Namibia and Botswana

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
We are on the ground in Johannesburg. Rumors of the security situation in this city appear to be greatly over-exaggerated. It is cleaner and more modern than Los Angeles. We were also greeted with cooler weather than we expected - including rain.

This is the message I have been broadcasting since my first visit in S.A. 5 years ago.

JNB was quite a surprise, not at all what I had expected.

I have never encountered violence but always got rained on.

:)

flywgn

Explorer
Scott, I know that you and Stephanie are going to have a grand time. I predict two things. One, you'll run out of time and want to extend your stay. Two, immediately upon departing southern Africa you'll begin to make plans to return.

Allen R

BajaBus

Adventurer
South Africa, the mountain kingdom of Lesotho, Namibia and Botswana are an absolute dream of mine. Enjoy every moment!

AZchris

Adventurer
I predict two things. One, you'll run out of time and want to extend your stay. Two, immediately upon departing southern Africa you'll begin to make plans to return.

Allen R

This is true. My wife and I went on a vacation there and loved it so much we bought a house (while on vacation) and returned a few months later. There's something about SA that really grabs a hold of you. Be warned, haha.

Scott Brady

Founder
We leave in the morning for the Mountain Kingdom in an old 460 G-Wagen. A short solo trip with Stephanie before our longer push north to Madikwe and the Botswana border. We are already feeling the pull to slow the trips goals down a bit and avoid the longer drive. There is no question we will be back, so why not slow it all down.

The South African people are absolutely wonderful. Africa is slowly seeping into our bones.

Scott Brady

Founder
We have officially slowed our itinerary to soak up more of the country. We just spent a day at the Giants Castle (for my birthday) and then moved deeper into the Drakensburg. We are currently in Underberg for a quick resupply (and a good coffee and WiFi at the Grind Cafe). Off to Lesotho via Sani Pass.

We are driving this fantastic little G-280 G-Wagen that has done little protesting in heavy rain and deep mud. All of the rivers are swollen and the road is filled with water and rocks. It is slow, but sturdy. I will try to post some pictures soon.

In the meantime, this is one of my favorites - felt like a pilgrimage!

web.jpg

flywgn

Explorer
... All of the rivers are swollen and the road is filled with water and rocks...

Well, " 'Tis the season to be rainy, tra la la la la..." I'll bet some of those cracking good T-storms will remind you of AZ.

Allen R

PS And, oh yeah, a belated Happy Birthday. What a great place to celebrate!

Last edited:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Have a Great Trip!

Visit Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift if you can.

Lived in Gaborone for three years in the late 1980's. It has changed, at lot, but Botswana is still the crown jewel of critter viewing.

Enjoy! (And pay no attention to my jealousy!)

geovalue

Adventurer
We have officially slowed our itinerary to soak up more of the country. We just spent a day at the Giants Castle (for my birthday) and then moved deeper into the Drakensburg. We are currently in Underberg for a quick resupply (and a good coffee and WiFi at the Grind Cafe). Off to Lesotho via Sani Pass.

We are driving this fantastic little G-280 G-Wagen that has done little protesting in heavy rain and deep mud. All of the rivers are swollen and the road is filled with water and rocks. It is slow, but sturdy. I will try to post some pictures soon.

web.jpg

So pleased you made it to the Drakensburg We love that place so know how you feel
Safe travels and continue to have African fun
Janet and Tom

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader

web.jpg

Hiking in the Northern Drakensberg is also spectacular but watch out for flash floods in slot canyons. For what its worth, the film "Zulu" was shot there although its nowhere near Rorke's Drift!

luangwablondes

Adventurer
Scott

If you are passing through Maun, stop in at Maun Self Drive 4x4. They will be looking for you. Besides helping you with park reservations, you will find them a wealth of information. I have given the McKenzies a heads up just in case.

Robbie

Scott Brady

Founder
We have decided to slow the pace. We are going to Madikwe for 3-4 days of lodge and game drives, and then into a bush camp to use and enjoy the Entdecker. To push into Namibia and Botswana would just be too much.

Africa demands more time - I will likely come back in July or August.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk

Members online