My relatively in-expensive offroad popup build thread

the Rewster

Observer
Euro love, that looks great.
Did you add shocks? What is the inside curtian/divider made out of, and is it stock or did you make it?

EricG

Explorer
euro.love said:
Well now that its cooling down outside, I have some time to post pics. I also just purchased a 1978 Penn Yan Sportfisherman so my time has been consumed by boating and enjoying the out doors. Here a couple shots of the camper and its interior. I need to figure out a better way to stabilize it when I am off hitch camping. Other than that this camper has been awesome and everyone who sees it asks me about it and wants something like it.

camper2008015.jpg

camper2008019.jpg

camper2008011.jpg

camper2008009.jpg

I love the floor.

euro.love

Adventurer
westernhunter said:
Euro love, that looks great.
Did you add shocks? What is the inside curtian/divider made out of, and is it stock or did you make it?

My girlfriend put on the curtain. Its just 2 pieces of sheer fabric wrapped around the top rod and tied to the downward tubes. She picked it up at a yard sale. It looks great and it is always tied to the frame. So it folds up with the camper so we never have to mess with it.

euro.love said:
My girlfriend put on the curtain. Its just 2 pieces of sheer fabric wrapped around the top rod and tied to the downward tubes. She picked it up at a yard sale. It looks great and it is always tied to the frame. So it folds up with the camper so we never have to mess with it.

can some one shoot me some specs on these trailers? I've heard weights from 750lbs up to 1200lbs? also how wide and long are these? how does the tent do it the wind and rain?

do the support bars for the sleeping part attach to the ground or the trailer? does it feel stable?

How long to deploy and pack up?

Think im interested?:bike_rider:

highlandercj-7

Explorer
IDK where you are, but I just found one in Columbus OH. I kinda want one now too, but I'm no where ready to purchase. The lady is asking 650.00 for it and it's a 91. It looks nice and clean in the pics. I'll PM you the number.

jagular7

Adventurer
lx450landcruiser said:
can some one shoot me some specs on these trailers? I've heard weights from 750lbs up to 1200lbs? also how wide and long are these? how does the tent do it the wind and rain?

do the support bars for the sleeping part attach to the ground or the trailer? does it feel stable?

How long to deploy and pack up?

Think im interested?:bike_rider:

I had one for short time. Used it once and it survived some good winds and rain. Many times, the rain was horizontal.

As for specs, my gateway is 78" so IIRC, its width is 75". Yes, lightweight enough at nearly 900#s empty. Length, I don't recall.

100_4116.jpg

tommudd

Explorer
euro.love or anyone who has one of these Colorados, what type of frame is under them originally, how well built/heavy ?
I would like to have one but have a little more room for "stuff" ( coolers/ firewood/etc) in the front, it will not be going way back country so length would not be a real problem

Thinking of building another frame thats longer, mounting the box to it with 3 foot or so in the front, any pros/cons or you're crazy? :eek:

:safari-rig:
Tom

euro.love

Adventurer
The 2 main frame rails are fairly rugged. If I was wicked into wheeling with this thing I would beef it up some more to elimanate any potential flex. I do have the frame work for the big tires welded to the main frame rails so that adds some solid structure. It sees way more on road use than offroad. I have however, taken it on some really serious trails and it has been great as is. Cant even feel it back there going slow in 4 low. I have a cap on my truck so no need for adding any racks to the trailer for me. It is def do able.

toyotatruckjunkie

Adventurer
All right. This thread just made my decision. I've been milling this idea over and over, torturing myself. I'm doing it. You can find cheap, older, pop ups on Craigs all day long.

I'm buying one, making a longer, stouter frame, putting real springs under it, putting matching tires to my truck on it, and using the snot out of it.

I'm quite sure the $15k+ I don't spend on a true "offroad" trailer will buy lots of gas for my adventures. And the satisfaction of re-designing/building it myself will go a long way too.

Thanks for the final nudge I needed.

Snowrydr01

Observer
Ive read over this thread at least 10 times and its about time i spoke up......BAD *&%.

Your wood floors convinced my non camping fiance that we should keep our eyes out for a used colorado instead of traditional camping or trailer and RTT. Now i can finally include her in my fantasies of hitting the big east coast trails and her riding shotgun .

fjcruzn

Observer
Congrats on an outstanding off-road trailer! Please continue to post future upgrades and mods.

cheers,

dale

Very cool. I am going at 2:00 to look at a pop up... the guy only wants $400, so we'll see how it goes. My brother has looked at it already and says it in decent shape.

Good job on the build, hopefully i'll have one soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz