travel. This would stop you damaging the wheel wells.

Good progress.

euro.love

Adventurer
Its raining here today. But I went underneath with a leaf. The tire gap will be about 3-4 more inches than it shows in the pic. I just dropped the camper down over the tires and axle setup to see what it was going to look like. Hopefully the rain will let up so I can keep goin on this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz