My relatively in-expensive offroad popup build thread

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Looking sweet! You need a set of tj rear flares for it it would look good! Is that the Big Kahunna shower syatem? I was checking them out in Cabellas. :friday:

euro.love

Adventurer
Heres what I got as of today.

Had to weld on new spring mounts onto the axle so it would line up with my frame and clear my wheels.
Group3043.jpg

All mounted up and ready to fit the wheels.
Group3045.jpg

Awesome. I am going to paint my truck in the next 2 weeks. Its going to go black, so it will be matching and pretty slick lookin.
Group3046-1.jpg

*** end of it.
Group3048.jpg

Side
Group3049.jpg

Popped.
Group3051.jpg

Inside shot. Plenty of clearance.
Group3053.jpg

Inner fender frame.
Group3054.jpg

I forgot to take pics, but I finished the inner fender frames and got all the bare metal primed. I will also have my fender trim on tomorrow. It will clean up that gap real nice like. I should also have the sheet metal on to seal up the fenders. I have also been thinking about adding shocks of some sort. I have a good pair of stock Tacoma shocks, but they are kinda long, and I really dont want to punch through the camper to mount them. Any ideas? I also plan on really beefing up the frame a bit. But, I want to get the interior done next. That way if I run into a issue with time I wont be screwed on my trip that is only a few weeks away now. Plus I gotta see how it works so I can make improvements where needed. All said and done I have $1,000 (thats including initial buying price) and a week of time into it.

Last edited:

euro.love

Adventurer
Thanks! Went way bigger than I had anticipated, but I like it. Gonna have to make steps to get in. Thing is about 2 and a half feet from the bottom of the camper to the ground.

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
Very, very nice! It looks like a completly different animal than what you started with. It will look great when you get the fenders trimed out and the wheel wells filled in. For the wheel wells are you going to insulate them? Sandwich a piece of 1" hard foam insulation in between an inner and out skin and it will make it that much more comfortable when campin down near the lower end of the thermometer. I'm guessing that you used 1" square tubing.

What are you going to use the bender and notcher to build?

Mike

Last edited:

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I like it! It sets very well behind the taco. Though the truck looks like the paint is too nice to mess with lol. If you want to find a decent short shock for the trailer look at the front shocks for a stock 88-99 Chevy 4x4 k1500. I put wide trac axles under my CJ. It had the short upper shock towers on it with the raised lower shock mounts, for a while. The normal shocks wounldn't fit. I had a spare set of shocks from my truck that fit perfectly. If you can find a used set of Z-71 shocks they were Bilsteins.

euro.love

Adventurer
I am going to use the bender for everything once I settle down somewhere. I really want to get into some sort of position fabricating off road or on road performance parts. Bumpers custom trailers, etc.

As for insulating the fenders I think thats a great idea. 1" insulation board would be perfect. Thanks for the idea. I want to insulate under the sleeping platform as well.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
AWSOME AWSOME AWSOME :26_7_2: I am looking foward on seeing how you attached your fender wells!:jumping:

BBsound

Adventurer
Looks Great:clapsmile

Why did'nt you use 6 lug hubs and match the Yota'? The tires look to be close to the same size.(maybe you said why earlier.......)

I wonder what loads that axle can handle with the spring mounts moved in like you did? I doubt it would be a problem though considering the weight of the trailer.

A spare tire would look good just to the left of the door on the back of the camper, as long as it will not interfere with any operations. You could even mount a spindle, and have a complete spare hub & wheel.

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
WOW, that thing is awesome. I have a coleman that i sprung over and it has seen some pretty gnarly trails. I am excited to see how the fenders come out because i have been contemplating doing the exact same thing. If im confident my work will be half as good as yours i might try it. Great fit and finish.

euro.love

Adventurer
BBsound said:
Looks Great:clapsmile

Why did'nt you use 6 lug hubs and match the Yota'? The tires look to be close to the same size.(maybe you said why earlier.......)

I wonder what loads that axle can handle with the spring mounts moved in like you did? I doubt it would be a problem though considering the weight of the trailer.

A spare tire would look good just to the left of the door on the back of the camper, as long as it will not interfere with any operations. You could even mount a spindle, and have a complete spare hub & wheel.

The main reason why I didnt do 6 lug to match my truck was money. I got 5 wheels and tires for $50 and the complete axle setup for $200. So I could not complain.Thinking about mounting both the small stock wheels and tires up under the frame. That way if I get a flat I can swap on those and be able to get somewhere to fix it. Having another 32 is just too big and in the way.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
euro.love said:
The main reason why I didnt do 6 lug to match my truck was money. I got 5 wheels and tires for $50 and the complete axle setup for $200. So I could not complain.Thinking about mounting both the small stock wheels and tires up under the frame. That way if I get a flat I can swap on those and be able to get somewhere to fix it. Having another 32 is just too big and in the way.

If you carry a plug kit and small compressor you are going to take care of 99% of any punctures you may get. Punctures on trailers are not that common so long as the tires are good to start with.

Tanto

Adventurer
I am inspired. You've done what I've been visualizing for nearly a year now.

I should probably thank you for helping me justify the purchase of a Hobart 140 to my wife.

euro.love

Adventurer
Right on. Everything I have done has been real straight forward and easy to do. The welder is key, I purchased my miller 175 brand new when I was 16 and have not put it down since, now im 23. I can honestly say this has been one of the more fun things I have worked on. Mainly because its so inexpensive and its a camper, I mean nothing has to be perfect or over the top, its just a $600 pop up. The only thing is, my friends dont really get why I am doing any of this. So I have officially recieved the redneck award, because where im from who else would lift and put 32's on a pop up camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz