My relatively in-expensive offroad popup build thread

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
euro.love said:
Right on. Everything I have done has been real straight forward and easy to do. The welder is key, I purchased my miller 175 brand new when I was 16 and have not put it down since, now im 23. I can honestly say this has been one of the more fun things I have worked on. Mainly because its so inexpensive and its a camper, I mean nothing has to be perfect or over the top, its just a $600 pop up. The only thing is, my friends dont really get why I am doing any of this. So I have officially recieved the redneck award, because where im from who else would lift and put 32's on a pop up camper.

I hear ya, i bought mine for 700 and now have just over 1K as it sits with a spring over. I plan on a 3500lb axle, spring kit and possibly 31's if i cut the wells like you did. I thought id post a few pics of mine and the great memories its given me, as im sure yours will do for you. By the way, if you need stabilizer jacks, the ones i have in the second pic i picked up at harbor freight for $17 a piece @ a sidewalk sale and work awesome, highly recommended.
Lake Mcconaughey, nebraska
P1010235.jpg

Grand junction on the way to Moab
P1010003.jpg

Tanto

Adventurer
That double sided one is exactly what I'll be looking for to mod since I have kids that need a place to sleep.

Here are some side by sides of your excellent progress:

Group3005.jpg

Group3051.jpg

jagular7

Adventurer
Euro.love - I'm trying to invision why the camper requires a soft cover. From the looks of it, the top could close and be underneath the flip top/bed.

Is the flip top spring loaded to help with the opening/closing?

Have you thought of not painting the entire truck, but maybe add some black lines and then clash it with some red lines to the camper?

chet

island Explorer
the bed slides and when it does it leaves a big gap at the front! believe me it needs the cover! damn thing hards to get on when its cold too!

euro.love

Adventurer
jnelson4x4taco said:
I hear ya, i bought mine for 700 and now have just over 1K as it sits with a spring over. I plan on a 3500lb axle, spring kit and possibly 31's if i cut the wells like you did. I thought id post a few pics of mine and the great memories its given me, as im sure yours will do for you. By the way, if you need stabilizer jacks, the ones i have in the second pic i picked up at harbor freight for $17 a piece @ a sidewalk sale and work awesome, highly recommended.
Lake Mcconaughey, nebraska
P1010235.jpg

Grand junction on the way to Moab
P1010003.jpg

Awesome! Those jacks are exactly what I need. I was thinking of what the hell I could use that would be tall enough.

Dont really know why it has one, its works great. I can get it completely set up in approx 5 mins. And thats cold. I have yet to setup or take down when the cover is warm should be much easier.

Paul R

Adventurer
Looks like you have been doing a great job!
I look forward to see how it looks when everything is done :)

ExpoScout

Explorer
This is a cool idea...might be the solution Ive been looking for, for my rig configuration

I want to see the final product :beer:

euro.love

Adventurer
Finally finished the inner fenders today. They are insulated and sandwiched with this material used in the sign business called econolite. Econolite is 2 pieces of aluminum sheet metal that sandwich corrugated plastic. It it very lite yet is rigid. Found some out back behind the sign company I used to work for. The fenders are plenty strong so they can double as a seat or I may build some sort of table off one so I can have a cooking area. So now all I have to do is some interior decorating and it will be finished. Any suggestions on what material would be good insulate under the carpet. I dont have a picture but I insulated under the sleeping platform as well.

Insulation placed in the fender frame.
Group3055.jpg

Rivited in and all sealed up.
Group3059.jpg

Both fenders.
Group3060.jpg

Outside. I am going to scuff, prime, and paint the fenders which are exposed to the elements.
Group3062.jpg

euro.love

Adventurer
The insulation I used is the pink 1" hard stuff (forgot what its called). Its rated r5 and it was in the bargain shed at the local building supply for $1.00 a piece because the full sheets were broken. Keep it local and ****** all the home depots and lowes. Remember I am building this trailer to survive my 4 month trip which starts May 14th! When I arrive at a final destination I plan on pulling the camper off the frame and building a hard core frame setup. But for now this will do the trick, and it shows how easy it is to build something like this without breaking the bank. Which is good seeing how gas prices are going.

Last edited:

big sky trapper

Adventurer
Great Build! Ive been watching this one for a while. I just picked up a similar pop-up (For FREE!) thats getting the similar treatment this weekend for a start.

Have a few ????

Have you had on the road yet?

How does it handle at highway speeds compared to before with the larger tires and heavier springs?

And last whats your opinion on lengthing the tongue to gain more/tighter turn radious with it?

many thanks...

euro.love

Adventurer
I took it to upstate new york this weekend and it worked out great! Awesome on the highway, cant even feel it behind me. It looked a little bouncy so I think I am going to put some shocks on it. Can't hurt. I got it popped and still had it attached with about a inch to spare between the tailgate, which was awesome. So I dont think I am going to lengthen the tongue, because its a pain in the ***. Backing it up sucks, esp with the camper top. So at the campsite I had to take it off and back it into the spot by hand. By the way KOA's suck, paid 32 bucks for a spot, I was in a pinch and it was late so I didnt have many other options. I have to do alot more work on the interior but all in all its pretty solid and will be ready to go for the summer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz