My relatively in-expensive offroad popup build thread

BigAl

Expedition Leader
euro.love said:
IBacking it up sucks, esp with the camper top. .

Your project is looking great:ylsmoke: Have you considered a burly looking back bumper, possibly with tow points? My brother backed his coleman popup into a tree, it wasn't pretty:mad:

euro.love

Adventurer
Yeah, thats on the to do list. I havent had a chance to get my tubing bender put together yet, but that is going to be my first project when I do. I also need to make some sort of step to get in. This thing is high off the ground and for my girlfriend and dog its a pain.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
euro.love said:
So I dont think I am going to lengthen the tongue, because its a pain in the ***. Backing it up sucks, esp with the camper top. So at the campsite I had to take it off and back it into the spot by hand.

A longer tongue will help in the backing up department. You will get used to a shorter tongue, but it takes awhile.

I'm sure it is fairly easy to move by hand, but if you can back it in, it saves you a couple of steps.

Nice build, btw.

cjmitchell5

Adventurer
:clapsmile Wow, that is awesome! I was originally thinking of something like this but was afraid of frame/body strength. I don't know how well the wood construction holds up to hours of washboard. I had changed my mind and was thinking either a US M101 or M116 (I know they're big, it'll be behind a F250). But after seeing this I might look into more in depth.

I'm not looking at rock crawling with the trailer, again it only has to be as capable as an F250 w/ 255's.

Another bonus, the land rover would be able to tow it, albeit slowly.

the Rewster

Observer
I have done this to my colorado also.
Have you adressed the shocks yet?
I also extended the hitch 16".
Saving now for a lock and roll hitch.

euro.love

Adventurer
I have used this about 6 times since the build. Its awesome to say the least. I have been up some awesome trails. I was up in New Hampshire 2 weeks ago and we went exploring some snowmobile trails and would up camping in the middle of the white mountians. I got a waeco CF50 which makes everything in my camping life so much better. Best money I have ever spent I think. Oh, and on the way home from NH we got stuck in stopped traffic on 95 south, so I just drove off the interstate and onto some power lines trail and found our way to a side road. I could have never done that with it stock. Anyways thats all I got so far. I need to post some updated pics of the interior. I painted it and installed a hardwood floor.

pint

Adventurer
Great build! Any updates or more pics inside & out? I will be buying/building something next year, and this may be just the ticket!

pint

Adventurer
Anyone else building/modding a bad *** pop-up like this??? I think I may give it a go next spring. Just sold my M101 trailer because my family wanted a pop-up. I was a bit scared as I knew it would limit where I drug it...not any more!!!

the Rewster

Observer
I did this exact thing to my colorado sport, but I cut my fenders more square to match my Cherokee.
I have taken it down some prety rough trails but I am still using a ball copeler.
Next week My buddy and I will be living in it for 5 days on an archery elk hunt. wish me luck.:REOutArchery02:

pint

Adventurer
westernhunter said:
I did this exact thing to my colorado sport, but I cut my fenders more square to match my Cherokee.
I have taken it down some prety rough trails but I am still using a ball copeler.
Next week My buddy and I will be living in it for 5 days on an archery elk hunt. wish me luck.:REOutArchery02:

Where are the pictures???

Funrover

Expedition Leader
pint said:
Anyone else building/modding a bad *** pop-up like this??? I think I may give it a go next spring. Just sold my M101 trailer because my family wanted a pop-up. I was a bit scared as I knew it would limit where I drug it...not any more!!!

Kind off doing this.... 1971 Cox Conestoga camper. Rover axle, Wagoneer leafs, 32" truxus tires. I will post pics when I take them.

geeze

What are the dimensions of this trailer? Looks interesting, maybe construct a taller box to mount the canvas to. Any better pictures of how this trailer opens up?

tommudd

Explorer
geeze said:
What are the dimensions of this trailer? Looks interesting, maybe construct a taller box to mount the canvas to. Any better pictures of how this trailer opens up?

mmmmmmaybe go back to the first post and look at the pictures????:xxrotflma just messin with ya

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design