My *slow going* M416 camping trailer build.

Trailpsycho

Observer
Cant tell from the pics, Are you keeping the round tube rails or replacing them? I saw where one guy added some angle to the rail for reinforcement and also to provide a better mating surface for the lid. I am on the fence. I think some 1X2 tube would be ideal for strength and such, but I wasnt sure on how much hassle it would be to remove the round tube lip, then rebend the sheet over the 1" rectangular edge. Surely someone has already done this. Need to do a search I suppose...

It wasnt quite clear from the pics how you were addressing this with your lid above.

Good score on the generator.

Good luck!

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Cant tell from the pics, Are you keeping the round tube rails or replacing them? I saw where one guy added some angle to the rail for reinforcement and also to provide a better mating surface for the lid. I am on the fence. I think some 1X2 tube would be ideal for strength and such, but I wasnt sure on how much hassle it would be to remove the round tube lip, then rebend the sheet over the 1" rectangular edge. Surely someone has already done this. Need to do a search I suppose...

It wasnt quite clear from the pics how you were addressing this with your lid above.

Good score on the generator.

Good luck!

There is 1.5" C-Channel that is going to be the bottom of the lid and it will mate to the original round tube top lip of the trailer. We are going to reinforce the trailer where the hinges mount. There are not a lot of really tough trails around here, and it likely may only head west a few times later in life so I think it will be ok. We figure it is worth a try anyway.

The generator wasn't as big of score as I thought it was at first. They did guarantee it and said I could return it if it did not work. I thought it only had a broken breather line as I was told a friend of theirs borrowed it and used it. I got fuel in it and that was the fuel line that was broken. I replaced the fuel line and it still did not want to run (it would on ether). I tore apart the carb and the bowl had 1/8"+ of varnish and the main jet was completely plugged. I cleaned it all up and put it back together and it runs great, I have a tank of gas running through it now with some Seafoam in it to clean it up some more. Then I will give it an oil change. The oil looked clean though.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Microwave that will be a part of the trailer. I found this at a garage sale YEARS ago (about 15). I think it is about 1 cu ft. I forgot I had it until I started working on this build. I had it hidden in my bedroom when I was in HS.

It is 750 Watt, so it is right at the edge of what my generator can do, same as my invertor. It wouldn't be used often though.

IMAG2549.jpg

The glass bottom is in the dishes waiting to be washed.

IMAG2550.jpg

I did not realize how little 800W is until I tried to run a mini air compressor. It wouldn't even spin, but my 4.5" angle grinder took off great. Then I found a chart and converted the 5.5 amps of the grinder to watts and realized it was at 1500W. That air compressor required double the grinder even. I guess I need to stay under about 5A output for this generator.

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
will be watching to see where this goes, I may copy a few ideas fro my M416 from you

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
The Coleman outlet was having a truckload sale and I ended up dropping some coin there today in preparation for the trailer and our trip.

Picked up 2 of these for inside of the lid when at camp. They may get used elsewhere, but I thought they may be good for that.

IMAG2581.jpg

Picked this up because the wife wanted it for the trailer.

IMAG2582.jpg

Also got a lantern holder and some other things.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
LOL on the tongue box. Harbor Freight right??

It must be required equipment on M416's. Set mine up to still use the brake.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
LOL on the tongue box. Harbor Freight right??

It must be required equipment on M416's. Set mine up to still use the brake.

I wanted a different one... but the plastic TSC ones are as much as the HF steel one, and the aluminum one I wanted was more then double the price. I HATE buying the Chinese stuff but this and the jacks were a no brainer. Mine will still use the brake as well, I feel it is a must when using it with the RTT, especially at an elevated height.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
I'm on the road, but my buddy sent me some pictures from tonight!

2012-07-3195201127.jpg

He removed the brake handle and is going to mount it horizontally under the box. This allowed him to tuck the box further back and lower.

2012-07-3195210913.jpg

2012-07-3195201127.jpg

2012-07-3195201111.jpg

andysgreenxj

Observer
Hi, my name is Andy, and im new to the forum, and just gotta say that there are some great builds in here!!! im in the planning stages or expo trailer build and have been wandering through here as well as a couple other sights, and have some really awesome looking builds, including this one...when i do actually start my build, ill def post the project here... :beer:

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
More pics from tonight...

Marine pull switch, first position turns on the invertor, second position turns on the battery meter and invertor

IMAG2592.jpg

AC Connection/charger connection

IMAG2593.jpg

Removable tail light pigtail

IMAG2604.jpg

IMAG2594.jpg

IMAG2595.jpg

Tail light boxes

IMAG2596.jpg

IMAG2597.jpg

it will be a knee catcher, but it works.

IMAG2598.jpg

Painted the front preparing for the box. Most of the old paint was in decent shape so I knocked off the loose stuff then primed. Messing with the CARC or whatever it is called is not on my agenda anytime soon.

IMAG2599.jpg

It was about this point we realized the fender had gotten bent.

IMAG2601.jpg

I cut it loose, and Adam will get it welded back up. There will be diamond plate on the top as a step

IMAG2605.jpg

Some pics with the box setting in place

IMAG2602.jpg

IMAG2603.jpg

Also trying to figure out where to mount the spare since the back will have a kitchen area... I may just mount it and get a portable kitchen.

Last edited:

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Looking good!

Glad to see that nose box fit so well. I just saw one at HF yesterday, and wrote down the dimensions.

Now I don't have to try and envision how it will look!

:coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3